My Top 14 Thrillers (as of now)

Tools    

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
This is my personal list of my favorite suspenseful flicks. It's a little redundant in actors I'll admit, but I can't help the truth in my opinion. I'm aware that I'm missing out on quite a few great thrillers, but it's a work in progress. As of now, here's the list:

14. The Net (1995)

Although some may call this out-dated, this scenario is still very possible today. Sandra Bullock pulls off the lead role without notable flaws, and the plot is exciting. It's been a while since I watched it, but I remember being glued to the edge of my seat.

13. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

A prime Hitchcock thriller, but not my favorite. Jimmy Stewart delivers a magnificent performance as usual, but there was something about Day's performance or character I found weak. The climax at the concert had my friend screaming as she watched!

12. Charley Varrick (1973)

Starring Walter Matthau (who gives a superb performance!), Charley Varrick seldom drags. It's one of his less comedic roles but one of his best. I found the characters to be well-developed as well as the plot. I've enjoyed watching this flick multiple times.

11. Mirage (1965)

Gregory Peck is stellar in this story full of twists and turns. I'm sure it will keep you guessing just like I was. Matthau's supporting performance provides a few laughs along the way as well. I dare you to attempt to predict how this one ends (unless you've seen it already)

10. To Catch A Thief (1955)

Here's a true classic for you! To Catch A Thief isn't my favorite Hitchcock + Grant combination, but there's plenty of witty dialouge and intrigue throughout the whole film. Does more than just keep one entertained and who doesn't love to watch the beautiful Grace Kelly?

9. Die Hard (1988)

Having sat down to watch this as a young girl, when my dad sat me down to watch this I expected to hate it, but I thoroughly enjoyed this flick! An action classic if there ever was one. It has humor and suspense, which are my two favorite things in a movie. Most people can comment on Die Hard much better than I can, so ask just about anybody or watch it yourself and you'll understand.

[Now it's really getting difficult to choose]

8. No Way Out (1987)

At this sight, feelings about Coster seemed to be mixed, but this is a favorite performance and film of mine. I can't imagine being in the lead character's position with everything seeming to work against you. The first half-an-hour or so I kept asking "what is the point of all this?" and then it all started coming together and the end completely blew me away!

7. The Fugitive (1993)

This is one of a few Harrison Ford flicks to come on my list. He and Tommy Lee Jones were perfect for their characters. If you're a nail-bitter during tense scenes, you won't have any nails left after watching this. You can't find an action/suspense better than The Fugitive

6. North By Northwest (1959)

Hitchcock was never better than in this famous film. Cary Grant is amazing as Roger O. Thornhill, and the rest of the cast lives up to the standard. Everything about this film is sort of chic and classy. You can't call yourself a high-class movie lover without viewing this one.

5. Patriot Games (1992)

Perhaps it's because I enjoyed the Tom Clancy novel as well as the movie, but this is definately one of my favorite Ford flicks. Jack Ryan's personality is that a real guy, which I think is why he's so cool. You can't help but root for him. The intense scene in Ryan's pitch-black house near the end of the film can't be beat!

4. Wait Until Dark (1967)

I don't think I could fully comprehend how thrilling this was until I watched it. I was scared out of my wits in suspense once the action really started up until the final five minutes of the movie. Audrey's never been better! If you'd like to see more on this, read my already posted review.

3. Air Force One (1997)

This film never dragged! The bad guys are ruthless, and it's a blast to watch Ford's character (the president) out-smart them. I was holding my breath nearly the entire time.

2. Notorious (1946)

Cary and Ingrid are at the top of their game in this Hitchcock masterpiece! I'm still fighting back screams at the intense wine cellar scene. Claude Rains is perfect as Alisha's devilish Nazi husband. Really, it was the end of this film that makes it for me.

1. Charade (1963)

Charade has everything you could want in a film: comedy, suspense, and romance. This who-dun-it stars some of my favorites: Walter Matthau, James Coburn, George Kennedy and especially the leads Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn who have chemistry to burn. Also to be mentioned: the terrific Henry Mancini score.

I love seeing North By Northwest, Die Hard, and The Man Who Knew Too Much on there.

I was going to comment on this but it's been so long since i've watched it, I won't.

13. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
I always thought this to be one of Hitchcocks weakest efforts in his strongest period as a filmmaker. It was made in his most predominatly era which started with Strangers on a Train and lasted till Marine everything but The Man Who Knew Too Much are masterpieces or near masterpieces.

12. Charley Varrick (1973)
FANTASTIC CHOICE. This was rather out of the blue and I agree with your views that you have on the film Walter Mathew was at the top of has game and really played down the humor and his comedic talents.

11. Mirage (1965)
I'll have to check this out thanks for the recommendation.

8. No Way Out (1987)

At this sight, feelings about Coster seemed to be mixed, but this is a favorite performance and film of mine. I can't imagine being in the lead character's position with everything seeming to work against you. The first half-an-hour or so I kept asking "what is the point of all this?" and then it all started coming together and the end completely blew me away!
I remember seeing this when I was staying in England. It blew me away. the film has some creative twists and turns. The suspense and thrills kept me rivited to my seat. Everyone turns in an awesome performance.

7. The Fugitive (1993)
Top Notch Thriller, defiantly in my list.

4. Wait Until Dark (1967)

I'd have a hard time not listing this one in my as well. Alan Arkin is truely scary as a psychopathic killer who takes vast enjoyment out of cause pain to people.

3. Air Force One (1997)
It's a little hokey in parts but as a basic popcorn flick were you know almost everything that's going to happen and it still keeps you in suspense. There's a movie called Airport though somewhat corny by today's standards did as well of a job as this film another plane in the sky hijack film that I rather liked and I seem to be alone on this is Executive Descion.

Check out The Train starring Burt Lanchster directed by John Frankenheimer

This has got me thinking what would my top thrillers be, I'll have to come back and submit a list.

thanks for sharing

Interesting List, Has anything change since you last made this it ?

After much debate, I’ve taken out almost all of the extreme genre films such as Action films Die Hard and others, Sci-fi films Aliens and others and many more horror films and the such. I’ve come up with this assortment of varied and great thrillers. Some Forgotten gems, wonderfully generic thrillers, OTT, classics, alternative, a few hated films, political thrillers and some other stuff too. Is there any big ones I’ve missed surely anything that shouldn’t be there. Tell me.

Switchback - This one never seems to be mentioned it’s a little odd but the performances are good and the suspense, even better.
The Sixth Sense - Many would call this a horror film or a drama it’s defiantly a bit of both. Though the material leads it to being more of a tale of thrilling moments and hard hitting dramatics.
Sorcerer - I know whatever one is going to say the original is so much better and while I do agree it is better not by much. The thing that hurts this film is it’s un necessary introductions. I like the mystery of the characters in the first one.
One False Move - Hard hitting thriller. Everyone comes to the table on this one.
Jacob's Ladder - A bit of a cheat cause I’d classify this more on the horror side but it’s still arguable. Not giving anything away.
Judgement Night - Rather silly little thriller I’ve always enjoyed. Leary is quite himself and quite funny. I remember watching this with a friend and just loving the characters getting deeper and deeper into it.
Insomnia (Original) - Hands down way better then Nolan’s remake though I guess most haven’t seen this one, do yourself and favour forgot the remake and check it out.
The Vanishing (1988) - Creepy and intelligent.
8MM - I’ve always enjoy this one but I maybe the only one in admiration.
The Lady Vanishies - neat little thriller that takes place mostly on a train. Beautiful scripted tightly shot and interestingly acted.
Les Diaboliques - I’ve only been able to see this on really bad VHS tapes it’s a testament to it’s greatness.
The Beast Must Die - Many people call Chabrol the French Hitchcock it’s not that obvious but some of his films like this one defiantly have a lingering Hitchcockian underpinning.
Wait Until Dark - Need I say more.
Z - One of the best Political thrillers around hasn’t lost a touch.
Seconds - Frankenheimer was know for certain eccentricities. This one leans towards more.
Winter Kills - Claustrophobic thriller with lots of political entanglement.
Marathon Man - Is it Safe ?
Last Embrace - Schiender is terrific in the lead. Demme goes Hitchcock for a movie.
Duel - A small gem, from a now colossus director. Staggeringly simple.
The China Syndrome - Reality check thriller. This one foreseen the future. I love the intensity of the film.
The Boys From Brazil - Fantastic stuff. I’ve had this on countless times in the last year alone.
Zodiac - Very Creepy thriller with extreme detail.
V for Vendetta - Again a bit of a cheat, The basic storyline is alone so intensely done.
Spartan - Mamet weaves his con re con re con etc Kilmer hits his stride on his first stepa nd doesn’t look back.
Taken - A late edition. Nesson’s portrayal of a Dad that will stop at nothing to bring home his daughter that’s been kidnapped in a foreign country is brutal poetry.
Panic Room - Almost made like a play house for Fincher to workout his film techniques while giving you a good thriller.
The Others - Haunting film.
Children of Men - INTENSE from start to finish.
No Country for Old Men - Coen brothers best.
Witness for the Prosecution - classic gem. Anybody getting into old films should have a look into this.
The Manchurian Candidate - startling masterpiece.
Battle Royale - vivid, harsh, OTT it all works.
Hotel Rwanda - Tense.
Missing - frighteningly real. Based on a true story.
Flatliners - Highly stylized neo thriller.
The Silence of the Lambs - Everybody is in full form.
Basic Instinct - I might be alone on this one.
The Crying Game - fascinating thriller.
Fire in the Sky - Alien abduction.
The Fugitive - Big Thrills.
In the Line of Fire - tight plot. Good concept. Perfectly made.
Seven - visionary.
Strange Days - Forget Hurt Locker give me this any day.
Independence Day - Big bash up. Good Fun.
Primal Fear - I got caught with my pants down at the end of this one.
Twister - I’m defiantly alone with this one.
Breakdown - Generic thriller but oh so fun.
The Game - Insantantly fall in love. Great thriller.
The International - A mix match of high wire tension with a great background story.
L.A. Confidential - In your face, nasty, jaw dropingly beautiful.
All The President’s Men - My heart was race as the tension rows and rows to that climax.
Ronin - wonderfully magical.
Cruising - Dark subject matter and not for everyone’s tastes.
Blow Out - De Palma’s best film
Eye of the Needle - spy thriller with a love story twist.
Still of the Night - Benton creates a heart pounding american giallo.
The Dead Zone - Epic performance by Walken. Cronenberg’s most approachable film of his early work.
Coma - I was enthralled by the whole concept. I’ve been told the book is great.
Blood Simple - Absurdly clever. The Coen Brothers debut is a stunner of a film.
Body Double - I would like to see De Palma revisit these themes again someday.
Runaway Train - Voight is atomic. An out of control train wait that’s all I’m saying.
Manhunter - Craftsmanship to the highest order.
No Way Out - A whole lot of fun.
The Abyss - I wouldn’t be so fast to call it a sci-fi, action, drama or and other multiple genres thought it was thrilling by all accounts.
Cohen and Tate - Watch this as a Double with BAVA’s Stray Dogs.
Dead Calm - terror.
Sea of Love - I enjoyed the characters motivations and the themes.
The Bird with the Crystal Plumage - Giallo Italian horror with Htichcockian delight.
The Train (1970) - Burt Lancaster and train he’s got a date with.
Play Misty for Me - Some what amateurish in style. Works on just so many levels.
The Girl Who Knew Too Much - BAVA`s best. A Director`s Director
The Mechanic - I was thinking of putting Death Hunt but nah The Mechanic is just that much better.
The Poseidon Adventure (1972) - High sea and upside down.
Sleuth - A jolly good time. Two actors one set and a brilliant screenplay.
The Day of the Jackal - For when you really want to see a good assassin film.
The Conversation - twisted. Hackman`s the real deal.
The Odessa File - The 70`s have there fair share of underrated gems. This is one of them.
The Parallax View - Pakula made an abundance of tight tense thrillers. A handful of them worked on ever level The Parallax View is one of them.
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) - Cool, unique, what a blast.
Dog Day Afternoon - It`s nail biting time.
Jaws - perfect storytelling.
Three Days of the Condor - Smart spy flick.
Strangers on a train - Hitchcock disturb.
The Thing from Another World - A another cheat really it’s a sci-fi I admit.
The African Queen - As comedic as it is thrilling.
The Wages of Fear - increasing entanglement of suspense.
Blue Velvet - A command of colors, mood, atmosphere and situations.
Dial M for Murder - a thriller that tells you how the murder is going to be committed. Interesting and in 3D too.
Rear Window - Pure Cinema.
Bad Day at Black Rock - Perfectly tuned.
The Dam Busters - This shouldn’t be so good.
The Night of the Hunter - Laughton directs a stunner.
12 Angry Men - A Thriller that basically never leaves a room. That never shows a murder and is about people talk and discussing theories and ideas with a young man’s life hanging virtual in the balance.
Vertigo - My favourite Hitchcock.
North by Northwest - So many memorable sequences.
Gaslight - Atmospheric.
Shadow of a Doubt - If there’s such a thing as a not well know Hitchcock film this would be it.
And Then There Were None (1945) - what a rump.
Stray Dog - This film feels like a punch in the gut.
The Third Man -Distinct.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My Top 20 Thrillers (though order isn't correct)

Man on Fire
Gone Baby Gone
Deja Vu
L.A. Confidential
State of Play
V for Vendetta
Prestige
Silence of the Lambs
Heat
North by Northwest
Rear Window
Seven
Disturbia
Collateral
Red Eye
Shooter
Dial M for Murder
Butterfly Effect
Enemy of the State
Signs
No Country for Old Men

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Rear Window and Disturbia should never be on the same list.
Yes, everybody hates Disturbia because it stole its whole premise from Rear Window. I think it justs show how impactful Rear Window has been in film history. It's not as good as Rear Window, but I still enjoy Disturbia.

Yes, everybody hates Disturbia because it stole its whole premise from Rear Window. I think it justs show how impactful Rear Window has been in film history. It's not as good as Rear Window, but I still enjoy Disturbia.
I'm a huge Rear Window fanboy yet I still really dug distrubia. not nearly as much but so many things are homages or considered stolen ideas and remakes these days originality is not one of Distrubia's strong suits. Though it mixes in the teen culture pretty good and brought back some things I had not thought about for sometime about my youth.

My Top 20 Thrillers (though order isn't correct)
Deja Vu
Prestige
Shooter
Butterfly Effect
Enemy of the State
I thought about putting Enemy of the State in. It's probably Tony Scott's at his most popcorn/over the top form. It's a crowd pleaser. Shooter, I got say I thought was a hardcore action film. Deja Vu and Prestige I wish I would have thought of those. Great choices. I'm not big on Butterfly effect interesting choice nother the less.