Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

I always think of him as RoboCop, but if I had to name a second movie with him it'd be Shakedown. That's not a deep list.
Not the biggest fan of RoboCop and I've not seen Shakedown, that probably gives away too much

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Been a minute, but I always loved RoboCop, and it is hard NOT to think of Weller without thinking RoboCop. But considering the number of times I've seen Naked Lunch (in my youth, ALWAYS on acid or very, very stoned). Though just as enjoyable for me, sober, this ranks kinda even for me. Loved him in the Longmire TV Series.

Like Allaby stated, They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is an extremely well-made film by Pollack, but oh, so, way, way, so, Suicide Watch, bleak.

Double Indemnity is iconic when it comes to noir. A powerhouse from the man! Wilder. Seen it many times, and my recent watches were spent focusing more on Robinson's subtleties.

I've only seen Catch Me If You Can once and found myself enjoying it more than I expected, which for some reason at the time, wasn't very much. Have not seen it since.

Seconds was a strange watch where I swung back and forth from engaged to not so much.

The Innocents just oozed mood, and the cinematography was dead on. Though, if I remember it was low on my vote when I saw it in an HoF.

I bounce back and forth on Being John Malkovich, but I always enjoy the last act.

I enjoyed Collateral when it came to Cruise's hitman. But Fox's character irritated me. I was cheering for Cruise to take him out.

Have not seen The Tenant nor Coda, and I enjoyed La Famille Bélier, so with the rarity of an American remake improving on a film, as I read in Cosmic's review, does raise my curiosity.

With Monday off for Labor Day -- HAPPY HOLIDAY for those enjoying it, I'll be watching one, possibly two more this weekend.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It doesn't look like it, but I think there's still like 300
That's insane to think that there's still that much. I must have about 3000 left then.

Catch Me If You Can

It was pretty obvious that this was a slam dunk film for me, yet I haven't been able to get around to it until now. The cat and mouse games between Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprios characters were just the perfect recipe for me. These are two characters that I really grew to enjoy as each minute of the film passed by. Rare to see two of the greats of their generation in the same film and that's what we have here and it was certainly on showcase as they both turned in really good performances. I liked Adams in her role too and she's one of my favorites as well. Spielberg did a really good job directing this as well. The script was tight and the story was very engaging and well told. My favorite scene was probably the Miami airport scene, it was really well done. I particularly thought the last twenty minutes were also pretty special. Thanks to whoever nominated, great choice.

Surprised that you hadn't seen Catch Me if You Can up to now, Raul. I haven't seen it either and am a little surprised it hasn't been picked for me yet.

I was going to be shocked if you didn’t love Catch Me, Rauldc. I have liked it more each viewing and I’m probably about due for my fourth.

I forgot the opening line.
It's been ages since I last saw The Naked Lunch - it's a film that always reminds me of having strange waking dreams that make sense when you're in them, but when you fully wake become bizarre, unrelatable, psychedelic anecdotes. I remember the creatures in the film always oozing, with phallic imagery coming at me from everywhere. I remember it went from normal to completely crazy in the first 4 or so minutes. I'll have to get myself the Criterion edition, because I don't have it on DVD or Blu-Ray at all.

I watched Catch Me If You Can again recently - I think it had just appeared on the 2000s Top 100 Countdown and I wanted to refresh my memory. It has that Steven Spielberg sheen to it, with interesting characters - and it also has a great opening credits, and those credits would definitely fit my top 100 Opening Credits List (I need another 22 - I'm searching.)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Just watched another film, and will hopefully write something about it later. In the meantime, here's a related image:

It feels weird to be almost finished the HoF this early. Guess I've just had more free time than usual lately haha.

The Iron Giant (1999)

Another film that I, at the time of its release, thought little of and didn't bother checking out. Silly moi.
Researching, I found out it is Directed by Animator/Director/Writer Brad Bird with three favorites under his belt; Ratatouille, The Incredibles, and Mission Impossible; Ghost Protocol which kicked my curiosity into genuine interest and it paid off.

Now, as his first Directing gig, I was not head over heels, but I WAS very much engaged and found many of the characters' appearance novel, much like looking at a caricature, something I quite enjoyed. It added a certain something to the mix.

With many of the usual emotional connections in any Disney or Pixar film where Bird comes from though this was a Warner Production, there are some slight variations to the formula, including a mild dose of gravitas at a few points that brings Bird's individuality into play. Such as the film in class with cartoon characters showing kids how to Duck and Cover when the Atomic Bomb hit.

Set in 1957, we have a mixture of retro nostalgia without specifically dating the storyline of an "outsider" kid who befriends a 100 ft tall Robot. His origin is left entirely unknown, and such a considerable pothole becomes almost inconsequential to the story. Which is NOT an easy task.

Thoughtful and warm-hearted, with crisp animation and a compelling story, a list of secondary actors doing first-rate jobs, this was a wonderful way to spend a late Saturday morning.

So, THANK YOU to whoever nominated this.

Rango

This is a film that has sat and collected dust in my DVD cabinet. A couple of attempts to watch it that never worked out as well, and now here we are.

The most impressive thing to me is the voice acting of Johnny Depp as Rango as he really gives the character some flair and helps to make Rango a character to really root for. I really liked the scenes of the hawk chasing him and his reactions towards those close calls. I also liked his standoffs with the snake.

The music in this film is really quite spectacular choices. I liked the birds with the guitars who helped to narrate the film as well, they were badass. My favorite part though had to be the homage to Clint Eastwood. Really dug that as a big fan of him.

While I can't really pinpoint exactly what was missing for the film to reach the next level for me, it really was quite an adventurous film to say the least. Pretty confident Cricket was the nominator.

+

@John-Connor
Whatever you do, don't skip The Two Faces of January.
Seen it, liked it, still contemplating what I think of the ending but overall solid Thriller/Noir/Mystery..

THE TWO FACES OF JANUARY 2014 Hossein Amini

1h 36m | Thriller | Mystery | Romance | Film-Noir
Writer: Patricia Highsmith
Cast: Viggo Mortensen, Kirsten Dunst, Oscar Isaac

+ 72/100

The Two Faces of January. Seen it, liked it, still contemplating what I think of the ending but overall solid Thriller/Noir/Mystery..
Cool...I was working on my 2010s master list for the countdown and just double checked to make sure I had that movie on my list. It's been awhile since I seen The Two Faces of January so I don't remember the ending well, but I do know that I liked Kirsten Dunst in it! Thanks for watching it

Rango

This is a film that has sat and collected dust in my DVD cabinet. A couple of attempts to watch it that never worked out as well, and now here we are.

The most impressive thing to me is the voice acting of Johnny Depp as Rango as he really gives the character some flair and helps to make Rango a character to really root for. I really liked the scenes of the hawk chasing him and his reactions towards those close calls. I also liked his standoffs with the snake.

The music in this film is really quite spectacular choices. I liked the birds with the guitars who helped to narrate the film as well, they were badass. My favorite part though had to be the homage to Clint Eastwood. Really dug that as a big fan of him.

While I can't really pinpoint exactly what was missing for the film to reach the next level for me, it really was quite an adventurous film to say the least. Pretty confident Cricket was the nominator.

+
Not cricket. It was me, and I am happily surprised you enjoyed it for the amount you did. I knew this would be a wildcard and didn't expect much. It did turn out rather ironic since you and sean are the most problematic for picking for, I thought I had a chance with his choice and disappointment with yours. lol

Considering it came in at #5 just for my Comedy Countdown Voting List, it is an understatement of my love for this film. And yeah, Depp's voice was ideal for Rango.

Cool...I was working on my 2010s master list for the countdown and just double checked to make sure I had that movie on my list. It's been awhile since I seen The Two Faces of January so I don't remember the ending well, but I do know that I liked Kirsten Dunst in it! Thanks for watching it
Thinking about it, Kirsten Dunst is a bit of an underappreciated actress. I'd be curious about this because of her.

Thinking about it, Kirsten Dunst is a bit of an underappreciated actress. I'd be curious about this because of her.
I just read my old review of The Two Faces of January, I think it might just be a lock on my 2010s ballot. If you're interested here's a link to my review and it's spoiler free.
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...88#post1365788

Dunst is one of my faves