The Resident Bitch's Movie Log

→ in
Tools    

So because of all the Hedwig talk going on.... I decided to watch the ending of Hedwig and the Angry Inch with the commentary by John Cameron Mitchell on.... hoping it might give me some insight about the ending, because the ending has always perplexed me. First time I saw it, I didn't understand it at all. I've been understanding it more and more with more viewings, but I still never feel completely sure of it.

...... And.... the commentary didn't offer me much.... but one thing he said.... I thought you should know, in case you didn't......

You hate Stanley Kubrick movies, right?

Well, that ending was supposed to be a homage to Stanley Kubrick's films.

That's why it's weird and not easy to understand. It's trying to be like a Stanley Kubrick movie.

So because of all the Hedwig talk going on.... I decided to watch the ending of Hedwig and the Angry Inch with the commentary by John Cameron Mitchell on.... hoping it might give me some insight about the ending, because the ending has always perplexed me. First time I saw it, I didn't understand it at all. I've been understanding it more and more with more viewings, but I still never feel completely sure of it.

...... And.... the commentary didn't offer me much.... but one thing he said.... I thought you should know, in case you didn't......

You hate Stanley Kubrick movies, right?

Well, that ending was supposed to be a homage to Stanley Kubrick's films.

That's why it's weird and not easy to understand. It's trying to be like a Stanley Kubrick movie.
Interesting. Regardless of the homage though, there's one HUGE difference between Hedwig and anything Kubrick: It's entertaining.

3:10 to Yuma (James Mangold, 2007)
Imdb

Date Watched: 5/22/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: I was in the mood for more Russell Crowe
Rewatch: Yes

Possible Spoilers Ahead

Westerns have long been a very hit or miss genre for me, but when this movie came out it was instant love. I saw it three times in the theater and at one point it was in my top ten. As time has passed, it's fallen below other films, but I still absolutely love this movie.

I've read a lot of disparaging remarks about this movie and plenty of nit-picking about the plot. People are entitled to their opinions and I won't deny that there are some inconsistencies, but for me the plot of this particular movie is secondary at best. This is a film about characters and the relationships between them. It's about a father trying to prove himself to a son that hates him. It's about that same father proving to himself that he isn't a coward. It's about a rootless outlaw finding the good in himself. And it's about that outlaw's devoted second-in-command struggling to grasp and accept his leader's betrayal.

And those three central performances are really stellar. I went into this movie the first time expecting to be impressed only by Crowe, and he didn't fail me. His Ben Wade is a confident, charismatic, Bible quoting charmer who is also intelligent and observant. But Christian Bale was impressive, too. Bale is among my least favorite actors, but his stoicism and intensity really lent itself well to the downtrodden but determined rancher. Most surprising for me though was Ben Foster, who I'd previously seen only in X-Men: The Last Stand (which failed to impress me on any level, but I digress). He absolutely owns the screen in every scene. His swagger, his intensity, his brutality, his devotion - all make for a character that is at once despicable but still somehow likable. I even felt a twinge of sorrow when he fell victim to Wade's vengeance.

And on that note, the final scene in this film really makes the movie for me and sets it above the 1957 version. Rather than the (very arbitrary feeling) happy ending of the original, we get an ending that is full of great tension and great sorrow - with just a little hope - and strikes me as a much more satisfying conclusion than the eye-roll inducing end of the original.

+

Master of My Domain
I think I'll try and go see The Nice Guys soon, that's if it actually gets released in theaters here. Or else I'll have to just watch it via streaming.

Welcome to the human race...
I saw 3:10 to Yuma once in theatres and thought it was pretty decent, though I haven't had much urge to re-watch it. Still need to see the original, though if your comments are any indication it probably won't hold up and might actually make me see the remake again.

I generally like the older and original versions of films but I have to say I was impressed with 3:10 to Yuma (2007)...It avoids the gimmicky schluck that is the current trend in Hollywood films. It tells the story more emotionally powerful than the original film. Though the original is also a good film and worth watching.

MV, seeing how you like Russell Crowe, have you seen him in my favorite of his films,

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)

If not check it out sometime.

MV, seeing how you like Russell Crowe, have you seen him in my favorite of his films, [/size]
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (2003)
I have seen it. It's a very good movie, though not a personal favorite.

Don't you mean Letters From Iwo Jima
Yeah... Still can't figure out how the hell you mixed them up.

Bubba Ho-Tep (Don Coscarelli, 2002)
Imdb

Date Watched: 5/24/16
Cinema or Home: Work, on my portable DVD player
Reason For Watching: Have decided to rewatch old favorites in preparation for a new personal top 100

For the uninitiated: Bubba Ho-Tep is about an aging Elvis impersonator (who believes he's the real Presley) and an old black man (who claims to be John F. Kennedy) who team up to fight an undead mummy in cowboy duds that has been picking off the other residents of an East Texas rest home by sucking their souls out of their asses.

Sound absurd? You bet it is and in the best possible way. Bruce Campbell (in the role that made me a fan) and Ossie Davis are an absolute riot as the two protagonists, delivering their lines perfectly and with excellent comic timing. But they have a lot of help from a wildly imaginative script and superb dialogue. The supporting characters are excellent as well, particularly Ella Joyce - a nurse whose job it is, among other things, to apply medication to the suspicious growth on Elvis's penis.

Although classified as a horror comedy, the few horror elements are cartoonishly over the top. Whether it be the "big bitch cockroach" Elvis battles initially or the final showdown with the mummy (whose few lines are spoken in hieroglyphs), the horror serves to further the comedy rather than to provide any real scares. And that's perfectly fine by me, I'm not a fan of horror anyway.

But underneath all the laughs, there is a subtle message about the callous way in which the elderly are often treated in this society - abandoned, forgotten, and regarded with apathy and condescension. The film doesn't dwell too much on this message, however, and it never puts a damper on the fun.

Welcome to the human race...
Bubba Ho-Tep made my first top 100 way back when, but I haven't watched it in many years. Might have to rectify that.

Conspiracy Theory (Richard Donner, 1997)
Imdb

Date Watched: 5/26/16
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: MKUltra was recently mentioned on Archer and it reminded me of this movie

Mel Gibson plays Jerry Fletcher - a paranoid, mentally unstable cab driver who believes in various conspiracies and publishes his theories in a newsletter. He's also infatuated with a female lawyer who works with the justice department, played by Julia Roberts. Crazy though he may be, at least one of his theories turns out to be true and his paranoia is justified as the almost cartoonishly villainous Dr. Jonas (Patrick Stewart) repeatedly attempts to torture, interrogate and kill him.

I've always really enjoyed this movie, ever since seeing it in the theater at age 16. Is it a quality film? I guess that depends on your definition of quality. The story is admittedly rather silly, but Gibson's performance is fantastic and absolutely makes the film. Despite being programmed to be a killer and having endured torturous mind control experimentation, Jerry remains very human. Irreparably damaged, but human. And Gibson infuses this performance with a lot of humor and a lot of heartache. The other performances are good if not particularly noteworthy, but Mel Gibson really shines here. It's a shame he tarnished his own reputation so badly. This movie is a good reminder of why he used to be so loved.

I've been meaning to watch Conspiracy Theory again. Last year (or the year before?) I went on a Mel Gibson binge, but never got around to seeing this one again. Forgot Patrick Stewart was in it. I think this is one of his movies I don't own on DVD though.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Just been catching up on this. You seem to have really caught the reviewing bug. And there are some very nice reviews in there.

Glad to see that you really liked The Good Guys as I know how much you were looking forward to it. As someone who adores Kiss Kiss Bang Bang I'm really hopeful of catching it at the cinema if possible. Also pleased to see that you enjoyed The Imitation Game so much, both because I also really liked it and because I've recommended it to you a couple of times based on your love of A Beautiful Mind.

Conspiracy Theory is one I've not seen in a number of years but I remember finding it very entertaining no matter how daft it was. And I've always been a big Mel Gibson fan. Her is a film I definitely need to give another watch. I thought it was very good but for whatever reason I didn't feel a great connection with it. Temple of Doom was always the black sheep of the Indy trilogy for me. At least until Crystal Skull rocked up. I preferred the treasure hunting aspect of the 1st and 3rd films but my main issue with ToD was always the sidekicks. I hated both Short Round and the girl, found both incredibly irritating. Replace them with Sean Connery or Karen Allen and I think I'd have been a much bigger fan.

Like you I also enjoyed Deadpool and was rather surprised at how much I did so. While I'm a fan of the character in the comics I wasn't sure it would work for a full-length film and none of the trailers or TV ads really did anything for me. While some of the humour I found irritating for the most part it was good fun. Also had the huge bonus of Morena Baccarin.

Never heard of Caveman and while it sounds interesting in its own special way I certainly don't see myself ever watching it. Very nice write-up for Mr Holmes by the way. While certainly not to the extent that you did I also quite liked it when I watched and reviewed it a while back. Sorry to see that This Means War was such a terrible experience though!

EDIT - When I say I reviewed Mr Holmes I've not actually posted that review. Just got it sitting around my laptop. Thought I'd post that because I know lots of people would have been dashing off to try and read it.

OK, this is just rude --

your review thread, as well as Iroquois' review thread, and even Swan's review thread..... haven't been added/stickied to the top in the Member Reviews' Threads.....

But Omnizoa's has.

I'd be pissed.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	threads.JPG
Views:	1183
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	25700