Ari Aster's Beau Is Afraid

Tools    

I've only seen a couple of Aster's films so I can't say I really know his style, but this feels very Kaufman-esque. Looks interesting. I'd probably want to see it even if Phoenix wasn't in it because it seems so odd.

Not really a fan of Ari Aster but this seems different and fascinating enough that I look forward to it. I hope it lives up to the weirdly wonderful vibe of that trailer.

That looks...interesting. Seems well-casted. But Ari Aster tends to put stuff in his movies that I can not handle. It is the head smashing that I have a problem with.

Love Ari Aster films including the short films I have seen. This will be a definite watch.

Apparently this is going to be a very long movie(4 hours)...which frankly I'm kinda here for.
Hmm, that does make it more interesting. I really loved Hereditary, it absolutely lingered on, and at the time when I first saw it I remember wanting it to last as long as possible. Have seen it plenty of times since then and still find it pretty perfect. Didn’t like Midsommar that much.

I’m a bit apprehensive about this supposedly being a comedy, but will of course watch.

I’m a bit apprehensive about this supposedly being a comedy, but will of course watch.
Surely it will be a comedy in the vein of Peele's 'US' which is a horror but with some laugh out loud moments.

Surely it will be a comedy in the vein of Peele's 'US' which is a horror but with some laugh out loud moments.
Hope so! But have you ever seen US actually described as a comedy (that’s not meant as a counter-argument or anything, but I certainly haven’t)?

I think he should be able to come up with something quite original, though. For some reason, that poster is giving me major Dogtooth vibes.

I do love a truly dark joke in a horror film, but that’s so hard to land. I actively detest all so-called ‘horror comedies’ with the begrudging exception of Cabin in the Woods, and that only because I’m a sucker for all things meta.

Hope so! But have you ever seen US actually described as a comedy (that’s not meant as a counter-argument or anything, but I certainly haven’t)?

I think he should be able to come up with something quite original, though. For some reason, that poster is giving me major Dogtooth vibes.

I do love a truly dark joke in a horror film, but that’s so hard to land. I actively detest all so-called ‘horror comedies’ with the begrudging exception of Cabin in the Woods, and that only because I’m a sucker for all things meta.
Well the short was a horror comedy, so I'm going horror comedy. If it's not then I'm to blame.

Anyway, more coming out about the actual content of the film and it sounds like, uh, it might actually contain a lot of the hallmarks of his previous films after all? IE: horror and horrible violence and whatnot. Which is kinda crazy because at least one of the major trailer releases gives no indication of that at all, and in fact gives a lot of trailer "signals" (like with its music choices) to the opposite.

At least one person is going to see just that trailer, watch the film, and be pretty upset, I think, and they'll kinda have a reasonable case to be.

I hope the director comes back to horror for his next movie.

Beau Is Afraid (Ari Aster, 2023)

What the f*** did I just watch?

I don't mean to imply anything bad by asking that, I really don't, but I think this might have earned the title of the strangest movie I have ever watched. It was just one crazy-ass scene after another and I'm not entirely sure that I actually understood what the hell was happening in it. It was kind of a horror, kinda of a comedy, and kind of just an acid trip without the drugs. A three hour acid trip.

I'm going to go ahead and give it a positive rating because I was most definitely never bored in that three hours, but I'm probably going to need to watch it again before I can make any sense out of it or my feelings about it.