Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023)

Tools    

Not setting myself up for a letdown.

It surely will not be as I heartily desire, yet it can be fun.

Let's wait and see...

A system of cells interlinked
Was looking for something mindless to watch with my wife this weekend, and was hoping this would fit the bill while not being completely terrible. Imagine our surprise when not only was it not terrible, it was actually super entertaining, fun, and even had some heart. We both ended up liking it much more than expected, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun romp. Kudos for all the fun Easter eggs, including nods to the 80s D&D cartoon, the Portal series of video games, Dark Souls, and a variety of D&D callouts that are recognizable and fun. Badass magic battles, also. Would watch again!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Was looking for something mindless to watch with my wife this weekend, and was hoping this would fit the bill while not being completely terrible. Imagine our surprise when not only was it not terrible, it was actually super entertaining, fun, and even had some heart. We both ended up liking it much more than expected, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun romp. Kudos for all the fun Easter eggs, including nods to the 80s D&D cartoon, the Portal series of video games, Dark Souls, and a variety of D&D callouts that are recognizable and fun. Badass magic battles, also. Would watch again!

Totally agree. Me and a friend went to see this one at the theater opening weekend and we both laughed out loud a good handful of times. I really didn't know what to expect, but the movie was definitely a solid, silly, ride. We ended up getting the novelty popcorn oversized D&D die.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Welcome to the human race...
Definitely weird how much I didn't enjoy this. There are clever moments here and there but they're spread way too thin over such a lengthy runtime and I never really cared that much in the first place.

Definitely weird how much I didn't enjoy this. There are clever moments here and there but they're spread way too thin over such a lengthy runtime and I never really cared that much in the first place.
Yea, maybe a tad too long. Could have used with trimming perhaps 20 minutes or so.

I can see how people would not get into this one. Timing maybe? A lot of the jokes were dry and felt like there were deliberate beats in play as if to turn to the audience and ask, "get it? did you get that pun??" to then grin at the absurdity of having to prod the audience for a laugh and return to dialogue as if nothing happened. I personally like that style, so I caught myself whispering out to the screen, "oooooh, I see what you did there!"

=\

hm. speaking of poor dad jokes....
a guy throws a sheep over a cliff, followed by a large bass drum and finally tossed a confused snake after it all.

baaah, dump - shhhhh.

(that plays so much worse, delivering it live!)

I think expectations play a big role here, as well. I went into it thinking it would be totally cringeworthy, but was pleasantly surprised at how much fun I had. If it was hyped to me beforehand, might have been a bit let down, but still would have had some fun watching it, I think.