Movie Forums Top 100 War Movies - Group Watch

→ in
Tools    

The Shop on Main Street

It looks like it was made in the 50's, whatever because it looks just right. It reminded me of one of those neorealist Italian classics. Nice story, set in a town that appears so wholesome, but not everyone has the same humanity. Not a film that blew me a way like most of the best war films typically do, but a rewarding experience. Nice appropriate score.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Shop on Main Street

This was film that I hadn't heard of before. Interesting to see a perspective on the war I hadn't heard of before. In fact, the war itself comes into this very little, it's more about the effects of fascism on a small town and the morals/consciences of its inhabitants.

I liked the way the monument built up over the course of the film from something just talked about to something increasingly dominant over the town in the same way as the level of threat for the Jewish residents.

I liked too how the main character doesn't really want to involve himself in politics, the war or anything else but by the end it's not an option.

The Shop on Main Street (1965)

Cool choice. I haven't seen many Czechoslovakian films and never seen a film about the First Slovak Republic which was a satellite/puppet state of Nazi Germany during WWII. This Slovak/fascist state would become communist controlled Czechoslovakia and later in 1982 broken up into two independent countries: Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic...Knowing all this makes more sense of the scene where the men are marching down the street singing, 'We're going to fight, fight until we make Slovak for all Slovaks.'

After watching the movie on YouTube I noticed a 3 minute video from the 1966 Oscars with Gregory Peck giving the award for Best Foreign Picture to The Shop on Main Street. One of the directors accepted the award.

Personally I enjoyed the movie with it's unique look at some lesser known events of WWII. The old lady was very good and I swear I've seen her in some popular American movies but nope she didn't star in any and I can't figure out who she looks like?

Thanks John-Connor!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Some real masterpieces were nominated in this thread. Kudos to all of you, guys!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Some real masterpieces were nominated in this thread. Kudos to all of you, guys!
You should join this thread as well. I'd be curious what your nomination/s would be.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
You should join this thread as well. I'd be curious what your nomination/s would be.
I'm not interested in participating in any of such social activities. Mainly because I'm really bad at keeping up with watching what I'm asked to watch. I always watch movies on a whim and I abhor the idea I have a week to watch a given film. That being said, one of my favorite (anti-)war movies is Don't Burn (2009). I don't mind if one of you nominates it in my place.

I watched The Shop on Main Street today. I thought it was well made with fine performances. It won't make my ballot, but I appreciate that it was nominated and that I watched it.

just watched the shop on main street. really wonderful and brutal film. will probably make my list
criticker

That looks good, I'll be watching it. I just seen Richard Burton in another WWII film The Desert Rats (Robert Wise 1953). I didn't really warm up to Burton in that film so it will be good to see him in another similar war movie...and directed by one of the greats Nicholas Ray too.