The 2022 MoFo Film Awards

Tools    

Fascinated by how EEAAO managed to be nominated for Best and Worst Picture, that has to be a first.

Best/Worst/Mixed Bag/Disappointment/Overrated- five categories is pretty crazy

Fascinated by how EEAAO managed to be nominated for Best and Worst Picture, that has to be a first.
I think it really speaks to the degree people, consciously or otherwise, react in ways that aren't being formed in a vacuum, but are instead designed to "counterweight" what they see as overenthusiasm. In other words, instead of just rating a film like they want to rate it, they see what the overall rating is and then rate it whatever gets the average closer to where they would put it.

Jurassic Parkominion managing to avoid all the negative categories is a pretty big shock especially with Thor Love and Thunder making the worst of list.

Jurassic Parkominion managing to avoid all the negative categories is a pretty big shock especially with Thor Love and Thunder making the worst of list.

: + D =

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I do agree with this.

Best/Worst/Mixed Bag/Disappointment/Overrated- five categories is pretty crazy
I think it really speaks to the degree people, consciously or otherwise, react in ways that aren't being formed in a vacuum, but are instead designed to "counterweight" what they see as overenthusiasm. In other words, instead of just rating a film like they want to rate it, they see what the overall rating is and then rate it whatever gets the average closer to where they would put it.

To be fair, some of these categories have a kind of direct influence on each other.

Speaking for myself, I was massively disappointed with EEAAO long before Oscar season because my own expectations/hopes were so high from the moment I heard about it, and they were raised when the trailer released. I'm not a jealous person generally, but I am jealous of all the people who were able to love this movie.

That said, I do think calling it Worst Picture material is a bit silly, but I guess some people feel that way.

I've only seen one of the documentaries and two of the foreign language nominees, but I've seen most of the movies in every other category. Only seven of the ten best picture noms, though.

I submitted at least one of the eventual nominees in every category except cinematography. The most aligned my submissions were with any category was Most Overrated . I submitted four of those.

I wasted a ton of slots on Fantastic Beasts, which was genuinely my favorite movie of the year. Other than that, the movie I pushed most to no avail was The Wonder. I also had Thirteen Lives in a few of the major categories including Best Film.

The film I'm glad to see represented here that was ignored by the academy is The Menu. I haven't seen The Whale, but I submitted a nom for Hong Chau here alongside Fiennes and Hoult.

I'm a bit disappointed in Babylon's showing, although I think the forums biggest fan of that one, KeyserCorleone, didn't submit a list.

Also scratching my head at Tár placing for director, screenplay, and actress, but missing out on each of the ten Best Film slots.

A few of the titles I championed on my nominations ballot in various categories that didn't make the cut anywhere here were Vengeance, Emily the Criminal, The Pale Blue Eye, and See How They Run.

Oh, well.

I submitted See How They Run... in the Biggest Disappointment category...

The Pale Blue Eye may be eligible next year with it's wide release on Netflix in January.

I think I contributed a point to Everything Everywhere All At Once's buttplug nomination, even though I was specifically voting for the part of the scene in which nobody is using one.

The other thing that surprises me is To Leslie making best film with Riseborough left out of Best Actress.

I forgot the opening line.
Great job everyone! (Aside for one or two instances which had me having a fit.) I feel validated when my nominees make the cut, and strangely alone and isolated in my opinions when they don't. None of my Worst Picture nominees made it, but maybe that's because it's stacked with horror films, and a lesser proportion of people watch those. I've seen almost everything, and as such don't have too much homework to do if I intend seeing 100% of the nominees.

I think our list of nominations is much better than what the Oscars rolled out - what a great bunch of movie-watching people.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

The two films I wanted to squeeze in before the deadline were Everything Everywhere All at Once and The Banshees of Inisherin.

Also at work, I started watching All Quiet on the Western Front. Tried to squeeze in a few noms for that.

Pleased to see RRR make best film. Would have liked to see a nomination for Breakout or Best Actor/Director, but oh well.

You can thank/blame me for Janelle Monae making the cut for Best Supporting Actress. Tried to squeeze a nom for Funniest/Memorable Scene for the destruction of Miles's mansion but it didn't happen.

I tried to make Rescued by Ruby and 20th Century Girl happen. It didn't.

Pleasantly surprised by the lack of Navalny in Documentary. Less so for Puss in Boots missing out in Animation.

Not sure how much more damage I can do in a month, but I plan on getting through Everything and Banshees at bare minimum. Will make runs at some of the others (The Menu, Elvis, Top Gun: Maverick, The Fabelmans, Nope) as well. Hoping to find Aftersun and To Leslie before the deadline...

Also scratching my head at Tár placing for director, screenplay, and actress, but missing out on each of the ten Best Film slots.
It was tied for 11th place with Boiling Point, so it only just missed the cut.

None of my Worst Picture nominees made it, but maybe that's because it's stacked with horror films, and a lesser proportion of people watch those.
You're probably not alone in that, since votes were spread fairly thin for that category. 54 different films were nominated for Worst Picture.

I think I contributed a point to Everything Everywhere All At Once's buttplug nomination, even though I was specifically voting for the part of the scene in which nobody is using one.
Looking back at the spreadsheet, I actually didn't count that as the same thing when tallying the scores.

I submitted See How They Run... in the Biggest Disappointment category...
In a year that had the likes of Babylon and Amsterdam and Armageddon Time, all messy, embarrassing failures from established filmmakers, I found See How They Run to be a huge relief and full of laughs. But to each their own.

The Pale Blue Eye may be eligible next year with it's wide release on Netflix in January.
The Pale Blue Eye was released first theatrically in December to qualify for the Academy Awards. Thus it is eligible as a 2022 flick. But go ahead and vote for it next year.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

In a year that had the likes of Babylon and Amsterdam and Armageddon Time, all messy, embarrassing failures from established filmmakers, I found See How They Run to be a huge relief and full of laughs. But to each their own.

I quite enjoyed Babylon. Amsterdam was a bit of a letdown, but Russell has always been hit-and-miss for me. Didn't see Armageddon Time.

The Pale Blue Eye was released first theatrically in December to qualify for the Academy Awards. Thus it is eligible as a 2022 flick. But go ahead and vote for it next year.

I'm aware, but it seems eligibility "rules" are a bit different here.

It was tied for 11th place with Boiling Point, so it only just missed the cut.

How many points away were they?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Great job @CosmicRunaway

Initial thoughts: EEAAO spread out among best and worst categories...seems to happen to at least one film every year.

Happy to see some love thrown to Midthunder for Prey.

A lot of my noms made it and a lot didn't, so I feel overall that I am happy with what is here. I still need to watch a few before I officially submit a list.

Suspect's Reviews

The other thing that surprises me is To Leslie making best film with Riseborough left out of Best Actress.
She did make the cut at Best Breakthrough, however.