John Connor's Entertainment Log

→ in
Tools    

THE KILLING OF A CHINESE BOOKIE 1976 John Cassavetes

Aw man, this is one of my all-time favorites.

GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY 2022 Rian Johnson

2h 20m | Comedy | Crime | Drama | Mystery | Thriller
Writer: Rian Johnson
Cast: Daniel Craig, Edward Norton, Dave Bautista, Janelle Monáe, Kate Hudson, Kathryn Hahn, Madelyn Cline, Leslie Odom Jr., Jessica Henwick, Hugh Grant, Angela Lansbury, Ethan Hawke, Natasha Lyonne, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

"Piceshite"
Good looking and sounding, fun entertaining film. Less Mystery and more Comedy than its predecessor.

+

Mona Lisa

KNIVES OUT 2019 Rian Johnson

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT 2022 ‘Im Westen nichts Neues’ Edward Berger

2h 28m | War | Drama | Action
Writers: Lesley Paterson, Ian Stokell
Cast: Felix Kammerer Albrecht Schuch Aaron Hilmer Moritz Klaus Adrian Grünewald

Realistic, dark, dirty, cold, bleak, look at the final days of WWI.
No sugar coating or romanticizing here, makes 1917 look like a scouting field trip.
With excellent cinematography by James Friend. Added to my top 100 War films list @ #66.

-

THE FABELMANS 2022 Steven Spielberg

2h 31m | Drama
Writer: Steven Spielberg, Tony Kushner
Cast: Gabriel LaBelle, Michelle Williams, Paul Dano, Seth Rogen, Jeannie Berlin, Judd Hirsch, Julia Butters, Robin Bartlett, Sam Rechner

“Movies are dreams that you never forget.”

Spielberg's semi-autobiographical coming-of-age story that sheds light on family secrets, divorce and discrimination.
As well as the early stages of struggling with, discovering and exploring the power of the cinematic arts.

A good looking and well cast film. Julia Butters is going to be a huge kid star, (probably already is).
Sam Rechner has the potential to become the next Patrick Swayze.
Great scene with Judd Hirsch probably my favorite scene, and a very strong, surprising final scene to complete this beautiful film.

+

THE BATMAN 2022 Matt Reeves

2h 56m | Action | Crime | Drama | Mystery
Writer: Matt Reeves, Peter Craig, Bill Finger
Cast: Robert Pattinson, Zoë Kravitz, Paul Dano, Jeffrey Wright, John Turturro, Peter Sarsgaard, Andy Serkis, Colin Farrell

Dark, gritty Noir-ish Detective style Batman, I liked it. Excellent supporting performances by; Kravitz, Turturro and Farrell. Cinematically great looking 'Kiss' moment and smart use of the Nirvana track.

-

Something In The Way
im still contemplating watchingf this since my friend told me he watched it in cinema, and he says it painfully slow.

THE MENU 2022 Mark Mylod

1h 47m | Comedy | Thriller | Horror
Writer: Seth Reiss, Will Tracy
Cast: Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor-Joy, Nicholas Hoult, John Leguizamo, Aimee Carrero, Judith Light

The allegory of the film is clear and there's truth in it, but the execution could've been better. Performances by Taylor-Joy, Fiennes and Leguizamo made it entertaining enough though. And it was nice to see 'Angela' from Who's The Boss again.

THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN 2022 Martin McDonagh

1h 54m| Comedy | Drama
Writer: Martin McDonagh
Cast: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Kerry Condon, Barry Keoghan

Award worthy performance by Collin feckin' Farrell.

-

THE LAST KINGDOM 2015-2022

TV | Drama | History | Action
Cast: Alexander Dreymon, Eliza Butterworth, Arnas Fedaravicius, Mark Rowley, Emily Cox

"I Am Uhtred Son Of Uhtred"
"Destiny is All!"

Cheers @John McClane!

You ready? You look ready.
I loved that show, and I finally watched the last season over Christmas break. I would have given it a 5 if it hadn't been for that last season. I think 4 is fair and just.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

BLACK ADAM 2022 Jaume Collet-Serra

2h 5m | Action | Adventure | Fantasy
Writers: Adam Sztykiel, Rory Haines, Sohrab Noshirvani
Cast: Dwayne Johnson, Aldis Hodge, Pierce Brosnan

Huge missed opportunity, the story + budget had potential.
Visual effects and wardrobe looked good at times, the dialogue and casting was terrible.

BREAKDOWN 1997 Jonathan Mostow (re-watch)

1h 33m | Mystery | Crime | Drama
Writer: Jonathan Mostow, Sam Montgomery
Cast: Kurt Russell, J.T. Walsh, Kathleen Quinlan, M.C. Gainey, Jack Noseworthy

"Hah, Tow truck my @ss.."

+

AFTERSUN 2022 Charlotte Wells

1h 42m | Drama
Writer: Charlotte Wells
Cast: Paul MescalFrankie Corio

Discussion worthy filmmaking exposing the aftermath/consequences of a certain lifestyle/life choices in relation to mental health and upbringing.

Arthouse rating ★★★½

LONESOME DOVE 1989 Simon Wincer

Mini Series | Adventure | Drama | Western
Cast: Robert Duvall, Tommy Lee Jones, Diane Lane, Robert Urich, D.B. Sweeney, Danny Glover, Steve Buscemi, Anjelica Huston

The best Western mini series I've ever seen with my favorite and best performance ever by Tommy Lee Jones.

Trivia:
"Larry McMurtry's original novel was based upon a screenplay that he had co-written with Peter Bogdanovich for a movie that was intended to star John Wayne as Call, James Stewart as Gus, and Henry Fonda as Jake Spoon, but the project collapsed when John Ford advised Wayne to reject the script."
+

THE CINCINNATI KID 1965 Norman Jewison (Sam Peckinpah was fired after one week of shooting)

1h 42m | Drama
Writer: Richard Jessup
Cast: Steve McQueen, Edward G. Robinson, Ann-Margret, Karl Malden, Tuesday Weld, Rip Torn

+ (74/100)

CONSPIRACY 2001 Frank Pierson

1h 36m | Biography | Drama | History | War
Writer: Loring Mandel
Cast: Kenneth Branagh, Stanley Tucci, Colin Firth, Tom Hiddleston

Tagline:
"One Of The Greatest Crimes Against Humanity Was Perpetrated In Just Over An Hour."
Before I officially bow down, I'm gonna give some love to my picks that didn't make it...
5. Conspiracy

Added to my favorite 'one-location' movies list. Good recommendation Thief.

+

DECISION TO LEAVE 2022 ‘헤어질 결심’ Park Chan-wook

2h 19m | Crime | Drama | Mystery | Romance |Thriller
Writer: Park Chan-wook, Chung Seo-kyung
Cast: Park Hae-il, Tang Wei, Lee Jung-hyun, Park Yong-woo

Solid Korean Thriller, technically outstanding, with some noticeable Vertigo influences.

CONSPIRACY 2001 Frank Pierson

1h 36m | Biography | Drama | History | War
Writer: Loring Mandel
Cast: Kenneth Branagh, Stanley Tucci, Colin Firth, Tom Hiddleston

Added to my favorite 'one-location' movies list. Good recommendation Thief.

+
Another convert, yeeess!! Glad you liked it.

THE OUTFIT 2022 Graham Moore

1h 45m | Drama | Crime | Mystery
Writer: Graham Moore, Johnathan McClain
Cast: Mark Rylance, Zoey Deutch, Johnny Flynn, Dylan O'Brien

BABYLON 2022 Damien Chazelle

3h 9m | Comedy | Drama | History
Writer: Damien Chazelle
Cast: Brad Pitt, Margot Robbie, Diego Calva, Jean Smart, Flea, Jovan Adepo, Olivia Wilde, Eric Roberts

Didn't like most of the hair and makeup. The exaggeration of debauchery was slightly over the top for my taste. The final scene was very Cinema Paradiso. Everything else I truly enjoyed, especially the scene with Jean Smart and Brad Pitt and the music was fire.

+