Vicariously Feeling Like A Character While Watching A Movie?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
You know, when you're watching a movie, and when something bad happens to the main character, YOU feel it; almost as if it was happening to you. Sometimes you have to think, "This is not happening to me", but then you can get into movies where there's a scene or story that reminds you of what you're going through, or have gone through.

It doesn't have to be the protagonist, but it might be just as interesting if you can name a support actor who you're "in".

You know, when you're watching a movie, and when something bad happens to the main character, YOU feel it; almost as if it was happening to you. Sometimes you have to think, "This is not happening to me", but then you can get into movies where there's a scene or story that reminds you of what you're going through, or have gone through.

It doesn't have to be the protagonist, but it might be just as interesting if you can name a support actor who you're "in".
Not sure if this is what you’re looking for.

Totally related to Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore. She’s desperate for work & gets a blister on her foot from pounding the sidewalks. Bar owner takes pity on her, gives her a plaster for her foot & decides to hire her & give her a chance.

When I emigrated to NYC a million years ago I had a similar but better experience myself. Someone gave me a chance & gave me my first job.

Christine (2016). 75% in.
Yikes.

I was being relatively sarcastic, but definitely have felt similar surreal alienation at work in the past. Although “yikes” is, alas, largely accurate.

Although to be fair, unlike her, I always, always knew how to shut up. These days I’m wondering whether that’s a good thing or not.

I was being relatively sarcastic, but definitely have felt similar surreal alienation at work in the past. Although “yikes” is, alas, largely accurate.
Oh, okay. I was sad because I took you very literally there.

Oh, okay. I was sad because I took you very literally there.
No, no, not at all. Another lesson re: subtleties/irony being lost online.

There are better examples but I can’t think of any just now.

Christine (2016). 75% in.
I think we've all felt like a demonic 1957 Plymouth Fury... ...from time-to-time.

Then again, we've also felt like a 1970 Challenger speeding vainly only to vanish.

And who among us has not like a modified 1974 Ford Falcon XB GT wandering the apocalypse?

I think we've all felt like a demonic 1957 Plymouth Fury... ...from time-to-time.

Then again, we've also felt like a 1970 Challenger speeding vainly only to vanish.

And who among us has not like a modified 1974 Ford Falcon XB GT wandering the apocalypse?
At our best moments, I think we can all relate to Herbie the Love Bug.*

At our best moments, I think we can all relate to Herbie the Love Bug.*

I don't have my license, so I can only relate to Rosebud.

And by relating to Rosebud, I mean I too have nightmares about Orson Welles sitting on me.

I don't have my license, so I can only relate to Rosebud.

And by relating to Rosebud, I mean I too have nightmares about Orson Welles sitting on me.
"Nightmares"? Sure, crumb, we believe you.*

That’s exactly why I specified the year.

Yeah, I had to go back & check we were both talking about the same movie.

Yeah, I had to go back & check we were both talking about the same movie.
Seems to be a loose remake at best.*

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for.

Totally related to Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore. She’s desperate for work & gets a blister on her foot from pounding the sidewalks. Bar owner takes pity on her, gives her a plaster for her foot & decides to hire her & give her a chance.

When I emigrated to NYC a million years ago I had a similar but better experience myself. Someone gave me a chance & gave me my first job.

Yeah.

Because you sort of identified with her, did you feel any anxiety while watching her struggle, and maybe then suddenly realize you're just too caught up in the movie and can take a sigh of relief because you're not in that position anymore?

Bill Paxton does a good job of this in A Simple Plan. Every time Hank is at a point where he's forced to make a decision about whether he should do the right or wrong thing, he expresses his hesitancy in a way that really lets you get inside his head. It's a great performance all-around.

Because you sort of identified with her, did you feel any anxiety while watching her struggle, and maybe then suddenly realize you're just too caught up in the movie and can take a sigh of relief because you're not in that position anymore?
I did on both counts, but the scene still resonates with me because so many women are looking for work & struggling mightily because of the pandemic. It was pure luck that I got my first job in Manhattan. My boss had no particular reason to hire me, but, 4 days after landing in America, I was employed.

I did on both counts, but the scene still resonates with me because so many women are looking for work & struggling mightily because of the pandemic. It was pure luck that I got my first job in Manhattan. My boss had no particular reason to hire me, but, 4 days after landing in America, I was employed.

Nice story

I'm struggling as I type! I see the remaining years of my life like a virus