Modern movies vs the Classics

Tools    

Hello. I really wanted to watch older movies, I have but barely made an impact with me. I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien recently, and I was not that satisfied as how should I be. I mean it's genius. But no excitement from me. Maybe because of the modern films, who made their plot cliche-ish. I tried so hard to watch classics and act like its fresh to me, but still no. How can I watch them if thats the situation? Some tips?

Try Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon.

Also Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments.

These are top rated classics.

Take it from this girl, I will be greatly disappointed if you don't like these films.

Let me know.

Try Casablanca and The Maltese Falcon.

Also Gone With The Wind, Citizen Kane, Ben Hur and The Ten Commandments.

These are top rated classics.

Take it from this girl, I will be greatly disappointed if you don't like these films.

Let me know.
Ill try but I cant say Ben Hur, almost four hour. I cant do that.

Hello. I really wanted to watch older movies, I have but barely made an impact with me. I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien recently, and I was not that satisfied as how should I be. I mean it's genius. But no excitement from me. Maybe because of the modern films, who made their plot cliche-ish. I tried so hard to watch classics and act like its fresh to me, but still no. How can I watch them if thats the situation? Some tips?
I know you can't possibly see those old iconic films through the eyes of someone who watched them on release and was dazzled by their inventiveness, but there's plenty of people who post on here who are half my age (and more) who love good films of any era.
Maybe just relax into watching it, have a few beers and forget comparing what you're seeing with a new film. Instead try and appreciate the best things about the film - plot, acting, camerawork . Get lost in the film instead of remembering any spoofs you've ever seen over the years. Difficult with films like The Exorcist but just have a go, immerse yourself!

Hello. I really wanted to watch older movies, ... Maybe because of the modern films, who made their plot cliche-ish. I tried so hard to watch classics and act like its fresh to me, but still no. How can I watch them if that's the situation? Some tips?
I do understand what you're saying. You're so use to the style of new films that you have a hard time getting the style of older movies. The solution....saturation! Stop watching new movies for a while and start watching nothing but the classics. In a short time you will start perceiving the classics as feeling 'normal' to you when you watch them.

Gone With The Wind is four hours long.
Ouch, that was my priority.
BTW, without biased opinion, and be as honest as possible, is it worth watching? Epic is my least favorite genre since they usually has a long show time. But please, is it worth watching, because I will of it is.

Well I do have an extremely biased opinion, since GWTW is a top 20 movie for me but yes I'd say it is worth watching. I would suggest possibly watching some movies from the same time period first.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
BTW, without biased opinion, and be as honest as possible, is it worth watching? Epic is my least favorite genre since they usually has a long show time. But please, is it worth watching, because I will of it is.
I watched it today and I think it's good, but not a masterpiece many people make it to be, but no matter what I think about it, it is worth watching if you call yourself a cinephile. However, seeing you're just starting out, it may not be a good pick. <looks up his favourites list> or maybe it is. Who knows. You gotta put heart into it. If you don't like a classic, then move on to another one. There's no possibility none of them will make you fall in love with. If this is the case, well... stay with modern cinema. :P
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

If you want to try and get into the classics. First pick classic films with subjects that appeal to you. If you don't like sweeping epics, start with some classic action or crime films.

If it's your least favourite genre I don't think you should try and struggle through something that long. Tell us your favourite genre and we can recommend older classics you might like

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
For GWTW, there is an "intermission". So, if you ever get around to watching that, you know you definitely don't have to sit straight through it. Not that you'd have to, anyway.
I, personally, love GWTW. I first saw it when I was 12. I always knew about it and then I decided to watch it. I loved it.

But when I try to recommend "classics" (i.e. older films - especially the ones that are pre-1960), it is a little difficult for me to do. I have always had movies like this in my life. My family watched everything from the old classics to modern films. So, it is kind of hard to try to get someone "into" the classics when I have never not been into them. Know what I mean?

If you aren't a fan of epics, I would just avoid them in the beginning.

Anyway, when someone does ask what they should watch, I automatically ask what genre (modern, of course), that they like best. And then I go from there with suggestions of older films that are the same type of movies. What is your favorite genre?

There are some great epics; Lawrence of Arabia for one. They may not be a good starting point though; GWTW is an example of the Golden Age of Hollywood, which might be too different from your modern films.

I do see your point, that things become cliche so that when you watch the original, that feels like a cliche. However there are many different elements of a film to enjoy, even if one element of it may seem like a cliche to you. For example, Brief Encounter- two strangers who meet and fall in love. A pretty common film premise but there's much more to Brief Encounter and knowing the social background throws a completely different light on it. The conflict between social responsibility/duties at home and individual desires reflects the emphasis on social duty during wartime. Far from being a prudish affair, the dilemma of the film is whether these two people will consummate the relationship; the absence of sex is a question that doesn't go away. Or you might see it as the necessity/torment of fantasy in a mundane life.

Even old films can be looked at in a fresh way; the things that people remember films for and what somebody has told you a film is about does not have to be what you get out of the film. It's about finding your own path.

I would suggest watching some film noirs; they're probably the most 'modern' of classic film genres.

I have watched many earlier films. To kill a mockingbird, Wizard of Oz, Mary Poppins, the animations, One Flew Over Cockoo's Nest. OFOCN was my favorite classic so far.

I used to have a hard time getting into old movies too, at some point I'd directly say no if it was older than 1990's, the trick is finding just one old movie that you enjoy a lot, find one your style that has good rates, or check "Rate the last movie you saw" topic, there is A LOT of people who constantly give you amazing films, you just have to give one that calls you a try.

Also try to get in the movie, turn off the phone and whatever might distract you, try not to compare the film to anything or even try to guess what's next, simply get into it. Feel like you're the main character.

Funny enough the film that got me into wanting to see older movies was divorzio all'italiana, an italian drama-comedy film from 1961 that made me crack up so bad, after that I just wanted to see more and more older movies. It's just one that has to click for you to get into it

Good luck

Some people might totally disagree with me, but I would suggest reading about what makes a good movie. You could start with Louis Giannetti's book Understanding Movies. He talks about the different elements that go into a good movie and provides numerous illustrations from current movies to really old movies. He ends the book by showing how Citizen Kane is a great illustration of all the basic film elements. Some would say reading about movies is a chore and kills the pleasure. I believe just the opposite. I believe that it vastly increases your enjoyment.

It's just like watching new movies. Your going to sit through some duds but once you find directors and styles that appeal to your sensibilities you will run into less and less duds.