Why does it seem most actors/actresses have to have the need to smoke?

Tools    

I don't understand it. I know it is addicting and everything but there are so many young actors & actresses out there that are smoking. With all the reports of how unhealthy cigarette smoking is what would make this population want to start it up. Someone like Jack Nickolson I can sort of understand smoking because when he probably started there weren't as many warning, but now these young actors are doing it. It just don't make any sense to me.

It's like Penn & Teller say, "Remember, kids, don't ever smoke...unless you want to look really cool."
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yeah, I started smoking when I was 15 because everyone thought it was cool. Six years later, girls find it a huge turn-off but I can't stop...I'll quit tomorrow.

Anyway, often actors need to smoke for a role they're playing in a movie, so they pick up the habit to appear more natural on screen, and they stick with it. I think that's how Kristen Stewart started. She had to smoke for that Joan Jett movie The Runaways.

Employee of the Month
I don't understand it. I know it is addicting and everything but there are so many young actors & actresses out there that are smoking. With all the reports of how unhealthy cigarette smoking is what would make this population want to start it up. Someone like Jack Nickolson I can sort of understand smoking because when he probably started there weren't as many warning, but now these young actors are doing it. It just don't make any sense to me.
The reason why you don`t understand it, could be this: You are a Ellen Page fan. This is something like a political correct state of mind, no offense. You couldn`t understand it, if you want to - and I think you want to. Smoking tobacco is not good, but just by asking this question, you show clearly, that you are not able to understand it (What is so cool about smoking?). Sounds like an mantra, ain`t it?

I think they do it as it helps keep appetite down Metabolic rate up = thin at any cost

There is another reason you may be unaware of? It will decrease your appetite, therefor, you'll stay skinny! Fashion Models smoke for this particular reason and it's part of the fashion culture. What I've read though, L.A. is virtually a smoke free zone, so, I don't know if many young actresses will keep the habit.

Employee of the Month
They should do more sport, so they would be attractive instead of just thin. Hate what happened to Kate "Clearly" Bosworth. I wouldn`t care, if Paris Hilton or another model would die, but this is just not okay.

I do local modeling and may one day attempt to go national with it. I'd rather stay skinny by exercising and eating right than smoking and risk the dying from it.

I do local modeling and may one day attempt to go national with it. I'd rather stay skinny by exercising and eating right than smoking and risk the dying from it.

The problem lies with the fashion designers, who believe this heroin sheak looks different so therefore it must be fashionable. If they started to design clothes and employ models with healthy body types. Young girls wouldn't feel the need to starve themselves. It's sad really! And if you look at the designers, they're not what I would call healthy, but overweight...in the most part. It's quite the opposite from centuries ago where people who were larger, were thought to have "money". It was a status symbol to have a bit a meat on your bones. Why you may ask? Mainly because the rest of the population were starving.

The problem lies with the fashion designers, who believe this heroin sheak looks different so therefore it must be fashionable. If they started to design clothes and employ models with healthy body types. Young girls wouldn't feel the need to starve themselves. It's sad really! And if you look at the designers, they're not what I would call healthy, but overweight...in the most part. It's quite the opposite from centuries ago where people who were larger, were thought of have "money" it was a status symbol to have a bit a meat on your bones. Why you may ask? Mainly because the rest of the population were starving.
You are absolutely correct. A lot of these models I look up to myself and I see the pressure they all must be under to meet the need to stay thing. This is their work and the way they make a living. They also say actors/actresses have a lot of stress involved with their jobs feeling the need to smoke.

You are absolutely correct. A lot of these models I look up to myself and I see the pressure they all must be under to meet the need to stay thing. This is their work and the way they make a living. They also say actors/actresses have a lot of stress involved with their jobs feeling the need to smoke.
This is only a guess? But whats happened, an actress in her twenties most likely has other actress friends. So one of her actress friends tells her, "look, I started smoking at some parties and my hunger decreased and I lost about 10 pounds". So, the other friend thinks? Oh, I'm always being told that I should lose a few extra pounds for parts I screen for, maybe I should see how it goes, then when I lose the weight and get the part...I'll just quit! Why not! She thinks to herself. I've tried the Atkins diet, the juice cleansing diet, the lemon detox diet, but nothing seems to work. At least I'm not like those wafer thin models who sniff coke and smoke 50 cigarettes a day.

I think they do it as it helps keep appetite down Metabolic rate up = thin at any cost
Let's face it, smoking is the least of the bad habits they take up to stay thin.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
If you want to see cool movie that has actors smoking in it check out Message From Sector Six. It all takes place in a space station.

The scene that pops out in my mind is Brad Pitt & Catherine Zeta-Jones.

They've just finished ravishing each other's bodies for the first time. They lie naked, suspended in air underneath the heavens. Pitt lights up.
He starts blowing smoke rings all around Catherine's naked, flawless body, as the galaxies go whizzing by over the glass-domed ceiling.

Now, tell me that doesn't work for you.

Suspect's Reviews

If you want to see cool movie that has actors smoking in it check out Message From Sector Six. It all takes place in a space station.

The scene that pops out in my mind is Brad Pitt & Catherine Zeta-Jones.

They've just finished ravishing each other's bodies for the first time. They lie naked, suspended in air underneath the heavens. Pitt lights up.
He starts blowing smoke rings all around Catherine's naked, flawless body, as the galaxies go whizzing by over the glass-domed ceiling.

Now, tell me that doesn't work for you.
Did you dream this movie? Cuz I can't find it anywhere online... would be a pretty awesome dream though.

NICK NAYLOR
If I may. In 1910, the U.S. was producing ten billion
cigarettes a year. By 1930, we were up to one hundred
and twenty-three billion. What happened in between?
Three things. A world war, dieting... and movies.

B.R.
Movies?

NICK NAYLOR
1927: talking pictures are born. Suddenly, directors
need to give their actors something to do while they're
talking. Cary Grant, Carole Lombard are lighting up.
Bette Davis; a chimney. And Bogart! Remember the
first picture with him and Lauren Bacall?

B.R.
Well, yeah... not specifically.

NICK NAYLOR
Oh, she sort of shimmies in through the doorway,
nineteen years old. Pure sex. She says, "Anyone got
a match?" And Bogie throws the matches at her...
and she catches them. Greatest romance of the century.
How'd it start? Lighting a cigarette. These days when
someone smokes in the movies, they're either a psycho-
path or a European. The message Hollywood needs to
send out is smoking is cool. We need the cast of "Will &
Grace" smoking in their living room. Forrest Gump puffing
away between his box of chocolates. Hugh Grant earning
back the love of Julia Roberts by buying her favorite brand,
her Virginia Slims. Most of the actors smoke already. If
they start doing it on-screen, we can put the sex back
into cigarettes.

NICK NAYLOR
Now, what we need is a smoking role model, a real winner.

JEFF MEGALL
Indiana Jones meets Jerry Maguire.

NICK NAYLOR
Right, on two packs a day.

JEFF MEGALL
Only he can't live in contemporary society.

NICK NAYLOR
Why not?

JEFF MEGALL
The health issue's way too prevalent. People would
constantly be asking the character why he's smoking,
and that should go unsaid. How do you feel about
the future?