TheDOMINATOR's Top 100 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Really enjoying your list Dom, these things should be personal and I can tell you have some real attachments to these flicks. Good for you and thanks for sharing with us.

In the Beginning...
Nudity certainly can help a bad movie seem a little better though, but a lack of nudity can't make a good movie worse.
I've never really thought nudity was connected to the quality of a film, but here lately, I've been put off by nudity... particularly in films that only include nudity to fill a quota (and I definitely think too much nudity becomes an insufferable eyesore).

I rather like it more when a film shows restraint in that department, even when it's warranted. Sex, Lies, and Videotape, for example, is a dirty-mouthed picture, but it refrains from using explicit nudity of any kind, which actually increases the tension in the film.

Thank you very much for the continued compliments, everyone. I'm very glad to hear it, Powdered Water, especially coming from you.

-----------------------

55. Deliverance
(John Boorman, 1972)

With my initial viewing of Deliverance I found myself somewhat let-down, but upon revisiting it (and after having an enlightening conversation with mark f), my likingness and appreciation for the film skyrocketed. When it comes to suspense and delving into the minds of its characters, Deliverance is a masterpiece.

54. American Pie 2
(James B. Rogers, 2001)

A spectacularly funny follow-up to the original American Pie with the return of a good part of the original cast, including the cooler-than-cool Stifler. Just as in the first American Pie, a plethora of outrageous comedy is present here with the film's main characters finding themselves in laugh-out-loud hilarious situations and predicaments. I love it.

53. A Nightmare on Elm Street
(Wes Craven, 1984)

My favorite of the series and the only Nightmare present in my Top 100. The film which introduces a true horror legend: Freddy Kruger.

52. Man on Fire
(Tony Scott, 2004)

A breathtaking feature in which a man seeks vengeance and personal redemption through relentlessly killing the captors of a young girl with whom he had a very close relationship. This, to me, is a very powerful movie with a strong ending that sends waves of goosebumps up and down my arms each and every time I watch it.

51. American Pie
(Paul Weitz, 1999)

The original slice of pie. This is one of my all-time favorite comedies containing one of my all-time favorite comedic characters: Steve Stifler.

NEXT UP: The Top 50.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

The Top 50

50. Friday the 13th
(Sean S. Cunningham, 1980)

Like A Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th introduces to the world a true horror legend: Jason Voorhees. I hold Jason in higher regard than Freddy (plus the film itself), thus Friday appears higher on my list, just cracking the Top 50. It's not perfect, but it opens the doorway for an extremely fun series that I greatly enjoy watching.

49. Austin Powers and the Spy Who Shagged Me
(Ray Roach, 1999)

Yeah, baby, YEAH! I'm not sure if I can possibly justify Austin Powers (or at least its two sequels) actually appearing in a Top 50 Favorite Films of All-Time list, but for me, they're all three here. I love comedies with this kind of humor, and Austin Powers does it perfectly. Mike Myers is truly a comedic genuis; Dr. Evil and the man himself--Mr. Powers--are two of my top five favorite comedic characters in any film, of all time. The entire trilogy is full of awesome characters and hilarious, memorable quotes galore.

48. Austin Powers in: Goldmember
(Jay Roach, 2002)

I understand that this isn't holded in high regard at all, but I may even like it more than The Spy Who Shagged Me. Goldmember (played by Mike Myers, surprise) is an excellent addition to the outrageous cast of characters, and I actually thought Beyonce did a pretty nice job.

47. The Howling
(Joe Dante, 1981)

An incredible story with perhaps the most ridiculously cool (and genuinely scary)-looking werewolf of any film (eh, please don't make me pick favorites here--oh, wait...d'oh). If only any of its nine-million sequels were one one-thousandth as good as it I'd actually call it a series. As-is, I block those horrendous peices of garbage out of my mind and consider The Howling a stand-alone film.

46. City of God
(Fernando Meirelles, 2002)

I don't know where to begin. Everything here is near-perfection. I thought I knew ruthless and evil--until I was introduced to Lil Ze. It totally shocks me that this is based on a true story. Incredible.

[Will Be Continued...]

I've known many Brazilians in my day and they assure me that City of God is very realistic. If you're ever in the mood for a great documentary that deals with some of the subject matter of that film, check out Bus 174.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

City of God is in my top 5, glad you like it a lot as well. Also, Austin Powers rocks.

45. Storm of the Century
(Craig R. Baxley, 1999)

It's technically a mini-series, I guess, rather than a traditional movie, but I made an exception and put Storm of the Century on my Favorite Films list. Although it was never in the theater and was made for TV, I think this is one of the very best Stephen King adaptions; a truly sinister villain was made in Andre Linoge, and the four and a half hours of this mini-series is the fastest four and a half hours I'll ever experience.

44. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
(Richard Lester, 1966)

Although admittedly I haven't seen many in my lifetime, A Funny Thing is my favorite musical of all time. It has a fantastically interesting, wacky plot with characters just as interesting and wacky. Zero Mostel is outrageously funny, and the songs here are some of the most memorable songs in any movie I've ever had the pleasure of listening to and seeing performed on screen. I absolutely love everything about this film. I need to see the actual musical on Broadway one day.

43. Predator
(John McTiernan, 1987)

Super-Cool Alien Creature + Super-Cool Action Star (Arnold) + Minigun = 43.

And that's how I calculated Predator's spot on my list.

42. Office Space
(Mike Judge, 1999)

If I had a million dollars, I would do absolutely nothing also. Agreed, Peter. To quote an infamous hotel heiress: "Loves it!"

41. Noel
(Chazz Palminteri, 2004)

With the exception of It's a Wonderful Life, Noel is my favorite Christmas film (and story) of all time. A dazzling cast (Penelope Cruz, Robin Williams, Susan Sarandon, Alan Arkin, Paul Walker, among other big names) with a story following the seperate, individual stories of several different groups of people (much like Scorched seen earlier in my list) who are all interconnected in some way. For this type of film, it doesn't really get much better than this.

[Will Be Continued...]

40. Best of the Best
(Robert Radler, 1989)

I don't hold many martial arts films of this kind in very high regard, but Best of the Best captivated me from the word "go." It has one of the most emotionally impactful endings of any movie I've ever seen (yep, I cried), and, well... the movie's title pretty much says it all.

39. Christine
(John Carpenter, 1983)

I don't know what it is about Christine, but whatever it is, it's got plenty of it. This is a fantastic, thrilling horror with a premise that I find insanely awesome: a young guy falls in love with the car, and said car happens to be...alive. In the near future, I'll soon get my very own first-ever car, so boy oh boy, wouldn't I like my car to be alive! Only, without the killing people.

38. From Dusk Till Dawn
(Robert Rodriguez, 1996)

My favorite vampire movie ever. I love the action, I love the comedy, and I love the insanely awesome-looking vampires. And I love Salma Hayek, and George Clooney in a non-gay way.

37. The Terminator
(James Cameron, 1984)

More a surreal horror than a science fiction to me, The Terminator is one of the biggest surprises for me in my personal history of watching films. I don't have an explanation for it, but for the longest time, for some odd reason I was very hesitant to watch it; something about it seemed--I don't know--"off" to me looking at it on the shelf in the store (and I had already been a big Arnold fan at that time). Then, about two years ago when I finally did see it, I was blown away. What an incredible movie-watching experience. Everything here is mind-blowingly fantastic, from Arnold's incredible performance as the relentless killing machine known as the Terminator, to the complex story and timeline of the film, to the gut-wrenching action.

36. The Relic
(Peter Hyams, 1997)

The Relic holds a very special place for me because, from about age 12 to around age 15, it was my number one favorite movie. When I viewed it again when I was 16 or 17 after not having seen it for some time, sure it went down a few notches, but still today this fact remains: the creature in The Relic is hands-down my favorite creature in any movie I've ever seen. A creature--part man, part reptile, part insect, part arachnid--that has huge tusk-like fangs, incredible strength and agility, and can walk on walls which continually (but slightly) changes in appearance throughout the course of the film--you don't get better than that, my friends. The person who designed this creature is (or was) a genius.

[Will Be Continued...]

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Relic, I taped that off of the tv one night.

Suspect's Reviews

Thanks, guys. Won't be long now till the Top 10 are unveiled.

The Relic, I taped that off of the tv one night.
Did ya like it? Or, if you didn't like the movie overall, did you at least think the creature was ridiculously awesome like I do?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Your list is A+ mate fairplay Dusk till dawn, The Terminator, Predator, Friday 13th, Nightmare on elm street are all great films