TheDOMINATOR's Movie Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

The only good thing about that flick was the ending. I give the flick a
because of it. Up until that point I was pretty bored. And I actually saw it in the theater, Ha! Sucker on me!

I can't explain it it just looked silly to me I will add it to my Bigpond movie list and then at least i can have an opinion about it
Ah. Well, I don't think The Blair Witch Project is silly (obviously ). It's good to see that you're giving it a shot.

Just to make sure, you do know that the movie ended up being untrue, that the kids who made the film admitted it was fake. They even made a fake documentary on the film called Curse of the Blair Witch.
But still the movie was good and scary, regardless of if it was true or fake. Still, I would give it a
because it is scary as Hell.
Yes, I know that the entire Blair Witch story is fiction, and I did see the "fake documentary" Curse of the Blair Witch along with the Blair Witch Timeline, both special features on the special edition DVD. Very interesting stuff even though it's all fiction.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm not quite as cynical as mark, I thought it was an interesting way to present a film with the whole fake documentary angle. It's done all the time with books claiming to be the 'lost diaries' of someone or other, as long as everyone knows its fiction, why not? I don't know anyone who ever thought it was real, and if they did they probably deserved to be conned. I didn't think it was actually a very good film, though. As Powdered Water said, there's nothing really good about it except the ending. I wasn't completely convinced by the acting and the camerawork made me feel nauseous. And all that whining and bickering about the map was tedious.

I'm starting to think that in some ways horror is as subjective a genre as comedy - you were either scared, or you weren't, and that can come down to individual tastes in the same way that something that makes you laugh could leave another person cold.

I'm starting to think that in some ways horror is as subjective a genre as comedy - you were either scared, or you weren't, and that can come down to individual tastes in the same way that something that makes you laugh could leave another person cold.
I completely agree, and I'm not jumping on some kind of bash wagon either. I love, LOVE horror movies. Especially bad horror movies (or good depending on your mileage) so I'm not playing pile on here. Its a boring mockumentary much less a movie.

Its a boring mockumentary much less a movie.
What was/is Blair Witch "mocking" or attempting to mock? Maybe I wasn't watching it deeply enough to catch those hidden messages when I bought the DVD a few weeks ago, but I don't think I *could* see something like that if I tried; I personally find the story and lore of the film and the Blair Witch character so enthralling that I'd get lost in the movie. I know a few of you guys wouldn't agree here, but those are my thoughts nonetheless.

The story is what drives this film (and its powerful, rattling ending), and it captivates me to the point where I don't see any "mockumentary" elements, if they are any at all.

A mockumentary is a film presented as a documentary that is actually fiction. It's 'mocking' documentaries.

A mockumentary is a film presented as a documentary that is actually fiction. It's 'mocking' documentaries.
The term sounded so negative, I thought there was more to it than that. If that's what you wanna label it, then okay. :/

I'm fine with the term. The Office is one of my favorite shows and it's a mockumentary.

Oh, and nice reviews!

Hopefully my future reviews won't accumulate so many negative replies toward the movie(s) I critique in them. I appreciate everyone's contribution to my thread, though.

And thanks, Swan.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Blair Witch Project IMO is a bad film, I didnt like it when it first came out and ive seen it since and I still dont like it. I think it was very overated and what people are saying about it being scary, it so isnt. Seeing some woman running through the woods with snot running down her face saying "Oh im so scared running away from this imaginary witch!"

Dom it was a nice review as all your reviews are top quality mate! I enjoy reading your reviews!

Dom it was a nice review as all your reviews are top quality mate! I enjoy reading your reviews!
Thank you, N3wt. You didn't like The Blair Witch Project at all either, eh? Besides Gunn, I'm virtually the only one here who (openly) likes it so much; I don't mind being alone in that.

And I'm going to try and make good on my promise and deliver another review or two of films on my Top 10 list this weekend; I want to try and write extensive reviews for each of them over time. Since I've seen it just recently, next up may be Groundhog Day.

Okay, continuing on with reviews of the films in my Top 10 (so don't be surprised at yet *another* perfect rating ). I felt rushed when writing this next one, so please tell me if it's too wordy or seems garbled or unclear. It was about 3:00 AM when I wrote it.

Groundhog Day (1993) - 10/10

In Punxsutawney Pennsylvania, every day is February 2nd—Groundhog Day—for Phil Connors, an egotistical meteorologist who has a lot to learn about life, love, and himself. Bill Murray plays this loathsome but yet wittingly funny weatherman, delivering the best performance of his very impressive career. Andie MacDowell plays Rita, the new producer in town who, with Larry the cameraman, travels to Punxsutawney with Phil to capture the Groundhog Day event there on film as part of their news report. For Rita and Larry, it’s just going to be one day in a jovial, festive town, but for Phil Connors, it’s going to be an eternity of Groundhog Day.

The concept of the film is innovative and something we haven’t often seen before. One man finds himself caught in a continuous time loop that begins and ends every day at 6:00 AM, and no one else is affected. Every person the main character, Phil Connors, encounters reenacts each day just as they had the previous, only taking different actions when Phil interacts with them in a different way than he had the day before. I find this aspect of the movie greatly intriguing and, along with Murray's spectacular, hilarious performance, is what sets it apart from everything remotely similar to it.

Rita is Connors’ love interest who, part-way into the film, he tries to win over on a daily basis by slowly learning everything about her. She rejects him hundreds—or even thousands—of times, but ultimately Phil wins her over just as the mysterious time loop dissipates and February 3rd finally occurs. Perhaps the most intriguing thing about Groundhog Day is that we never learn the time loop’s origin or why it happened or how. It simply happened, without any explanation, rhyme, or reason, and it is up to us to theorize and come up with an answer. And, just as mysteriously as it began, it ended, just as Phil finally learned to love someone other than himself. Rita was Phil’s salvation, and this could imply that the time loop was an act of God rather than a freak accident or occurrence in space and time. I personally, however, tend to agree with the latter as it makes more sense with the feel and atmosphere of the film.

The acting is solid throughout, Bill Murray delivering a brilliant comedic performance as Phil Connors, and the chemistry between Murray and Andie MacDowell is wonderful. Chris Elliot, Brian Doyle-Murray, and Marita Geraghty make up the rest of the notable cast, director Harold Ramis even making a clever cameo appearance in the film himself. The script is among the greatest and funniest of any comedy I’ve ever seen and the cinematography, editing, and lighting are all superb. Groundhog Day will likely remain a personal favorite forever.

This review is very detailed and very accurate!This review is very detailed and very accurate!This review is very detailed and very accurate! Just a little Groundhogs Day Humor. The Dominator has nailed this one to a T!

"Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!"

This review is very detailed and very accurate!This review is very detailed and very accurate!This review is very detailed and very accurate! Just a little Groundhogs Day Humor. The Dominator has nailed this one to a T!

"Phil? Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!"
Thank you, sir. I mention my most recent review here not getting any replies and all of the sudden I get +3 reputation and a new post in my thread. I appreciate it, and I'm glad you found my review of Groundhog Day accurate of your own thoughts and of the descriptions I've provided. I was worried that this has been one of my weakest reviews yet; perhaps that's why it hasn't gotten many responses. :/

I'll be posting more reviews in the near future. Thank you, everyone, for your appreciation, support, and interest.

I have a soft spot for Groundhog Day thanks Domdot