Best Picture Oscars

Tools    

I have noticed that there has only been two times that there has been a tie for the best picture and those two years were in 1928 and 1942. The films from 1928 were Sunrise & Wings and in 1942 they were Mrs. Miniver and Casablanca. My question is does anyone think this will occur again or is there now a more complex voting system in place that will choose an outright winner each year?

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
I have noticed that there has only been two times that there has been a tie for the best picture and those two years were in 1928 and 1942. The films from 1928 were Sunrise & Wings and in 1942 they were Mrs. Miniver and Casablanca. My question is does anyone think this will occur again or is there now a more complex voting system in place that will choose an outright winner each year?
I believe those are misprints. Wings won, Mrs. Miniver and Casablanca are different years.

I believe those are misprints. Wings won, Mrs. Miniver and Casablanca are different years.
Oh, I just got it off the list for best picture on this site.

D'oh. Thanks for catching that; I think the source I was parsing from must've been off, then. I'll fix that.
Wait according to IMDB and they also may be wrong both Mrs. Miniver and Casablanca were released in 1942. Also Wings was from 1927 and Sunrise was from 1926.

A tie would have been goofy as hell.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
First off, there were two different categories for Best Picture at the first Oscars. It's very easy to see this if you look here. These awards were not for a calendar year but for parts of 1927 and 1928. The Oscars didn't actually switch to a calendar year time frame until 1934.

Casablanca was always considered a 1943 release when I was growing up because it wasn't released in Los Angeles until 1943, and that's why it was nominated for films released in 1943. It's true it was rushed into one theatre in NYC on Thanksgiving 1942 because the Allies had just landed in Casablanca three weeks earlier.

First off, there were two different categories for Best Picture at the first Oscars. It's very easy to see this if you look here. These awards were not for a calendar year but for parts of 1927 and 1928. The Oscars didn't actually switch to a calendar year time frame until 1934.

Casablanca was always considered a 1943 release when I was growing up because it wasn't released in Los Angeles until 1943, and that's why it was nominated for films released in 1943. It's true it was rushed into one theatre in NYC on Thanksgiving 1942 because the Allies had just landed in Casablanca three weeks earlier.
Thanks for the information. Your link however does not work.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Link repaired. It was only the first Oscars which had the Best Unique and Artistic Production category. That is why Wings is often cited as the true winner because its category continued on. However, as you can see, all the nominees in the two different categories were only up for one of them. So that's why it's true to say that there were two different winners but there was no tie.

Unique and Artistic Production eh? Since Sunrise is generally considered to be the superior film historically, I'd say this separate category isn't so useless.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yes, all things considered I think Sunrise was a nice film. I haven't seen much from the 20's but I'd be surprised if a lot of movies could top that one from the 20's.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Now try and decipher The Cannes Film Festival for 1946.

From IMDb Cannes Film Festival Awards for 1946

From Festival De Cannes Awards 1946

Titanic was awesome choice....

i also agree titanic but i like unfaithfull movie