The Three Stooges

Tools    

I was introduced to the slapstick genius of The Stooges when I was little by my Grandfather and Dad. What do others think of The Stooges?

Semper Fooey
I love the Three Stooges, even Shemp and the much maligned Joe Besser, but not Joe de Rita who was only funny in the Maha routine from The Three Stooges Meets Hercules.

But I also like all of the better known slapstick comedy teams from the thirties and forties.

I love the Three Stooges, even Shemp and the much maligned Joe Besser, but not Joe de Rita who was only funny in the Maha routine from The Three Stooges Meets Hercules.

But I also like all of the better known slapstick comedy teams from the thirties and forties.
Was Joe Besser the one who didn't really want to be in the Stooges or was that Joe de Rita?

Semper Fooey
It was Joe Besser who was hilarious as Stinky, the mean little kid on the Abbott and Costello TV show.

It was Joe Besser who was hilarious as Stinky, the mean little kid on the Abbott and Costello TV show.
I have to see some of the old Abbott & Costello stuff. My great grandpa & granddad talked about them and Laurel & Hardy to.

My parents, grandparents, cousins, brothers, and uncles/aunts ALL love the Three Stooges but I just never got into them. They're comedy is great and they're talented, but straight slapstick gets old to me without some clever story or set-up to tie it all together.

@will.15: I normally agree with you on all things cinema, but I have to put my foot down here. Shemp and Joe Besser ruined the Stooges.

My parents, grandparents, cousins, brothers, and uncles/aunts ALL love the Three Stooges but I just never got into them. They're comedy is great and they're talented, but straight slapstick gets old to me without some clever story or set-up to tie it all together.

@will.15: I normally agree with you on all things cinema, but I have to put my foot down here. Shemp and Joe Besser ruined the Stooges.
I really think it was really hard to fill Curly's shoes.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Shemp was an original Stooge. Curly replaced Shemp. Later on when Curly got sick, Shemp returned. The earliest Stooge shorts are the funniest to me.

I'd almost rather watch Braveheart.
Mean Mark says, "Please do!"

Semper Fooey
In the early days they had to work work with the very unfunny Ted Healy who received top billing. I think Shemp particularly hated him which is why he quit the act. They were much better off without that drunk Healy who died in the mid thirties in a drunken brawl or something. There is a rumor Wallace Beery killed him and MGM covered it up. MGM, never the best judge of comic talent, kept Healy and let the Stooges go.

I saw the Three Stooges on Scooby Doo and i thought they were very funny but they were kind of similar to the Boo Brothers and Laurel And Hardy.

Semper Fooey
Unlike the Stooges, Abbott and Costello were high brow and sophisticated. Or maybe I'm hallucinating.

&feature=related

They were just too funny. Has anyone seen the mad for T.V. movie about the Stooges made back in the year 2000? It had Michael Chiklis as Curly.

I saw that. It was pretty good.
Yes it was. I think my dad has it taped. The part I remember is after Curly had his stroke they brought him back and he sat in a chair and acted like he was sleeping and he did his little barking sounds and Woo Woo Woo Woo sounds.

The Three Stooges are hilarious. Their shorts are comedy classics. A shame they didn't get to do features when they were in their prime. The films with DeRita were ok, but features with Curly would've been so much better. Starring roles, not the supporting bits they did in a few films.

I really liked the TV biopic as well. I recorded it and have watched it several times. Chiklis was excellent as Curly.