A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Started brainstorming an October watchlist. Tried to stick to existing blind buys sitting on my shelf, things that have a North American blu ray (couldn't find the Sammo flick you suggested, Ash ), or were on YouTube or Tubi. Very good chance I won't get to some of these and will end up watching other things instead, but figured I'd try to actually plan it this year. (And yes, the last two are extremely on brand. Judge not that ye not be judged.) Also been chewing over getting that Severin folk horror set, will see if financial prudence wins in the end.

The Deadly Spawn
The Strangeness
Baby Blood
Axe aka Lisa Lisa
Spookies
The Stuff
The Survivor
Suddenly in the Dark
Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death
We're Going to Eat You
The Queen of Black Magic
The Night Evelyn Came Home From the Grave
Alice Sweet Alice
The Changeling
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
I Drink Your Blood
The Imp
Driller
Dracula Sucks

Suggesting are welcome!
Now that's an interesting list.
I have only seen 5 of them!
I look forward to your opinion of Let's Scare Jessica To Death.

Have you seen The Child (1977)? It's one of my B-film faves, and to my surprise Tubi now has a nice quality copy.
Thanks!

*adds to watchlist*

Yes, The Child is a good one.

And The Stuff is not that bad. Not my favorite Cohen by a longshot though.
There are probably other Cohens that should take priority, but I've had a copy sitting around unwatched for a few years now.

The Deadly Spawn
The Strangeness
Baby Blood
Axe aka Lisa Lisa
Spookies
The Stuff
The Survivor
Suddenly in the Dark
Woman Chasing the Butterfly of Death
We're Going to Eat You
The Queen of Black Magic
The Night Evelyn Came Home From the Grave
Alice Sweet Alice
The Changeling
I Drink Your Blood
The Imp
Driller
Dracula Sucks

Suggesting are welcome!

I've seen the bolded. I've seen We're Going to Eat You both in a theater (and it killed) and tried it once as a pandemic virtual group watch and it failed. The latter I attribute partially to the quality of the subtitles. So I hope you have good subtitles.

Don't watch the trailer for The Changeling, it really ruins the movie.

For suggestions, this year I'm planning to finally watch my copies of The Intruder and Foes. Though the Garagehouse blu-ray on brand for you would probably be The Satanist. Admittedly, idk how well the wooden delivery will play of watched by yourself instead of as a group watch.

Some movies I have on my shelf that I eventually plan to watch with friends some year that look interesting are Dust Devil and Hell's Grounds.

I noticed the A Chinese Ghost Story trilogy appears to be on Amazon Prime. A series I've known the titles of for decades, but have never watched, so I'll probably correct that (assuming they are in fact available).

I've seen the bolded. I've seen We're Going to Eat You both in a theater (and it killed) and tried it once as a pandemic virtual group watch and it failed. The latter I attribute partially to the quality of the subtitles. So I hope you have good subtitles.

Don't watch the trailer for The Changeling, it really ruins the movie.

For suggestions, this year I'm planning to finally watch my copies of The Intruder and Foes. Though the Garagehouse blu-ray on brand for you would probably be The Satanist. Admittedly, idk how well the wooden delivery will play of watched by yourself instead of as a group watch.

Some movies I have on my shelf that I eventually plan to watch with friends some year that look interesting are Dust Devil and Hell's Grounds.

I noticed the A Chinese Ghost Story trilogy appears to be on Amazon Prime. A series I've known the titles of for decades, but have never watched, so I'll probably correct that (assuming they are in fact available).
The Satanist does look (shamefully, shamefully) on brand, but my Letterboxd circle is not kind.*Eh... *adds to watchlist*

I'll have to see if A Chinese Ghost Story is on Canadian Prime, which is better than Canadian Netflix but I understand still pales compared to the US equivalent.*

The Stuff is fun as hell, though it is pretty heavy handed with the message. But who watches a movie called The Stuff for the message?

I'll have to see if A Chinese Ghost Story is on Canadian Prime, which is better than Canadian Netflix but I understand still pales compared to the US equivalent.*
Prime is better, but oh my god does it want you to buy all the extra channels. Soon enough every interesting movie you haven't seen is for rent or for purchase.

The Strangeness
Alice Sweet Alice
The Changeling
Out of the list, I've (recently enough) seen those four. The Strangeness is, if not a hidden gem, at least a hidden OK movie. It has really old-school stop motion stuff, too. Alice Sweet Alice is a good Giallo-wannabe/slasher from the US. The Changeling is a good (maybe even very good) ghost story (and I'm pretty sure I agree with the person who instructed to avoid the trailer). Let's Scare Jessica to Death is also quite good (and people still think I hate everything).

I've also seen The Stuff, but that was 30+ years ago, so no comments (my brother rewatched it a while back, though, and said it was OK). I also have Lisa, Lisa waiting to be watched (supposed to be a bit sleazy, so maybe up to my alley). I also may have seen The Deadly Spawn back in the day, but I'm not sure (I have a copy stashed somewhere, though).

Maybe next year, I'll get around on God Told Me To. Saw a snippet of it for a bit and I think I liked it, but it was midway through the film.

Alice Sweet Alice
The Changeling
I'm a fan of these.

I tried to watch The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave but I was seriously bored by it and didn't make it past about 30 or so minutes.

If only James Wan was clever enough to use a blender. Usually he just wraps all of his influences up in shrink wrap until they run out of oxygen and die.

That said, while I definitely hate Saw and Insidious, I don't hate Conjuring. It's passably watchable. It just attract my ire because of how much it seems to impress the horror community, and it makes me feel that maybe possessing some kind of observable soul isn't essential for so many fans of the genre.
I realize I'm like a week late on the Malignant thoughts but watched it with some friends tonight and I found it to good on a technical level but pretty hollow on an emotional level. Me and my friends mostly predicted the twist and I found the film took itself to seriously for most of the run time though late in the runtime it finally kicked up the gonzo levels and helped it end on a better note. All in all I'd say it definitely isn't boring but not really all that exciting either. Probably was most entertained by recognizing some of the film locations on the Seattle Underground tour as I took that tour when I visited Seattle years ago.

Also watched The Empty Man and that film was my jam, slow, contemplative, creepy and making you question reality. Had just enough levity to not get bogged down and went in an interesting direction at the end. Best advice is don't watch the trailer as it sets the film up as more of a standard jump scare horror, while some of that type of horror is referenced in the film it generally takes a way more introspective look at it.

So for the 2021 film challenge I'm needing a 70s apocalyptic film. I've seen the ones that actually interest me, with maybe two exceptions that are not available on any services I have.

Any recommendations for something 70s apocalyptic that would be available on Netflix, Prime, Criterion, Vudu, Tubi, Hulu, etc?

Off the top of my head I've seen:
Dawn of the Dead
Boy and His Dog
Logan's Run
Mad Max
Chosen Survivors

Please help, as I am headed for a date with Deathsport.

No Blade of Grass is sort of on my radar but something about it just . . . does not speak to me.

Also, I am watching Priest because I'm in a weird mood and needed something diverting but inconsequential and the acting from some of the leads is . . . painful. It is painful.

Any recommendations for something 70s apocalyptic that would be available on Netflix, Prime, Criterion, Vudu, Tubi, Hulu, etc?
Peter Weir's The Last Wave is on Criterion. I almost went with that one but decided on Chosen Survivors instead.

So for the 2021 film challenge I'm needing a 70s apocalyptic film. I've seen the ones that actually interest me, with maybe two exceptions that are not available on any services I have.

Dawn of the Dead
Boy and His Dog
Logan's Run
Mad Max
Chosen Survivors

No Blade of Grass is sort of on my radar but something about it just . . . does not speak to me.

No Blade of Grass was okay in a way that does not give me much sense for guessing if someone would like it or not. There were parts that jump out in my mind of how I don't know how they'd play for different people (and more importantly, how negatively it would impact their enjoyment of the movie).

A Boy and His... oh wait, you've seen it. If you want some Troll 2 like fun, but as a Mad Max knock-off, and can get ahold of Rats: Night of Terror. Another Mad Max knockoff is The New Barbarians. More competent than Rats.
I was going to say the Bronx Warriors (or I think the one I saw was Escape from the Bronx), but that's more dystopian future, IIRC.

It Comes at Night is one I really like, if you haven't seen it already.

Oh, Night of the Comet!

Edit: just noticed the 70's clause and not 80's knockoffs of 70's post-apocalyptic movies. Hmmm....

Edit 2: I think there was an odd peter fonda one I saw a couple of years back. Let me try to find the title .

Edit 3: Idaho Transfer. It's availability might not be the best.

Anyone else seen Freaky (2020), found it a very amusing Freaky Friday body swap between a "dorky" teenager, Kathryn Newton, and a slasher, Vince Vaughn. It's occasionally plays the awkward comedy up to much which isn't my thing but it uses Vaughn's ability to be both funny and creepy to good use.

Dawn of the Dead
Boy and His Dog
Logan's Run
Mad Max
Chosen Survivors

The Omega Man from 1971 is an adaptation of the I Am Legend book. I don’t know if it’s streaming anywhere.