MoFo Health Thread

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
So you’re saying Adam was an “animal”? A remark like that could get you stoned in certain countries.
I am fairly certain that 2020 has confirmed that we are animals.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Going on my first run in years in a few hours. I don't know how I'll do but hopefully I'll last more than 5 minutes wish me luck!

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
I got a weak immune system myself, so I have to take a puffer every time I get sick.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Looking after your mental health is important, sadly it seems desensitized due to many people thinking depression is cool. If your suffering through these problems, read the good book, meditate or talk with a loved one. You would be surprised how someone appreciates a phone call.

Looking after your mental health is important, sadly it seems desensitized due to many people thinking depression is cool. If your suffering through these problems, read the good book, meditate or talk with a loved one. You would be surprised how someone appreciates a phone call.
Good advice. And exercise is paramount if one has the blues. Get moving & one’s endorphins will kick in & bring a sense of relaxation & accomplishment. I know from past experience that, when depressed, the last thing one wants to do is brave the elements, but it’s worth it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Remember how I went from 127 kg to 103 kg in just 4 months back in 2018?

I mostly just ate sausages and yogurts which is very questionable as far as health goes.

But it did the trick. I lost 25 kg. I was still obese but no longer fat.

But then I gave up my diet for a year. And gained some kilograms. Not many but still.

And then 2020 hit and I started gaining more and more weight, eating lots of sweets and fast food.

Then the COVID-19 outbreak made me continuously stay at home for up to a month without going out once. I guess I only went out 10 or so times in more than half a year. I ordered all food to my door. Even though I thought I felt good, my weight skyrocketed like hell during that time. I was also diagnosed with high blood pressure and started taking meds for that.

My highest measured weight was 132 kg but I might have weighed 134 kg at my worst. This is the heaviest I've ever been either way.

Then I made a decision to once again lose weight and keep it down forever!

I tried going back to the sausage and yogurt thing but I couldn't keep it up. Not to mention I realized it was a pretty stupid and unhealthy idea, to begin with. I tried eating less but I lost very little in half a year.

So I decided to get the diet in a box, one of many you can get. I started from 2500 kcal for a month, then made it 2000 kcal for two months, and now I'm at 1500 kcal and plan to keep it that way. There's no point in going lower. It might actually be unhealthy to go lower. This diet is amazing because it's planned by experts and gives my body everything it requires, in good portions. Well, I wouldn't expect anything less for that price. It's pretty costly but I can afford it.

I also started taking walks. 2 km twice a week to start with, then 3.5 km, and now 7 km. These are not strolls, though, but very intense walks. I try to be as fast as possible when I feel like it (55:38 is my best for 7 km) and just comfortably fast when I don't feel like it (then I usually get something slightly below 60 minutes).

I also do short exercises two times a week. The exercises are not meant to help me lose weight but to just enliven my body after sitting for dozens of hours while working and watching movies.

It'd probably be a good idea to also exercise or walk during the weekend, but it's so hard to do since I usually watch movies all day for three days straight during the weekend. I watched 22 movies in 3 days two weeks ago. Take that, mark!!! He probably watched 40 in 2 days oh well.

I'm at 124 kg right now and I'm pretty excited to see how much the 1500 diet is going to make me lose weight faster versus the 2000 kcal diet. Started 1500 just two days ago!

The goal is below 100 kg. That's 25 kg more to lose. I more or less lost 10 kg since October last year. I wonder how much I will weigh in October this year. Wait, that's only one month away. Are you kidding me?!

I'm doing pretty good as far as motivation and consistency go. So far. The Christmas break is going to be a challenge, for sure.

PS: In the future, if I ever start gaining weight again, please ban access to all my movies. I would lose 20 kg in a month just to be able to watch movies again.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Somewhat similar here, I ticked back up the second half of last year. Nowhere near the old high but more than I'd like.

It's coming back off but slower. I'm determined that this be the very last time I lose this particular bit of weight.

Keep at it. But at this point, if you've gone back up once already, I'd go more modest on the diet. It's frustrating to lose slower, but it's more important that the weight loss be done in a way that's sustainable, even though it can be tougher at first.

I'm not really afraid of sustainability because the diet offers very varied food. That's 5 meals a day and a different interesting meal every day. Even if I stopped exercising and walking altogether, I'd still be losing weight on that diet as long as I'm on it. It's a to-the-door in the morning. You get 5 meals and eat every 3 hours. Pretty easy and I never feel hungry.

I only fear the Christmas break because it's a month off that diet. I'll have to eat stuff I make or buy somewhere else so there's that risk of going amok again. But I think it's gonna be OK as long as I approach it responsibly.

Yeah, it's the "as long as I'm on it" part I mean. There's an old saying that the best diet is whichever one you'll stick to.

I hear ya', on the holiday break thing. The feeling of being obligated to indulge is definitely a common pitfall.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Nobody cares about intermittent fasting, but it can work like a cheat code for counting calories. It’s easier than trying to stretch calories out over a whole day, for me.

I have a few family member who've done intermittent fasting with a fair bit of success, yeah. One of my softball teams, who's in ridiculous shape, does it as well.

I forgot to mention that the sausages + yogurt thing was intermittent fasting, too. 16 hours without eating...

Apparently, intermittent fasting is not as healthy as eating small portions of food often, though. Even if it's healthy food.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I will definitely come back and argue the IF point when I have more time.

The body is like a computer and only has so much RAM. If it’s constantly using it to process food, other areas languish.

Why working out is great for health, but not for weight loss, explained in five minutes.

This video, famous video, explained how I've been thinking everything wrong all this time. I've always defined that I was fat (110kg - 1,75cm) mainly because I didn't like to work out, I'm not a active fellow, I embraced that was the only problem, I agreed I was the sole responsible for my state, I thought slim people eaten less and worked out more, that's why they were slim. That was until I get to know a work buddy that was slim like a bean stick that was constantly eating, eating poorly and couldn't get fat even if he wanted to. That's when it ticket, I did a search and I fond this video. I'm not gonna lie, I eat, I eat a lot considering what I believe is the reasonable portion to eat. The thing about me is: I don't know what fast food is, I don't know what sugar is. I eat a bread a day, I eat vegetables, but I eat big portions of everything. I don't like physical exercise, and I've been blaming myself for it. You kinda know, if you're fat, that people look at you like you're just lazy, that's why you're fat, and it's not entirely untrue, I know my boss looks at me that way, my mother told me that no company should hire someone that is fat to do a desk job. I have a coworker that is very active and I know by the way he talks and looks at me that he fells that I'm just lazy, that I should be ashamed, he was talking the other day about how athletes to do the heaviest training would put weights around themselves and run, climb, and he looked at me and said: Imagine. I told him: I know exactly what they feel. Some people don't know, but exercise is much more difficult the more weight you have. I'm not trying to take responsibly away from my situation, but it's not as straightforward as people think. I follow more or less the Mediterranean diet, but I eat lots of meat and not much fish. I have a boxing bag and is the only sport I can enjoy doing, I don't like walking for the sake of walking, I can't do anything expecting a reward, or, a regime. I accepted I was fat, it might sound I care about what other people think, but it's more of a defensive mechanism to know what might come from that individual. Being honest, if I cared about what other people think I'd have slimmed down long ago, I think that's the greatest motivation to people that actually manage to do it. Obviously, I want to slim down, but it's very clear the way to do it is calories counting. I slimmed down 20kg two years ago by cutting bread, rice and potatoes and substituting everything with vegetables, a lot of them. I don't drink alcohol, I don't drink anything with sugar, a occasional pizza, once, maybe twice a month, the cooking is almost all without salt, I don't eat anything fried, I mean, my health is topnotch my doctors tell me, but I don't burn enough calories to the ones I intake, and my problem is: the thing I love most about living is probably eating, I completely love eating. And sunflower seeds, they have lots of calories but I can't leave them aside, I love my Babkiny: