The Baker's Dozen Movie Game Thread

Tools    

13 unnecessary sequels, reboots, or spinoffs of classic movies (Include comment for or rating of the film(s))

1. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Terminator Salvation, Terminator: Genysis, Terminator: Dark Fate (One big mess of a franchise. It should have ended at Terminator 2: Judgement Day)
2. Mary Poppins Returns (The fact that it took 54 years to come up with a sequel should have been a huge red flag)
3. Robocop 2 (Robocop should have ended with Murphy regaining these human attitudes, and some secondary character staying killed, making a certain line bitterly ironical, but the sequels completely blunted the impact(s) of the original's ending. The pure reboot was okay though, taking the concept to a different direction.)
3. Stayin Alive (This dreadful sequel brought Saturday Night Fever's Tony Manero from Brooklyn to Broadway, but the story showed complete ignorance regarding the rigors of being a dancer on Broadway)'
4. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Ironically it is also BY FAR the beat SW movie that Disney has contributed since taking over and is a fun ride, but also completely unnecessary. The first couple of lines in the original SW crawl was more than enough for more than 40 years, didn't really need an entire movie to expand on it)
5. Rambo: First Blood Part II, Rambo III, Rambo, Rambo: Last Blood (First Blood was a film that was based on a novel about a Vietnam veteran returning home from battling a war that was deemed unjust, to find himself facing a war from being treated unjustly by his own countrymen. It showed the struggles of one such veteran in John Rambo, with the end scene when he breaks down in the arms of the only person he can trust, his Lieutenant, making a relevant statement and striking a nerve for anyone who had the same experiences. Every sequel afterwards, which came out of Sylvester Stallone's head that turned Rambo into a superhero soldier, lost the point and the plot of that first film and went into brainless action territory, the worst and most unnecessary of them being Last Blood. I always thought First Blood should have ended with John Rambo killing himself that way the novel's writer intended it to end.)
5. Analyze That (This sequel to the hit Analyze This is just a rehash of the first film.)
6. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (The original Superman movie and it's first sequel are the quintessential Superman films of all. I am not a fan of all the non-Christopher Reeve Superman films. I'll give Superman III a pass, just because I like Richard Pryor, and the Clark Kent/Superman showdown is probably the most epic fight scene in movie history. The fourth film however was just terrible. Awful. Horrible script. Cheap special effects. Nuclear Man has got to be the most uninteresting villain in any superhero film. Even Christopher Reeve was embarrassed by the whole thing. And I'm surprised to this day that Gene Hackman agreed to reprise his role as Lex Luthor in this stinking pile of garbage of a film.)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

"How tall is King Kong ?"
(we're at 7 actually. the 5 was doubled)

(also i can't tell of that's a screenshot from the film or from some old Mortal Kombat DLC )

13 unnecessary sequels, reboots, or spinoffs of classic movies (Include comment for or rating of the film(s))

1. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, Terminator Salvation, Terminator: Genysis, Terminator: Dark Fate (One big mess of a franchise. It should have ended at Terminator 2: Judgement Day)
2. Mary Poppins Returns (The fact that it took 54 years to come up with a sequel should have been a huge red flag)
3. Robocop 2 (Robocop should have ended with Murphy regaining these human attitudes, and some secondary character staying killed, making a certain line bitterly ironical, but the sequels completely blunted the impact(s) of the original's ending. The pure reboot was okay though, taking the concept to a different direction.)
3. Stayin Alive (This dreadful sequel brought Saturday Night Fever's Tony Manero from Brooklyn to Broadway, but the story showed complete ignorance regarding the rigors of being a dancer on Broadway)'
4. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Ironically it is also BY FAR the beat SW movie that Disney has contributed since taking over and is a fun ride, but also completely unnecessary. The first couple of lines in the original SW crawl was more than enough for more than 40 years, didn't really need an entire movie to expand on it)
5. Rambo: First Blood Part II, Rambo III, Rambo, Rambo: Last Blood (First Blood was a film that was based on a novel about a Vietnam veteran returning home from battling a war that was deemed unjust, to find himself facing a war from being treated unjustly by his own countrymen. It showed the struggles of one such veteran in John Rambo, with the end scene when he breaks down in the arms of the only person he can trust, his Lieutenant, making a relevant statement and striking a nerve for anyone who had the same experiences. Every sequel afterwards, which came out of Sylvester Stallone's head that turned Rambo into a superhero soldier, lost the point and the plot of that first film and went into brainless action territory, the worst and most unnecessary of them being Last Blood. I always thought First Blood should have ended with John Rambo killing himself that way the novel's writer intended it to end.)
5. Analyze That (This sequel to the hit Analyze This is just a rehash of the first film.)
6. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (The original Superman movie and it's first sequel are the quintessential Superman films of all. I am not a fan of all the non-Christopher Reeve Superman films. I'll give Superman III a pass, just because I like Richard Pryor, and the Clark Kent/Superman showdown is probably the most epic fight scene in movie history. The fourth film however was just terrible. Awful. Horrible script. Cheap special effects. Nuclear Man has got to be the most uninteresting villain in any superhero film. Even Christopher Reeve was embarrassed by the whole thing. And I'm surprised to this day that Gene Hackman agreed to reprise his role as Lex Luthor in this stinking pile of garbage of a film.)
7.The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.
Even though i am a big fan of The Matrix films, and Reloaded and Revolutions have some qualities i do appreciate, there are one big problem. That is Zion. In the first Matrix film, zion was a very mythical and almost impossible dream. i think the expectations of what Zion is, made it problemathic. Maby i was most dissapointed of the style they chose for clothes etc. As shown in the picture below. Dancing and playing drums.
Maby The Matrix trilogy would be better with only the environment surrounding the Nebuchadnezzar to be portrayed, and just leave zion as a mythical/folklore tail almost.
Matrix Reloaded stuck to alot that worked in the first film, and even added on with very stylish fights along the highway etc. That is the pure style of The Matrix univers, and it is enough to separate them with Blue and Green.There are so many cool characters in the last two films, like Seraph, The Trainman etc. The Matrix could have been much better all over.

The Nebuchadnezzar, the Sentinel army, the fight when the Sentinel brech into the dock are great. They should have stuck to the dark blue environment. So Zion ruined alot for me.

6. Analyze That (This sequel to the hit Analyze This is just a rehash of the first film.)
7. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (The original Superman movie and it's first sequel are the quintessential Superman films of all. I am not a fan of all the non-Christopher Reeve Superman films. I'll give Superman III a pass, just because I like Richard Pryor, and the Clark Kent/Superman showdown is probably the most epic fight scene in movie history. The fourth film however was just terrible. Awful. Horrible script. Cheap special effects. Nuclear Man has got to be the most uninteresting villain in any superhero film. Even Christopher Reeve was embarrassed by the whole thing. And I'm surprised to this day that Gene Hackman agreed to reprise his role as Lex Luthor in this stinking pile of garbage of a film.)
8.The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions.
Even though i am a big fan of The Matrix films, and Reloaded and Revolutions have some qualities i do appreciate, there are one big problem. That is Zion. In the first Matrix film, zion was a very mythical and almost impossible dream. i think the expectations of what Zion is, made it problemathic. Maby i was most dissapointed of the style they chose for clothes etc. As shown in the picture below. Dancing and playing drums.
Maby The Matrix trilogy would be better with only the environment surrounding the Nebuchadnezzar to be portrayed, and just leave zion as a mythical/folklore tail almost.
Matrix Reloaded stuck to alot that worked in the first film, and even added on with very stylish fights along the highway etc. That is the pure style of The Matrix univers, and it is enough to separate them with Blue and Green.There are so many cool characters in the last two films, like Seraph, The Trainman etc. The Matrix could have been much better all over.

The Nebuchadnezzar, the Sentinel army, the fight when the Sentinel brech into the dock are great. They should have stuck to the dark blue environment. So Zion ruined alot for me.
9. Coming 2 America (It took 33 years for Eddie Murphy to come up with a sequel to his 1988 classic Coming To America. Let's be honest, the movie did not need a sequel. At all. But when it was announced, A part of me was hoping it would turn out good. Expectations were crushed. The sequel is not just unneeded, but lacks the charm, heart, and "soul-glo" that made the original one of the most beloved comedies of all time.

6. Analyze That (This sequel to the hit Analyze This is just a rehash of the first film.)
7. Superman IV: The Quest for Peace (The original Superman movie and it's first sequel are the quintessential Superman films of all. I am not a fan of all the non-Christopher Reeve Superman films. I'll give Superman III a pass, just because I like Richard Pryor, and the Clark Kent/Superman showdown is probably the most epic fight scene in movie history. The fourth film however was just terrible. Awful. Horrible script. Cheap special effects. Nuclear Man has got to be the most uninteresting villain in any superhero film. Even Christopher Reeve was embarrassed by the whole thing. And I'm surprised to this day that Gene Hackman agreed to reprise his role as Lex Luthor in this stinking pile of garbage of a film.)

9. Coming 2 America (It took 33 years for Eddie Murphy to come up with a sequel to his 1988 classic Coming To America. Let's be honest, the movie did not need a sequel. At all. But when it was announced, A part of me was hoping it would turn out good. Expectations were crushed. The sequel is not just unneeded, but lacks the charm, heart, and "soul-glo" that made the original one of the most beloved comedies of all time.
The Crow: City of Angels (1996)
The Crow: Salvation (2000)
The Crow: Wicked Prayer (2005)
I have not seen the three follow ups to The Crow (1994), in very early 2000 i rented one by mistake, but i dont think i saw the full movie.

I have not seen the three follow ups to The Crow (1994), in very early 2000 i rented one by mistake, but i dont think i saw the full movie.
11. Beverly Hills Cop II and III (The only reason the sequels came about was because the first film was such a monster hit. It didn't need a sequel, and it the first film had bombed, 2 and 3 never would have been made)

11. Beverly Hills Cop II and III (The only reason the sequels came about was because the first film was such a monster hit. It didn't need a sequel, and it the first film had bombed, 2 and 3 never would have been made)
12. Speed 2: Cruise Control 1997

3. Stayin Alive (This dreadful sequel brought Saturday Night Fever's Tony Manero from Brooklyn to Broadway, but the story showed complete ignorance regarding the rigors of being a dancer on Broadway)
Matrix Reloaded stuck to alot that worked in the first film, and even added on with very stylish fights along the highway etc. That is the pure style of The Matrix univers, and it is enough to separate them with Blue and Green.There are so many cool characters in the last two films, like Seraph, The Trainman etc. The Matrix could have been much better all over. The Nebuchadnezzar, the Sentinel army, the fight when the Sentinel brech into the dock are great. They should have stuck to the dark blue environment. So Zion ruined alot for me.

10. The Crow: City of Angels (1996) The Crow: Salvation (2000) The Crow: Wicked Prayer (2005)
12. Speed 2: Cruise Control 1997

13. Cube 2, 0, and whatever. (Cube was a lovely metaphorical thriller, that required no other explanation than the characters' speculations, and functioned better as an abstract allegory than as any possible rational plot element. The prequels and sequels of course directly proceeded to waste that, by adding absurd "explanations" and conspiracies, in addition to pseudo-scientific devices (4 dimension hypercubes) that just made it all the more nonsensical. It's like adding a Plan 9 plot to Hitchcock's The Birds, because hey, gotta top this and expand on that. The worst and most typical abuse of "sequels".)

13 original movies to better watch instead of their more famous, more popular, more seen remakes.
"[title] (year) instead of [title] (year)"

1. Abre Los Ojos (1997) instead of Vanilla Sky (2001)

13 original movies to better watch instead of their more famous, more popular, more seen remakes.

2. Intouchables (2011) instead of The Upside (2017)

3. Insomnia(1997) instead of Insomnia(2002)

4. Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) instead of Guess Who (2005)

[b]13 original movies to better watch instead of their more famous, more popular, more seen remakes.
"[title] (year) instead of [title] (year)"[b]

5. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (1974) instead of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009)

3. Insomnia (1997) instead of Insomnia(2002)
5. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (1974) instead of The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (2009)
6. [Rec] (2007) instead of Quarantine (2008)

Spammer, copy/paste from earlier in the thread - it's not like they care about continuity

7. Dawn of the Dead (1978) instead of Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Okay, fixed

7. Dawn of the Dead (1978) instead of Dawn of the Dead (2004)
8. Psycho (1960) instead of Psycho (1998)