What "Movie Stuff" Do You WATCH On YouTube?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Besides movies themselves.

I say "watch", because I know there is a lot of audio-only stuff nowadays, especially with podcasts.

Do you look at a random YouTuber reviewing a movie you're interested in? Do you prefer professional critics? Do you ever use it as a preview when you're trying to decide on a movie to watch, and you don't feel like seeing something you've already seen? Do you ever watch videos of directors/actors you don't know?

I usually prefer things I haven't seen, unless I can't think of anything, or if I'm busy around the house and not able to pay attention. I really love interviews and documentaries. I know I've seen a handful of great stuff I've seen just by using our Search device, or if I'm reading an interesting thread and something jumps out at me, usually on Page 1. ... I subscribe to a lot of channels, especially since YouTube seems to place the channels you watch the most at the top.

I would love to concentrate more on chronology. On things I read at a site like newspapers.com, I usually start with a person who fascinates me, start with a year, and go backwards year by year, and see chart the changes in my head, as well as saving it all.

What specific channels do you watch? I should probably look at my YouTube history just to see any possible trends, or possibly certain things (not channels) I had been searching for, and something I should continue since there could be a lot of new uploads in a few months.

I also have a list of about a dozen of people (actors/directors) I'll search, and filter it out of course to see the latest stuff, sometimes expanding it to a year just in case my memory is off, but also because I notice people who post something publicly, put it on private, and then put it back on public (something I noticed from my "Watch Later") list.

How do you find new things to check out? YouTube recommendations? Things you see from here?

Also, how strong do you think the up-or-down votes affect future recommendations? I usually see recommendations based on whatever I watched, and sometimes the "opposite". For example, if I were to search for a Ken Loach interview with a host like Clive Anderson, I might get recommendations I don't necessarily want about Clive and his associates. Also, if I were to hit the thumbs-down button, would it give me less Ken Loach stuff, and/or Anderson stuff? I have a bad connection and laptop, so I never access YouTube unless it's from my TV app which isn't as easy to thumbs up/down as it is on a computer/laptop with a simple click.

If I'm reading a book and an amazing story comes up that was possibly recorded, I like to view it to have context, to be in that moment, but to also see the disparity between memory and "truth", since no one in the 1950s knew about a future internet and YouTube, etc.. Nowadays, everyone knows they're being recorded, so people, especially celebrities are going to be self-conscious.

I don't do this as much as I'd like, but I LOVE reading comments.. Lots of great stories, sometimes recommendations, sometimes even the artist themselves, although it's never from someone very popular. But that's another disadvantage watching YouTube through my TV app, where I have no option of reading comments.

"How tall is King Kong ?"
Red Letter Media, CineFix, Honest Trailers, Pitch Meeting. That's all.

I'd add Every Frame a Painting, it's the best but it's discontinued.

Sometimes I check some unlikely old pre-internet interviews of actors or filmmakers. Or more recent Graham Norton bits.

I used to check CinemaWins, but it was much more interesting when it focused on the good aspects of notorious flops. Now that he only does the latest trendy popular successes (safer in terms of views I guess), so his commentaries are a bit redundant.

I don't really check comments. I don't have an account.

That's all, I think.

Red Letter Media, CineFix, Honest Trailers, Pitch Meeting. That's all.

I'd add Every Frame a Painting, it's the best but it's discontinued.

Sometimes I check some unlikely old pre-internet interviews of actors or filmmakers. Or more recent Graham Norton bits.

I used to check CinemaWins, but it was much more interesting when it focused on the good aspects of notorious flops. Now that he only does the latest trendy popular successes (safer in terms of views I guess), so his commentaries are a bit redundant.

I don't really check comments. I don't have an account.

That's all, I think.

Since you don't have an account, do you get more random suggestions?

Lindsay Ellis, Maggie Mae Fish and Folding Ideas are my main smart movie channels. I watch a lot more stuff about trash movies than about good ones, generally through Redlettermedia, though I also take recommendations when they loved a movie. Jenny Nicholson sometimes talks about bad movies as well, like Beastly or the Land Before Time series.

I rarely read comments on these. They mostly just repeat references, so it's not even funny.

Thumbs down is not a good way to adjust your recommendations. You want to click on the three dots top left, click not interested, and say why. You can also go in your watch history and delete stuff if you don't like the recommendations you got from some video.

Not so much reviews but reaction videos. Don't have an account either but I do have Blood Suckers from 1971 bookmarked. From what I've found out it's listed as Incense for the Damned on IMDb and it's a mess of a movie so I'm debating whether or not to actually watch it.

The Corridor Crew's VFX Artists React and Stuntmen React videos are the ones I watch most regularly. Just industry folks trying to pick apart or offer insights how certain special effects or stunts were executed. Quite edifying and entertaining at the same time. Scott Adkins appeared on one of their recent videos and is apparently a fan, so don't just take my word for it.

As for video essays, Lindsay Ellis and Patrick H Willems are the ones I watch most often. On top of the quality of their analysis (which tends to be quite good), they speak in smooth and even tones and appreciate the importance of pauses. Nerdwriter is good as well, but doesn't seem to be terribly active these days. I used to watch the Cinema Snob at one point as I was getting into exploitation movies, but you can only take someone yelling at you for so long.

Jenny Nicholson was cited upthread, and while I've enjoyed the content of what she talks about, her decision to edit her videos to move as quickly as possible (leaving next to no pauses) makes them an exhausting viewing experience. I've had the same experience with some other YouTubers I've tried out as well.

Not so much reviews but reaction videos. Don't have an account either but I do have Blood Suckers from 1971 bookmarked. From what I've found out it's listed as Incense for the Damned on IMDb and it's a mess of a movie so I'm debating whether or not to actually watch it.

I started to watching reaction videos a few years ago, and even started a channel, with my cousin acting as my son.. "FatherAndSonReacts". He eventually stopped, so I'd do some editing tricks, basically using old video, but a new song. Got up to 8,000 subscribers, but also used it to upload a movie every evening. I'd test it out on a burner account to see if it violated copyright, and then upload it to my channel, but I guess in this case, it took a while, and because I had a handful of "This Is Garry Shandling's Show", I got the three strikes instantly and lost my account.

I started to watching reaction videos a few years ago, and even started a channel, with my cousin acting as my son.. "FatherAndSonReacts". He eventually stopped, so I'd do some editing tricks, basically using old video, but a new song. Got up to 8,000 subscribers, but also used it to upload a movie every evening. I'd test it out on a burner account to see if it violated copyright, and then upload it to my channel, but I guess in this case, it took a while, and because I had a handful of "This Is Garry Shandling's Show", I got the three strikes instantly and lost my account.
Sounds like you flew too close to the son.

But as far as reactors go I mostly follow Mr. Video and Jamel_AKA_Jamal. They mostly do music videos but Leo (Mr. Video) does the occasional movie too. He's hilarious. Starts each of his reaction vids by lighting up a big spliff.

Sounds like you flew too close to the son.

I think I "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun"

But in all seriousness, it got popular very quickly. I attribute doing Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" during the time it was in theaters. It had about 80,000 views on that video alone. Then with all those subscribers, I thought I might as well voice my opinions, doing live-streams, etc..

cinnemassacre always puts out great movie reviews.

For finding something new to watch, I don't try. There are far too many on my "watch again" list to actively look for new movies to watch. Besides, something new and possibly of interest always comes across my radar, and about 20% of the time, it's worth watching.