Asian Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

Is the missing film from your expected top 5 Daimajin? I'd have to go back through the reviews again, but that seemed to have a good overall reception as well.

I'm really interested to see how the more divisive films like Hanagatami and Tears of the Black Tiger do.

I could see it coming in the top five or last place everything is so divisive in this hall Hanagatami could have 2 or 3 high scores and that would be enough to put in the top five.

Thanks everyone for joining and completing and on time! Every single nomination was a unique watching experience for me and thanks to you guys I've expanded my knowledge of Asian films and seen a wide style of films.

So here we go and remember every HoF has to have a movie in last place, but that don't mean it's not worthy, just that other films were more liked.

9th Place

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow (1978)
47 points
Hashtagbrownies

"My pick for the Hall of Fame. It's not entirely unknown or anything like that, but I wanted to pick something that maybe not many had seen before but something that was also highly entertaining." Hashtag

Tied 8th Place

Chocolate (2008)
49 points
PahaK

"JeeJa Yanin's portrayal of an autistic girl trying to get money for her mother's hospital bill is sympathetic for sure. Acting, in general, is above average for an action film like this, but JeeJa is easily the star." PahaK

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow was #7 on my list. It had been awhile since I'd watched a kung-fu comedy film, so I was able to appreciate the tropes and it sparked a lot of nostalgia.
I could see that film doing well in a Martial Arts HoF. It didn't work for me just because I'm not a fan of martial arts movies.

Tied 8th Place

Dust in the Wind (1986)
49 points
Wyldesyde

"Hou Hsiao-hsien is a evocative director. His films are told in pretty straightforward, and allows gestures and dialogue to move the story along, while also weaving seamlessly into beautiful shots involving the landscape." Wyldesyde

Didn't notice Chocolate had also come up. I had it one ahead of Snake in the Eagle's Shadow at #6. The middle of my list was a tough call placement wise. I was completely confident in my top 4 and bottom 2, but the others could definitely wiggle around.

Second Hall of Fame in a row that I've come last place, lol. I don't remember anyone here completely disliking it so that's good at least
I've came in last a couple of times myself. Oh well

7th Place

Hanagatami (2017)
58 points
Ueno_station54

"This is it, the film Obayashi spent 40 years trying to make and you don't need to be told that because it is felt whist watching and even though the man managed to squeak out another masterpiece after this (Labyrinth of Cinema) this is truly his swan song." Ueno_Station

I had Hanagatami at #8. I grew to appreciate it over time, and even more still when I reflected on it after. But I liked a lot of the films in this HoF, so it ultimatly ended up a little lower. At the very least, it's a very unique experience.

6th Place

Tears of the Black Tiger (2000)
60 points
Jiraffejustin

"I'm partial to films that are just plain weird and don't stick convention. While this film doesn't go completely off the rails avoiding the rules of cinema, it's pretty clear that it's not trying to be a regular film of its day." Jiraffejustin

Was almost expecting Hanagatami to come last, considering how mixed a lot of the reviews were.
People were either hot or cold on it. I liked it much more after I read the story of the director. Somehow knowing it was a film that he had poured his own hopes and fears into, made the film a deeper experience for me.