Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Martha Marcy May Marlene

This film leaves many unanswered questions. Why did Martha leave her home in the first place, only to be swayed by a mysogynist cult? What were the intentions of this cult? Why didn't Lucy do more to prod Martha into giving more details about what she'd experienced for two years?

These questions turn into plot holes, clearly refusing to answer any of them. What this film has going for it though are the performances from each character, except cult leader Patrick. His contrived stares and monotone voice obscure his character from reaching horrific heights, instead squandering a role that's so pivotal to this story. It pales in comparison to each and everybody else.

The paranoia that builds from the early moments of Elizabeth Olsen's character escaping the cult permeate throughout the whole flick, a strong element of the film that requires no disinterested, negative comment, because I truly felt the paranoia that Martha did (in part because of Olsen's wonderful performance).

Beneath some embarrassing plot issues reveals a great film, with great performances and an eerie, suspicious atmosphere, and also an ending that hit me square in the gut, leaving a question I didn't mind not being answered.

I'm glad you liked it, but I disagree completely with those criticisms. I give Martha Marcy May Marlene

I think the answers to your questions are there, but very subtle and you might have been a little too busy criticising the movie to actually pay close enough attention to figure it out. For one thing, I think her sister didn't truly care enough to really help her and that's why she wasn't able to find out what happened to her. Martha was a reserved person and didn't care to share all of that with her sister, because she knew her sister wouldn't really try to understand anyway.

I Saw the Devil (2010)
Rewatch

With wifey being in a good mood after The Big Country, I got her to try her first Asian movie. She didn't like this one nearly as much, and she was a bit horrified at times. Of course, it's a big favorite of mine. Choi Min-sik plays one of the baddest villains ever, and this is one of the best movies out there if you're looking for something that's disturbing, yet extremely well made.

God know how I love this flick! Awesome rating

Madness is the emergency exit…
Angel Whispers (2015)

A Hong Kong Slasher set in a brothel. Very mediocre.

Don't Grow Up aka Alone (2015)

A group of six adolescents in a youth facility suddenly discovers 'freedom' when they realize that everyone who should be taking care of them has disappeared and then they leave the facility and heads to town looking for supplies but things take an unexpectedly horrific twist when any adult they encounter tries to kill them.

Now, a movie with a plot like that where a group of youngsters trying to survive against the adults who are just acting like rampaging zombies, I expected it at least to be a fun & exciting flick like The Children or Eden Lake (just switching the per-adolescent monsters to adults). But the movie just losses it all at the last act where it strangely becomes dull, slow and tries to be a more serious & pretentious flick all of a sudden.

I have to return some videotapes...
Bernie (2012) -
+

A good insight to the character, but a little too slow for the first 50 minutes and really doesn't pick up for a long time. Brilliant performance by Jack Black; I never knew he could reach these heights as an actor. Wasn't a huge fan of the dry comedy, but I get the idea.

Welcome to the human race...
Sicario -

Still good a second time around, though watching it on a TV instead of in a cinema really drives how how much of the experience is in the sound design.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Inside Man (2006)

Heist movie with a twist. Spike Lee did a good job with this one. I think he's a bit of a twat, but hey, credit where credit is due. Great visual New Yorky vibe, with a solid cast. I had some problems with the plot, which was a little too slick, and fluffed off a few things, but if you can get over that, it's pretty enjoyable overall.

I give 4 transit cops out of 5.

Modern Times (1936) -

This is another Chaplin movie that i saw on the forums and gave it a try. It wasnt as good like The Great Dictator was, but its not bad either. It was a good watch with a good Chaplin performance, but it lacked some things and some seemed to me repetitve and boring. I reccomend this to everyone give it a try if you like older movies ...

Care for some gopher?
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (Ted Post, 1970) -

Very enjoyable but trashy in its second half.

I watched Samba (2014) last night. It's a funny little French film about a serious subject - illegal immigrants. I found it both hilarious and sad at the same time and thought it was a good attempt at bringing light to the issue without being too heavy.

I would rate it

Bernie (2012) -
+

A good insight to the character, but a little too slow for the first 50 minutes and really doesn't pick up for a long time. Brilliant performance by Jack Black; I never knew he could reach these heights as an actor. Wasn't a huge fan of the dry comedy, but I get the idea.
That film is really weird, probably my least favourite Linklater (only seen 8) but i still like it as much as you probably. I wasn't as receptive to his performance as you though as i felt i'd already seen Jack counteracting his usual zany persona with the calm, straight man before, i agree though it is probably his best performance. Shirley Maclaine was the highlight for me personally.

Haven't watched much recently. The last film i watched was Bad Neighbours (2014) i think would probably give it a
. Wasn't expecting much and it didn't deliver anything more; had a few laughs but it was boring more than anything.

Greatest reviewer alive
The Assassination Of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford

The assasssination of Jesse James was never an American story I studied too much. The one complaint I have for this film may not even be a dig at the film itself, but what the American mentality was after Jesse James was killed. I'll get to that later...

For one, the ensemble couldn't be any better. Sam Rockwell and Casey Affleck putting in one of their best roles (Rockwell's best was Moon of course). Brad Pitt as the titular Jesse James does wonders with his thousand yard stares. He hides behind a cigar and masks such evil through eloquent speech and contagious laughter. He plays a wonderful villain, which leads me to believe Andrew Dominick (Director) maybe wants the viewers to root for the bad guy, as did Americans during the late 1800's who lauded Mr. James as a Robin Hood. Stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, which is not true. He and his bandits kept every last dime.

I call this the Devil's Rejects syndrome, meaning the characters in the Devil's Rejects were vile, disgusting human beings, but when they're each killed at the end you feel sympathy, where contempt should be placed. The same can be said here, you feel for Jesse James. But why? He killed 17 people and stole hundreds of thousands of dollars throughout his criminal career, yet people find Rob Ford a coward? As I've mentioned prior, this isn't a complaint towards the film, but a complaint about what Americans valued then. It juggles the sympathy card all too well in this film. As for me though, as much as Brad Pitt puts in a great performance, I applauded Rob Ford for taking down the worst American menace to society with that single shot.

All In All, The Assassination Of Jesse James is fantastic, no two ways around that. The acting being the strongest element, the direction from first timer Andrew Dominick (Killing Them Softly being his best film thus far though) is great, writing, costume design. All exceptional.

A-

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Chopper was Dominik's first and probably best film, although I still don't think that much of it.

Greatest reviewer alive
A Separation

A Separation, the title, carries many meanings. Moving beyond it's common understanding as a listing of marital divide, the actual separation between the focal husband and wife, is merely a fraction of what this story's trying to express.

In fact, A Separation doesn't pay much attention to the mechanics of marriage in the end, employing the fractured union as a bookend device to reinforce the delicate emotional state of these characters. It's really about Nader, a man who makes a grave mistake and shoves a woman out of his house under the pretext that the woman has harmed his Alzheimer's stricken father. Peyman Moaadi plays Nader, a breathtaking performance of someone losing his sanity, maybe even regretting the decision not to leave with his wife and daughter and leaving his father behind.

The woman in question who suffers the brunt end of Nader's shove is surrounded by sin, and eventually ends up doing something admirable in the end. Her husband plays a man grieving and self-righteously stubborn, for good reason though. These characters seem all too real, in a land of oppression and lies. This story could've been another film about two people, not so amicably, divorcing but instead tells an original story that I'm sure will linger with you for weeks to come.

All In All, A Separation is a story of convoluted half-truths, unrelenting argumentative behavior, a terrible justice system, and families suffering consequential aftermaths. And it's never been so beautiful. A

Madness is the emergency exit…
The Boy (2016)

Loved its old school horror flavor, particularly the location, atmosphere & the tone reminded me of 60s or 70s style of genre film making. The creepy doll parts were nicely done, at least a way better accomplishment than Annabelle. They didn't try to do anything excessive with a sudden loud noise & cliched scare tactics. But the only disappointment comes with the 'twist' at the end, that kinda gave it a mediocre look.

Close-up
(1990)

An unique masterpiece of its kind; an excellent docu-drama that depicts the story of the real-life trial of a man who impersonated a popular film-maker and conning a family into believing they would star in his new film. A very moving tale about human identity and a cinephile's 'crime' of passion.