Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Irrational Man
WARNING: "I gotta tell ya" spoilers below
I was really rooting for him to get away with it. Though I knew, being a Woody Allen affair, I was pretty sure he wasn't. AND, the true moral? Stay with someone closer to your age. Rita was gonna stay with him and runaway with him regardless of the murder. LOL

"It's a fine pig, Doc."

(REWATCH) Doc Hollywood
Haven't seen this one since the nineties and forgot how much I enjoyed it. Caught it on TV and very glad I did.

The Man from U.N.C.L.E (2015)

Care for some gopher?
The Pleasure Garden (Alfred Hitchcock, 1925) -

Hitchcock's first movie. Not really my cup of tea but it has some enjoyable moments.

The Lodger (Alfred Hitchcock, 1927) -
+

Now this is an excellent movie! Hitchcock's first suspense flick still works today. Unfortunately, there are many different versions out there. Some run 70 minutes, some 90. And there are at least three different soundtracks. I watched the version of the ScreenGems DVD (70 minute, coloured) which has an amazing soundtrack.

Planet of the Apes
(Franklin J. Schaffner, 1968) -
+

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Spellbound (A. Hitchcock, 1945)

Not one of Hitch's best films but still with some brilliant elements.
The soundtrack and the use of music is astonishing! The cinematograpy has some really great and inovating bits that only Hitchcock could come up with.
The plot is nicely arranged and entertaining enough. It's probably one of the first films adressing psychoanalysis, which is by itself very interesting.
The acting is solid especially by the one and only Ingrid Bergman and a very curious appearence by Michael Chekhov, one of the most brilliant minds of the 20th century, one of the greatest theatre actors of all time and a man I've been investigating and learning from in the past 6 months, to my masters thesis. It's wonderful to see him in action, as the only thing I knew of him were his books and the books about him. He got nominated for an Academy Award with this small role and it's a pity he made so few Hollywood films.

+

Greatest reviewer alive
Zootopia

Zootopia could've been the preachiest Disney story, but ends up being an allegory towards racism and how ignorant it is to be prejudice towards (in the film's case) animals that have questionable backgrounds. Among these topical issues, it has to be the cutest film to come out this year and probably won't be topped.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?

Visiting Hours (Rewatch)

Along with movies like Prom Night, Scanners, Funeral Home, Happy Birthday to Me and Curtains, really kicked the 80's off well for Canadian Horror and that stride IMO lasted the entire decade for the most part.

Unregistered User
How Green was my Valley (1941) -
+
The Hunter (2010) -

Holes (2003) -
+
Tomorrowland (2015) -

Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016) -

In the House (2012) -

The Big Country (1958)

I was sure that The Best Years of Our Lives would always be my favorite William Wyler movie. After seeing this almost 3 hour epic, I no longer think that's the case.

This is a very well rounded movie about feuding families, love, and what it means to be a man.

Gregory Peck is phenomenal, and right behind him is Jean Simmons, Charlton Heston, Burl Ives, and Carroll Baker.

I loved every minute of this movie, and so did my wife-a rarity.

I Saw the Devil (2010)
Rewatch

With wifey being in a good mood after The Big Country, I got her to try her first Asian movie. She didn't like this one nearly as much, and she was a bit horrified at times. Of course, it's a big favorite of mine. Choi Min-sik plays one of the baddest villains ever, and this is one of the best movies out there if you're looking for something that's disturbing, yet extremely well made.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I Saw the Devil (2010)
Rewatch

With wifey being in a good mood after The Big Country, I got her to try her first Asian movie. She didn't like this one nearly as much, and she was a bit horrified at times. Of course, it's a big favorite of mine. Choi Min-sik plays one of the baddest villains ever, and this is one of the best movies out there if you're looking for something that's disturbing, yet extremely well made.

I Saw the Devil is a frickin EXCELLENT flick. VERY intense! Fan of both actors

God's Not Dead 2 directed by Harold Cronk -

While the first movie was annoying and cheap, the sequel was boring and stupid. Not in the way of being unintelligent, but much like its predecessor, it panders to the audience that will give it the most money. And that is Christians. I'm fairly certain the audience has very little idea of how a courtroom actually works, because as a fan of that genre, almost seventy percent of the things said and done in that court are completely invalid and moot in an actual court of law. The judge was incompetent, both lawyers awful at their jobs, and the conclusion of the court case itself was unjustified. Not to mention there is nothing compelling about the characters, the dialogue is really weak, and the actors are stale. I hate picking on this movie, because I'm not sure what I expected, but it's safe to say it is neither worse nor better than God's Not Dead 1.
The Breakfast Club directed by John Hughes -

I don't know at what moment it just clicked for me, but the compelling weirdness of all the characters became one of the most charming and genius aspects. I couldn't take my eyes off of it, the writing was astoundingly beautiful, packing an emotional punch and great humor. Every actor brought a performance almost essential to the characters, and I don't think without them I would've loved it as much. It's groundbreaking in storytelling and captures the nonchalant and emotional arrogance that comes with highschool teens, and it does that perfectly. I could watch this over and over, and I think I would get more out of it. It's been a while I've been this in love with a movie.

Greatest reviewer alive
Martha Marcy May Marlene

This film leaves many unanswered questions. Why did Martha leave her home in the first place, only to be swayed by a mysogynist cult? What were the intentions of this cult? Why didn't Lucy do more to prod Martha into giving more details about what she'd experienced for two years?

These questions turn into plot holes, clearly refusing to answer any of them. What this film has going for it though are the performances from each character, except cult leader Patrick. His contrived stares and monotone voice obscure his character from reaching horrific heights, instead squandering a role that's so pivotal to this story. It pales in comparison to each and everybody else.

The paranoia that builds from the early moments of Elizabeth Olsen's character escaping the cult permeate throughout the whole flick, a strong element of the film that requires no disinterested, negative comment, because I truly felt the paranoia that Martha did (in part because of Olsen's wonderful performance).

Beneath some embarrassing plot issues reveals a great film, with great performances and an eerie, suspicious atmosphere, and also an ending that hit me square in the gut, leaving a question I didn't mind not being answered.

Deadpool (marvel one)

There was a lot of hype surrounding this movie being the best R rated comic book movie ect ect. I am not saying a didn't like it because it was a good movie except for a few things that annoyed me personally. Number one I understand Deadpool is the merc with the mouth but sometimes I was just yelling at the screen for Ryan Reynolds to shut up. There was a lot of hit and miss with the jokes and because he did not shut up I was not given the time to process all the goods ones. Number two the villain was a weak nobody (not memorable) and besides turning him into an ugly avocado with teeth there really seemed no reason to worry about him. I know a lot of people get excited when characters break the forth wall but honestly I never cared less for it and it has been done a lot of times since. These were some of the irk's I had with this film other than that I enjoyed it, and finally getting a true character adaptation.

3.5/5 Stars

Greatest reviewer alive

Deadpool (marvel one)

There was a lot of hype surrounding this movie being the best R rated comic book movie ect ect. I am not saying a didn't like it because it was a good movie except for a few things that annoyed me personally. Number one I understand Deadpool is the merc with the mouth but sometimes I was just yelling at the screen for Ryan Reynolds to shut up. There was a lot of hit and miss with the jokes and because he did not shut up I was not given the time to process all the goods ones. Number two the villain was a weak nobody (not memorable) and besides turning him into an ugly avocado with teeth there really seemed no reason to worry about him. I know a lot of people get excited when characters break the forth wall but honestly I never cared less for it and it has been done a lot of times since. These were some of the irk's I had with this film other than that I enjoyed it, and finally getting a true character adaptation.

3.5/5 Stars
What's highlighted bold are criticisms and what's underlined is faint praise

What's highlighted bold are criticisms and what's underlined is faint praise
This is true however I enjoyed the rest of the movie and the things that I mentioned are areas in which annoyed me about it. I didn't want to go into detail about the positives as I stated I did enjoy the movie hence my rating. I just wanted to point out those areas.