Modern movies vs the Classics

Tools    

Hello. I really wanted to watch older movies, ... Maybe because of the modern films, who made their plot cliche-ish. I tried so hard to watch classics and act like its fresh to me, but still no. How can I watch them if that's the situation? Some tips?
I do understand what you're saying. You're so use to the style of new films that you have a hard time getting the style of older movies. The solution....saturation! Stop watching new movies for a while and start watching nothing but the classics. In a short time you will start perceiving the classics as feeling 'normal' to you when you watch them.
Ill try your tip.

Hello. I really wanted to watch older movies, I have but barely made an impact with me. I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien recently, and I was not that satisfied as how should I be. I mean it's genius. But no excitement from me. Maybe because of the modern films, who made their plot cliche-ish. I tried so hard to watch classics and act like its fresh to me, but still no. How can I watch them if thats the situation? Some tips?
I'm not a fan of classic sci-fi movies, with some exceptions like Star Wars.

Sorry but in genres like Sci-Fi and fantasy the special effects are a big part of it; so even going by the limitations of the day, when the special effects just look bad and unbelievable it hurts the immersion.

On the other hand, movies like Casablanca where special effects (thankfully) aren't a huge part of the setting are a different story.

The Terminator
Those Classic horror movies are best and also the crime movies too But Superhero movies and scifi movies i would prefer modern movies.

OP, at what point does a movie become modern and not classic for you? There's many different periods of film so whilst you might not like one period, you might like another. It would be worth looking at much older films- 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien aren't recent but they're not the classic era of Hollywood. You might prefer something that doesn't resemble a 'modern' film at all.

OP, at what point does a movie become modern and not classic for you? There's many different periods of film so whilst you might not like one period, you might like another. It would be worth looking at much older films- 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien aren't recent but they're not the classic era of Hollywood. You might prefer something that doesn't resemble a 'modern' film at all.
Hmm... From my understanding, a modern film is what it is now or five to ten years ago. Maybe I should have said recent instead or modern, but maybe it's because the technical advances played a role in the differences. And by classic, I meant those movies like 30 years ago or earlier that are still garnering great reputation and have influenced lots of movies. Simply, classic movies are those who can stand with time.

Actually, I don't mind the techinicals that much. Its just, its been told a million times by its influences.

If you have any favorite movies that are a remake of an older film you could try watching the original. For example To be or not to be by Mel Brooks is a remake of an old Lubitsch film which is really good and has a message. Jacques Tati is a big influence of several modern comedies including Mr. Bean and I believe was at least an influence on the Pink Panther movies.

Sorry for my bad English :p
when someone is used to only watch new movies, it's hard to watch classic films in the first place, the best way to get used to classic
movies style is to begin with movies that are accessible ( 2001 space odyssey is not easily accessible for someone not used to watch classics )

here's some movies that i'm sur ( i hope ) u'll enjoy:

12 angry men
the apartment
the great escape
to kill a mocking bird
it's a wonderful life

Hmm... From my understanding, a modern film is what it is now or five to ten years ago. Maybe I should have said recent instead or modern, but maybe it's because the technical advances played a role in the differences. And by classic, I meant those movies like 30 years ago or earlier that are still garnering great reputation and have influenced lots of movies. Simply, classic movies are those who can stand with time.

Actually, I don't mind the techinicals that much. Its just, its been told a million times by its influences.

I do see where you're coming from but a lot of the time there's much more to the film than the things it has influenced. For example, I thought I wouldn't like The Graduate because the trope is so frequently used but actually it's an excellent coming-of-age story and is mainly about the confusion people feel post-graduation and the pressures they encounter.

when someone is used to only watch new movies, it's hard to watch classic films in the first place, the best way to get used to classic
movies style is to begin with movies that are accessible ( 2001 space odyssey is not easily accessible for someone not used to watch classics )

here's some movies that i'm sur ( i hope ) u'll enjoy:

12 angry men
the apartment
the great escape
to kill a mocking bird
it's a wonderful life

I just love all of these movies. Have all in my DVD collection.

Henry Fonda, Jack Lemmon, Steve McQueen, Gregory Peck and Jimmy Stewart.

They don't make 'em like that any more.

I was bored to death with 2001: A Space Odyssey and am so relieved that someone else didn't love it.
I can see that. The first time I saw it I wasn't all that taken with it either. I was probably in my late teens, early 20's.

I got curious about Kubrick after I watched Eyes Wide Shut and started paying attention to all of the hullabaloo around symbolism in The Shining.

Anyway, saw it Alamo Drafthouse a few months back (again) and was really able to catch on the symbolism in the film. It's quite genius if you're trying to pick up on stuff while watching. Who knows, maybe Kubrick kept the pace slow to allow time for reflection.

Very artistic endeavor IMO.

@ Opie,
I have a sort of loose theory that we are somewhat a product of our times. My favorite movies, films, television etc are all stuff I grew up with. It's inevitable, I think, that we all eventually say 'kids these days'. Someday the kids'll be saying 'I can't relate to those films from the 2000's.

Only advice I can give is that some stuff is worth the effort.

I can see that. The first time I saw it I wasn't all that taken with it either. I was probably in my late teens, early 20's.

I got curious about Kubrick after I watched Eyes Wide Shut and started paying attention to all of the hullabaloo around symbolism in The Shining.

Anyway, saw it Alamo Drafthouse a few months back (again) and was really able to catch on the symbolism in the film. It's quite genius if you're trying to pick up on stuff while watching. Who knows, maybe Kubrick kept the pace slow to allow time for reflection.

Very artistic endeavor IMO.

@ Opie,
I have a sort of loose theory that we are somewhat a product of our times. My favorite movies, films, television etc are all stuff I grew up with. It's inevitable, I think, that we all eventually say 'kids these days'. Someday the kids'll be saying 'I can't relate to those films from the 2000's.

Only advice I can give is that some stuff is worth the effort.
I was one of those people who also did not like 2001 when I was younger. I liked some of the spaceship FX, but that was about it. I absolutely could not stand Bowman's psychedelic "trip" sequence. I even read the book in high school.

But as I've rewatched it (usually about once a decade), I've gained a much greater appreciation for it. I even sat through the entire psychedelic trip on last viewing (and without any drugs!). It is a masterful work of art, and needs to be viewed that way. If you go in with a desire for Star Wars type action & adventure (what I was usually looking for in a movie when I was young) you'll be disappointed. 2001 is true Science Fiction.

I've even gotten over the ambiguity (and I'm still often annoyed by ambiguity in movies - I do like a good explanation, and the more startling yet logical, the better.)

Speaking of Kubrick movies, one of my all time favorites is Paths of Glory.

"I apologize... for not being entirely honest with you. I apologize for not revealing my true feelings. I apologize, sir, for not telling you sooner that you're a degenerate, sadistic old man. And you can go to HELL before I apologize to you now or ever again!"

I have a sort of loose theory that we are somewhat a product of our times. My favorite movies, films, television etc are all stuff I grew up with...
For me I love the films of a generation or two before my time....60s,50s,40s,30s, when I watch one of those films it's like I have a time machine telescope that allows me to look in on the distant past. I was a kid in the 70s and that is the decade I have the least connection to in film.

Hello. I really wanted to watch older movies, I have but barely made an impact with me. I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey and Alien recently, and I was not that satisfied as how should I be. I mean it's genius. But no excitement from me. Maybe because of the modern films, who made their plot cliche-ish. I tried so hard to watch classics and act like its fresh to me, but still no. How can I watch them if thats the situation? Some tips?
Maybe try some Noir's or suspense films? I'm 18 and I view films completely different to the way I did around 2 years ago now.I guess I started with well known modern directors like Tarantino, then started watching highly rated popular films like The Godfather. Try maybe Chinatown or The Shining. (both with Jack Nicholson and think I saw you liked One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest) Maybe watch Psycho and Vertigo, they're brilliant films by Hitchcock. Maybe try Citizen Kane? I'll be very surprised if you don't like that. The only thing I can think of to say apart from recommending films I love is don't watch a film because of it's reputation, have a look at the plot and type of film, watch films you think you'll definitely like then slowly expand your film watching to all sorts of films. I know if I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey about two years ago, I would of hated it so much, but now I watch films in a completely different way and it's one of my top 10 films.

Im not sure when a movie is called classic. I see movies as classics when those movies were from at least 20 years ago and still make impact to audiences. Those movies that're considered masterpieces and one of the best of their era. Actually, I searched/browsed about its definition, but there are no exact answer, it depends on how you define 'classic movie'.

Guys thanks for your suggestions, I'll try them.

I have replayed One Who Flew Over the Cockoo's Nest a while ago. It's better than the last time I saw it. It inspired me to watch older movies. I found and would watch these following movies from 70's:

-Annie Hall
-Taxi Driver
-The French Connection
-The Deer Hunter
-The Conversation
-Kramer vs Kramer

“Hell will hold no surprises for you.”
Oldest movie I love is Nosferatu (1922) and I love movies from every decade. But I probably love more really old ones than recent ones.

All time favorites from the really old eras would be Casablanca, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Wizard of Oz and The Maltese Falcon.