Oscars to pre-tape eight awards this year

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Did they not have original score before? I can't remember as I didn't pay much attention to the awards.

I don't like that idea at all. It seems kind of insulting to the nominees in those categories.
It sounds to me like they are saying "Oh, you're not important enough to present live."

Did they not have original score before? I can't remember as I didn't pay much attention to the awards.
They've had it a very long time, I mean that I'm surprised to find that's one of the ones that'll get the pre-taped treatment. I'm not surprised that they don't expect Best Live Short Film or Best Sound to be interesting to most prospective viewers, but score seems like one of the more accessible ones.

I don't like that idea at all. It seems kind of insulting to the nominees in those categories.
It sounds to me like they are saying "Oh, you're not important enough to present live."
Oh, that is precisely what they're saying. Or I guess, to be charitable, "not enough people are interested in you." Which might be true, but it's just another example of the Oscars trying to have it both ways.

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I can't sanction this buffoonery either. It'd be bad enough if it was just a matter of whittling down the ceremony's runtime but it seems at least as likely that they'll fill in the gaps with unwatchable nonsense.

A system of cells interlinked
Yeah, I can't sanction this buffoonery either. It'd be bad enough if it was just a matter of whittling down the ceremony's runtime but it seems at least as likely that they'll fill in the gaps with unwatchable nonsense.
Extremely high percentage this happens.

Yep. I can't really get mad at the idea that millions of people aren't interested in Best Documentary Short (Live Action). That's a niche interest and probably always will be, and that's fine. I'd rather they ditch the mass appeal stuff (especially since that ship seems to be sailing anyway), but I understand why they'd want a streamlined broadcast with a higher percentage of awards that a large group of people are interested in and can't get too worked up about that. If that's what they were going to do.

But as Iro says, that's not what's going to happen: they're going to "cut the fat" from the broadcast and then liposuction different fat in its place.

The Emmys have been doing it for years...I know they pre-tape the awards for Oustanding Guest Appearance in Comedy and Drama.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
One day it will be on some streaming +

The only affiliation I have with it is coming to the chat every single year. Even if its just for a few minutes to keep the streak going.

Oscars: Academy Infighting Mounting Over Categories Controversy (Exclusive)

Ever since that story broke, many Academy members and ‘Film Twitter’ tweeters have relentlessly slammed the organization — in particular, its board, as well as outgoing CEO Dawn Hudson — for what they regard as disrespectful treatment of the practitioners of the affected crafts. Meanwhile, the Academy’s defenders have called on such critics to wait until they see the new format (which appears to be modeled after the one employed for some categories on the Tonys telecast) in practice before hardening their opinion, while also noting that the organization derives almost all of its operating revenue from the deal with ABC, and if the general public continues to flee the telecast the organization will face an existential threat — in other words, that it was necessary to amputate a limb in order to save a patient.