Best Marx Brothers Movie

Tools    

What is the best Marx Brother's Movie? I haven't seen any of there movies in a long time, but I think that Duck Soup was probably their funniset one.

Maybe I should change this to: who is your favorite Marx Brother?

Didn't see it.
I never really got into the Marx brothers. Maybe I haven't watched enough of the really great movies they made.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I like Duck Soup too, although I tend to remember individual jokes from different Marx Brothers movies. For instance, from "A Night at the Opera," I adore the scene where they're tearing up the contract section by section. The back-and-forth banter is usually the best part of any Marx Brothers movie.

I also always loved the joke (can't remember which movie) where Groucho says, "Oh yeah, I'll show him a thing or two ... or three. I'll show him a thing or three."

His timing for a running gag of jokes is always impeccable. I don't think there's a Marx Brothers movie I won't go outta my way to watch.

Linda

Duck Soup - hands down. Duck Feathers was okay, Night at the Opera was hillarious, but Duck Soup should have, in my opinion, be named #1 on AFI's Top 100 Funniest Movies of All-Time list. I wish I could go back and see it again for the first time.

As for my favorite - it has to be Groucho. 5-6 years ago I would've said Harpo, but not anymore.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
For some strange reason, I liked Horse Feathers better than Duck Soup. The comedy in it was just more funny to me. But Duck Soup has its good laughs as well.

I used to like both Horse Feathers and Monkey Business more than Duck Soup, but after I started to watch them over and over, Duck Soup soon became my favourite.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I have one tape with all of the following in order: Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers and Duck Soup. It's great, especially the last two. I put Horse Feathers in my Top 100 over Duck Soup more because everybody seems to love Duck Soup but many people have never watched Horse Feathers.

Whenever I feel really bad or think that maybe even my life sucks, I put on Horse Feathers and Duck Soup and just laugh until I cry. I do think that if every child watched the final five minutes of Duck Soup every year in school that there would be no wars.

Duck Soup is literally non-stop lawl. Utter masterpiece.

Whenever I feel really bad or think that maybe even my life sucks, I put on Horse Feathers and Duck Soup and just laugh until I cry.
I just sit on the edge of my bed and stroke a revolver.

I do think that if every child watched the final five minutes of Duck Soup every year in school that there would be no wars.
Absolutely agreed. But if we can't even get every child across the country to watch Barack Obama speak about education for five minutes like we tried a few months ago, we're never going to pull off showing a film by a guy named Marx.

Semper Fooey
I know it's a minority opinion, but I think Duck Soup has some awkward moments and feels a little too stage bound. Leo McCarey, who was the supervising producer for many years at Hal Roach and was instrumental in moving the studio's pacing from the frantic Mack Sennet style and more into the deliberate pacing of Laurel and Hardy, who became Roaches' biggest stars, seemed more comfortable directing Harpo (McCarey personally created the lemonade stand routine on the set and cast Laurel and Hardy nemesis Edgar Kennedy to do the same for Harpo) than he did Groucho. And Groucho's dialogue isn't as sharp as in Horse Feathers with famous humorist S.J Perelman supplying some of it.

I prefer Horse Feathers. Even Zeppo is funny in that one and I'd rather look at Thelma Todd than Margaret Dumont.

I have one tape with all of the following in order: Animal Crackers, Monkey Business, Horse Feathers and Duck Soup.
Sounds like a few hours of some good watching.

I just sit on the edge of my bed and stroke a revolver.
Now that's funny.

Oh, and it's Duck Soup for me.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Unregistered Illegal User
Looks like almost everybody agrees on Duck Soup , i love it too. I also like
The Big Store
A Night at the Opera
A Day at the Races
Go West

Grill me, I dare you!
My Reviews

My favorite Marx Brothers film is whichever one I'm watching at the moment! There's not a bad one in the bunch.

Put me in your pocket...
I'd rather look at Thelma Todd than Margaret Dumont.
Noooo......I love Margaret Dumont. I like them both, but I love Ms. Dumont. She's so perfectly and dramatically sophisticated in a quirky way. She never lets her distinguished air down through all of the boys shenanigans. Love seeing Groucho make her smile.

As far as my favorite... I love A Day at the Races and A Night at the Opera equally. They both have parts that just make be laugh out loud.

Next would be HorseFeathers and Room Service.

A Night at the Opera
Duck Soup

Hi Rodney
I'm a new member to this forum.
Currently I have every single Marx Brother movie on VHS.Plus Groucho's solo film "Copacabana".With the possible exception of "A Night At The Opera",critics consider "Duck Soup"to be the Marx Brothers' best film.
However I personally find every one of their films equally hilarious and entertaining.Every thing the Marx'es did is worth viewing.

And Harpo is my favourite Marx brother.