Film (maybe 1960s) involving crossing a desert, a map and a quest

Tools    

details that I can recall:

A couple men from Russia (I think, maybe Soviet) escape the country through some border around Mongolia or maybe Kazikstan area. They end up crossing through the desert until they get to some place where some of them go their separate ways. The main character somehow ends up going on this quest and finds a map of "Egypt before the sands". He somehow joins up with a man who is supposed to be some kind of prince, and they end up going on some quest through the desert and there is a big sandstorm and some of them turn back (I think). The main character ends up going on a separate path from the prince, but they somehow end up meeting each other again when the main character ends up in some kind of spiritual community in some remote and secluded area. The spiritual community can be described as people who blend various traditions into one. There is a point where the map is on the screen and the word "Sarmatia" appears (IIRC).

The film is "old" -- I'm guessing ~1960s

Thanks!

Changed the thread title for you to something hopefully a little more meaningful.

Any idea what language the film was in? Russian?
Do you know if it was in colour or black and white?
Little things like that can sometimes help in the search.

Best wishes for someone being able to help.

Changed the thread title for you to something hopefully a little more meaningful.

Any idea what language the film was in? Russian?
Do you know if it was in colour or black and white?
Little things like that can sometimes help in the search.

Best wishes for someone being able to help.
The film was in colour and English.

Thanks for the help!

found it!

Meetings with Remarkable Men