Doctor Who

Tools    

The bit of music in the coming soon(guest stars) trailer a few posts up, starts from the Amita Suman actress, about 46 seconds in.
Right – I like what he's done with that part. Much more subtle that Murray Gold's offerings.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Am LOVING the new Doctor, new TARDIS, new music.
Very much enjoyed the two-episode intro and yesterday's first proper ep of the new era. Rosa was very moving and I enjoyed the little side bits with our central characters. The villain was a bit of a cardboard cutout, but given the balance with everything else, I didn't feel like we needed a ton of back story on him. Will be interesting to see if they cross paths with him again, though.

Overall, I'm very much liking Chibnail's overall tone and energy. Looking forward to seeing more!

Aww, no Christmas day special episode this year. They have moved it to New Years Day.

This is one thing I look forwards to on Christmas day to watch with the whole family when we are together but not this year, sigh... oh well at least it's something to watch to start the new year off.

Aww, no Christmas day special episode this year. They have moved it to New Years Day.

This is one thing I look forwards to on Christmas day to watch with the whole family when we are together but not this year, sigh... oh well at least it's something to watch to start the new year off.
I can't fault Chibnall's logic though. It's a complete no-brainer that they'll have run out of ideas for Christmas episodes. It still amazes me that they never had a dedicated Christmas special at any point during the classic series, beyond the episode The Feast of Steven, which was really only a tongue-in-cheek romp (I don't remember a Christmas connection apart from the title).

Jodie Whittaker's "I'll be there" Children in Need trailer appearance caught my eye. She's very appealing and I always think of the lad in Attack the Block who, despite being in mortal danger, is slightly happier when he finds out that her character lives in the same building . She looks good in the braces and t-shirt – ditching the coat is like the equivalent of rolling her sleeves up to get the job done .

Oooo, I'd love Alan Cumming's version of King James as a companion travelling with the Doctor! He was just brilliant in tonights episode.
I imagine he would have been good in that role. Did he keep his Scottish accent for it?

A mix, he used mostly an English accent with some of the Scottish accent coming through.
That's interesting because I was thinking about Alec Guinness's voice as Charles I in Cromwell . I remember that being a bit of both, and very austere.

Surprised to read today that Whoopi Goldberg asked the BBC if she could play Doctor Who. My initial query was when – I would think around the time of the 1996 TV Movie after Star Trek: The Next Generation had finished.

According to a BBC advert I've just watched The Macra Terror, broadcast in the Sixties, didn't survive "because nobody recorded it".

This egregiously glosses over the then policy of junking, where programmes that were seen to have outlived their commercial value were recorded over or destroyed.

Back to a male Doctor. New actor to play the Doctor is Ncuti Gatwa:

Humm, rather disappointed with the choice to be honest but will wait and see what he's like as the character.

A new era of Doctor Who is upon us!

Beginning with the new series, DW will be streaming on Disney+ everywhere in the world save for the UK and Ireland. Reportedly, this new deal gives the show a bigger budget while supposedly allowing the BBC to maintain creative control over the show.

I wonder if this makes the Doctor (who can regenerate into any gender) officially a Disney Princess?

Welcome back to the Whoniverse. The new season of “Doctor Who,” starring “Sex Education” breakout Ncuti Gatwa as the Fifteenth Doctor, will premiere on May 10.

The new installment will be the first-ever to launch on Disney+ and release simultaneously worldwide. The premiere will start on May 10 at 7 p.m. ET in the U.S. and internationally (excluding the U.K.) with Christmas special “The Church on Ruby Road” airing before two brand-new episodes. In the U.K., the season will premiere at midnight GMT on May 11 on BBC iPlayer.

As pictured in new art from the series above, Millie Gibson stars alongside Gatwa as his companion, Ruby Sunday. According to its official description, “This season of ‘Doctor Who’ follows the Doctor and Ruby Sunday through infinite adventures across time and space in the TARDIS. From the Regency era in England to war-torn futures, the duo champion the forces of good while encountering incredible friends and dangerous foes.” A new trailer for the season will debut on March 22.

Russell T Davies makes his return to “Doctor Who” this season as showrunner, executive producer and writer. “At last, it’s my great delight to unleash a whole new season of the Doctor and Ruby’s adventures together,” he said in a statement. “Monsters! Chases! Villains! Mysteries! And a terrifying secret that’s been spanning time and space for decades. Don’t miss a second!”

Additional cast includes Aneurin Barnard, Anita Dobson, Yasmin Finney, Michelle Greenidge, Jonathan Groff, Bonnie Langford, Genesis Lynea, Jemma Redgrave, Lenny Rush, Indira Varma and Angela Wynter.

“Doctor Who” is produced by Bad Wolf with BBC Studios for Disney Branded Television and BBC. Executive producers include Phil Collinson, Joel Collins, Julie Gardner and Jane Tranter. The new season features episodes directed by Ben Chessell, Jamie Donoughue, Julie Anne Robinson and Dylan Holmes Williams.

Looks like the Disney-era DW will be off to a smooth start...

The BBC has “no plans” to use AI again to promote Doctor Who after receiving complaints from viewers.

The BBC’s marketing teams used the tech “as part of a small trial” to help draft some text for two promotional emails and mobile notifications, according to its complaints website, which was intended to highlight Doctor Who programming on the BBC.

But the corporation received complaints over the reports that it was using generative AI, it added.

“We followed all BBC editorial compliance processes and the final text was verified and signed-off by a member of the marketing team before it was sent,” the BBC said. “We have no plans to do this again to promote Doctor Who.”

The BBC didn’t say how many complaints it received but they are likely to be quite few in number.

The decision to stop promoting via generative AI represents a u-turn from BBC Head of Media Inventory David Housden’s attitude to the technology when the marketing push was announced earlier this month.

Housden had said that “generative AI offers a great opportunity to speed up making the extra assets to get more experiments live for more content that we are trying to promote,” and didn’t mention that this would be the only time the BBC uses the technology for Doctor Who promotion.

AI has been a hot button topic in the TV industry of late. In the UK, where Doctor Who is made, producer trade body Pact recently issued principles for the use of AI in UK production.

Over the weekend, OpenAI headed to Hollywood to show the potential of its revolutionary Sora software to studios. The topic also generated much chatter at last week’s Series Mania confab.

Doctor Who will launch in May on the BBC and, for the first time, Disney+. A new trailer was unveiled last week.