The Crow 'Reimagining'

Tools    

Why did you walk out? (Have you ever seen the whole movie?)
I walked out because it was horrible. For me, it was all just too much. Somehow it was cloying ("It can't raid everyday!") and edge-lord dark at the same time. I hated it so much that I used to say that the only good thing about The Crow is that we wouldn't have to watch any more Brandon Lee films.
Walking out was one of the most liberating moments of my life. I'd paid cold hard cash, so I was implicitly committed. Finally, I realized my time was more valuable so I snuck in to see some other movie. I finally said "No" to having my time wasted.

Still, I understood the aesthetic they were going for and I did like the first Sin City movie despite it being schlocky AF. A realistic and gritty version would be even more pointless than the original.

Maybe I'll have a few cocktails some day and watch the original in its entirety.

I walked out because it was horrible. For me, it was all just too much. Somehow it was cloying ("It can't raid everyday!") and edge-lord dark at the same time. I hated it so much that I used to say that the only good thing about The Crow is that we wouldn't have to watch any more Brandon Lee films.
Walking out was one of the most liberating moments of my life. I'd paid cold hard cash, so I was implicitly committed. Finally, I realized my time was more valuable so I snuck in to see some other movie. I finally said "No" to having my time wasted.

Still, I understood the aesthetic they were going for and I did like the first Sin City movie despite it being schlocky AF. A realistic and gritty version would be even more pointless than the original.

Maybe I'll have a few cocktails some day and watch the original in its entirety.
If you're referring to The Crow (as opposed to Sin City) except for the supernatural aspect, I thought it had a fairly realistic feel (for a comic book movie) and was pretty gritty already.

I got the feeling Nolan's Batman trilogy borrowed some aspects as far as presenting a more realistic feeling environment for a superhero movie.

I understand you hated it, and I could see disliking the first 15 minutes or so, but it does get better as it moves along - the action scenes are explosive, it's violent as all heck, but it's so satisfying as a revenge story (up there with Mad Max, Death Wish and Robocop).

So my question is: did you ever give it a chance and see the whole thing or just decided you hated it, walked out and determined it was an awful movie based on whatever beginning part you saw of it?

So my question is: did you ever give it a chance and see the whole thing or just decided you hated it, walked out and determined it was an awful movie based on whatever beginning part you saw of it?

I can only say that in watching pieces of it on rerun cable over the decades my opinion has never changed. I've watched at least 30 minute stretches of the film. And it just rubs me the wrong way. It's kind of excessive and incompetent at the same time, kind of like melodrama without the fun.

I did like one line from the movie - "My father's last words were, 'Son be careful with that. It's loaded!'" - was amusing and established the bad guy's credentials.

This isn't to say that I don't think that it couldn't be done well. It could be redone and redone well, but in 2022 I shudder to think of the modern moralizing which would accompany it.

I can only say that in watching pieces of it on rerun cable over the decades my opinion has never changed. I've watched at least 30 minute stretches of the film. And it just rubs me the wrong way. It's kind of excessive and incompetent at the same time, kind of like melodrama without the fun.

I did like one line from the movie - "My father's last words were, 'Son be careful with that. It's loaded!'" - was amusing and established the bad guy's credentials.

This isn't to say that I don't think that it couldn't be done well. It could be redone and redone well, but in 2022 I shudder to think of the modern moralizing which would accompany it.
Fair enough. And I agree about a remake.

I'm always amazed when people I have things in common with (i.e. some movies & topics we agree on) just can't stand certain movies I really like.

I'm still trying to convince @Citizen Rules what a great movie 12 Angry Men is... but he despises it! (And he didn't think Airplane! was funny at all.)

And although I can pretty much understand all his criticisms and reasons, if I find 12 Angry Men playing on non-commercial TV, I still can't help watching it because it just grabs me every time.

Fair enough. And I agree about a remake.

I'm always amazed when people I have things in common with (i.e. some movies & topics we agree on) just can't stand certain movies I really like.

I'm still trying to convince @Citizen Rules what a great movie 12 Angry Men is... but he despises it! (And he didn't think Airplane! was funny at all.)

And although I can pretty much understand all his criticisms and reasons, if I find 12 Angry Men playing on non-commercial TV, I still can't help watching it because it just grabs me every time.

Well, we agree about those two films.

Why did you walk out? (Have you ever seen the whole movie?)

I ask this because The Crow had so many things I dislike about comic-based movies (which might have made me WANT to walk out), yet I still loved it anyway.

I've always disliked supernatural-based superheroes.
I don't care for mime make-up.
I really despise movies with a nearly mono-chromatic color scheme.
I don't like when movies are mostly dark throughout.
I'm not big on ghost stories (or ghost heroes).
Bird spirit guides? Meh!
Cliché Cops saying and doing all the cliché cop things.
The guy from The Warriors NOT doing the "Warriors... come out to play-yay!" thing.

Despite all that I loved The Crow!

wait i did saw something ages ago that they gonna remake the warriors i dont know if its a rumor or true tho

Welcome to the human race...
I remember the word going around that Tony Scott was going to remake The Warriors but I haven't heard anything about it since he died so I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
I remember the word going around that Tony Scott was going to remake The Warriors but I haven't heard anything about it since he died so I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon.
Check this out to see why The Warriors remake is pretty much essentially dead:
https://blackgirlnerds.com/warriors-...were-promised/

Yeah not a fan of this news. But, it's not as bad as the news that Micheal Bay is looking to 'Reimagine' the Raid movie.