Favorite Post-Classic Westerns

Tools    

Besides the hilarious discussion on "10 great films" why is there such a harsh scrutiny of genres? Genres were invented to create boundaries, why enable that?
I don't know what you mean by a harsh scrutiny of genres?
I don't think that they were invented to create boundaries but rather to make it eassier to classify and categorize movies that were generaly similiar in theme. Those boundaries sometimes still cross over.

You spent like 2 pages arguing about whether or not something was in the action/dark english genres when you could have discussed the actual movie instead. I'll rephrase, they weren't intentionally creating boundaries with genres, but it was the inevitable product.

You spent like 2 pages arguing about whether or not something was in the action/dark english genres when you could have discussed the actual movie instead. I'll rephrase, they weren't intentionally creating boundaries with genres, but it was the inevitable product.
You must have the wrong guy. I don't have an action/dark English genre.
I did list Dead Man's Shoes in my Dark, Twisted and Quircky movie list and later said it could also be action and was asked to explain. So I said that there was a bunch of shooting in the movie and is shooting not action? Besides, I've tried to expand the genres by adding sub-genres to make more simplified referencing. I was surprised at the reaction for Dead Man's Shoes, afterall it's not like I tried to put Shakespeare In Love in the action category.
Anyway, ARGUE, who me????

P.S. sice we are now buddies, just for you I will make my special action list that will leave no doubt. Enjoy!

Django Unchained is up there now.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Maybe someone will shoot me for reviving this thread, but I think the thread is hilarious. The debate over people's top ten lists was very entertaining. I enjoyed reading various perspectives, but the misunderstandings and logical fallacies were pretty amusing too.

I do think it's weird when I see people who consider themselves movie buffs and have a whole bunch of mainstream movies of questionable quality on their top ten lists. But it's also funny when people think they are experts because they've watched a lot of movies or done film studies and criticise other people's taste but their own top ten list is equally questionable, though maybe from a different point of view.

I originally came into this thread though because I'm looking for Westerns.

And then there's you, Zotis, who don't even have a top ten list to critique. How am I to know what kind of person you are?

I also find it funny how what's his face makes all these strange claims about what movies belong in what categories, but considers Urban Cowboy a western. What ever happened to that guy? His entertainment value was extra-ordinary.

(And I do know what happened to him, I was being funny. He's on a secret mission in Asia, sleeping with hot chicks and protecting our freedoms!)

Welcome to the human race...
Putting movies in ordered lists is for chumps, anyway.

Besides, can any movie set in England (or any of the British Isles for that matter) actually be a Western?

Putting movies in ordered lists is for chumps, anyway.

Besides, can any movie set in England (or any of the British Isles for that matter) actually be a Western?
Maybe if it's about an American cowboy who goes to the UK?

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Why not? If there are Osterns and Meat Pie westerns and there is a Mango Western, why not a Tea'n'Marmalade Western?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Meh, labels are a product of invention anyway. I say it's all good so long as you define your terms.

So I watched Meek's Cutoff last night. I don't know if it's a Western. It's got the setting, but no action or adventure elements. I guess it's a Western, just not a Spaghetti Western?

And Soldier Blue is from 1970. I love that movie. When did the "classical" era end?

Maybe someone will shoot me for reviving this thread, but I think the thread is hilarious. The debate over people's top ten lists was very entertaining. I enjoyed reading various perspectives, but the misunderstandings and logical fallacies were pretty amusing too.

I do think it's weird when I see people who consider themselves movie buffs and have a whole bunch of mainstream movies of questionable quality on their top ten lists. But it's also funny when people think they are experts because they've watched a lot of movies or done film studies and criticise other people's taste but their own top ten list is equally questionable, though maybe from a different point of view.

I originally came into this thread though because I'm looking for Westerns.
From what I remember from your top 100 there were quite a few mainstream films and it wasn't particularly "out there". Put a top ten up yourself. Who are your favourite directors? Also you seem to think that just because a film is non-mainstream or different, more "artistic" it is good.

Zotis what did you think of Meek's Cutoff?
I was planning to do a write up later tonight, but I loved the atmosphere, tension, cinematography, acting, writing, and pacing. I think I could notice some interesting directing choices, but to be honest I don't know how much I really understand about directing. I loved the ending and how they kept me guessing and never really did anything I was expecting. Also, I adore Michelle Williams. Her approach to acting is THE ideal. Some actors go to great lengths getting into character once or twice in their career when they're young and passionate, before the industry changes them and it's their best work. Michelle does it so consistently it's incredible.

I was planning to do a write up later tonight, but I loved the atmosphere, tension, cinematography, acting, writing, and pacing. I think I could notice some interesting directing choices, but to be honest I don't know how much I really understand about directing. I loved the ending and how they kept me guessing and never really did anything I was expecting. Also, I adore Michelle Williams. Her approach to acting is THE ideal. Some actors go to great lengths getting into character once or twice in their career when they're young and passionate, before the industry changes them and it's their best work. Michelle does it so consistently it's incredible.
Glad to hear it, I think highly of Meek's Cutoff. Many people would think it's boring, but I felt like it was an honest moment in time...not done 'big' but done honestly.