Kubrick's Best?

Tools    

Are we counting Spartacus as a Kubrick film?
is there a reason we shouldn't?

2001 has all the elements that showed the genius of Kubrick. Artistically beautiful and innovative, complex and challenging at the same time leaving the audience several interpretations. It's a unique and unforgettable cinematic experience.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Personally I have to go with "The Shining".

What I love about Kubrick films is that every time you watch them, you notice something new, especially with his later films. My favorite would have to be the Shining, but Eyes Wide Shut and Clockwork are right behind.

I've only seen 3:

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. 2001

I love the first, like the second, and disappointed by the third.

I've only seen 3:

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. 2001

You should watch it again. I didn't like it the first time myself. Neither did Woody Allen (you should search for this interview; his honesty is refreshing)

I think this is something specific to Kubrick's films. It happened for me with The Shining, also.

Spartacus

Because it was the film that introduced me to Kubrick.

I know it was the big hollywood production with all the big names but it stands out against all the other biblical style epics of the time with a lot more depth and a fantastic support cast. Peter Ustinov and Charles Laughton both great in this
In comparison to the cgi drenched ott sword and sandal movies today its much more believable and with more heart.
Perhaps wouldn't argue that its the best, but its my favourite.

I've only seen 3:

1. A Clockwork Orange
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. 2001

Well, that depends from person to person, but for me, 2001 was the single most powerful film I have ever watched up to the point in time when I watched it the first time. I remember that I barely slept that night and when I came to college the next day, I was in the saying: "I... Watched.... 2001.... yesterday .... !!". It was almost a transcendental religious experience.

My ranking of my top 10 Kubrick's films would be as follows:

1 - 2001
2 - Barry Lyndon
3 - Dr. Strangelove
4 - A Clockwork Orange
5 - Paths of Glory
6 - The Shining
7 - Full Metal Jacket
8 - Eyes Wide Shut
9 - The Killing
10 - Spartacus

I still need to watch a few of his films (Lolita, Killer's Kiss). But overall, all movies I watched from him are pure gold. Indeed, one of the top 4-5 best directors ever.

Just a note to, Nausicaä and others who express some concern, in various ways, about my posts. I am a writer and author, poet and publisher, editor and researcher, online blogger and journalist, scholar and reader.

I post at over 8000 sites and spread my writing far and wide. At some sites, like this one, I just drop in occasionally. If I replied to all the posts I receive across cyberspace, I'd never write and publish. Here is my website FYI at: http://www.ronpriceepoch.com/

How I rank the works of Kubrick I have seen

1 - Dr. Strangelove
2 - 2001
3 - The Shining
4 - Full Metal Jacket
5 - The Killing
6 - A Clockwork Orange
7 - Paths of Glory
8 - Lolita
9 - Barry Lyndon
10 - Killer's Kiss
11 - Eyes Wide Shut
12 - Spartacus

Have not seen Fear and Desire yet

For what i've seen I rank it like that

1. Clockwork Orange
2. Dr.Strangelove
3. The Shining
4. Paths of Glory

5. The Killing
6. Full Metal Jacket
7. 2001 (i'll rewatch it and probably like it more, but for now I hate it)

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Why do you hate 2001? It's the best out of the ones you listed.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

1) 2001
2) The Shining
3) Eyes Wide Shut
4) A Clockwork Orange
5) Full Metal Jacket
6) Lolita
7) Dr. Strangelove
8) Barry Lyndon

Come on, who doesn't love this guy?

You know when some people say to others, "you ought to get out more"?. "I ought to see more Kubrick", is what I say to myself.

So far I have seen 2001, which I think is great, and The Shining, which was quite good. I have to see all of his movies this summer though, no excuses.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Seen some trv arthouse lovers that didn't like Kubrick.

Sometimes you just confuse the most known movies with the best. Asking Kubrick's best is like asking Tarantino's best. For instance, his masterpiece may be Clockwork or Shining, or even 2001, but if you are choosing the best of him, you can say Eyes Wide Shut, Full Metal Jacket or Dr. Strangelove. In my opinion, his best is Clockwork, because of the visionary element of the film, a really innovator movie. But i accept and understand any of your choices because, let's be honest, Kubrick's movies will never be bad or irrelevant