Favorite Japanese Movies

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I wasn't really thinking anime, but Departures is a start.
Departures isn't an anime, and you've just potentially put yourself in the line of fire for Guapo Guaporensington III. David Bordwell has praised Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Shokuzai, but it seems we won't have that in the U.S. anytime soon, it's not even listed on Wikipedia. Unfortunately, Like Father, Like Son, the new film from Koreeda Hirokazu (from the brilliant Still Walking and Maborosi, both made in the awareness of Ozu) is perhaps his worst film yet, and was my most anticipated film from Japan this year.

Departures isn't an anime, and you've just potentially put yourself in the line of fire for Guapo Guaporensington III. David Bordwell has praised Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Shokuzai, but it seems we won't have that in the U.S. anytime soon, it's not even listed on Wikipedia. Unfortunately, Like Father, Like Son, the new film from Koreeda Hirokazu (from the brilliant Still Walking and Maborosi, both made in the awareness of Ozu) is perhaps his worst film yet, and was my most anticipated film from Japan this year.
Ok, if you want to get technical, I was thinking of the 2000 anime and not the 2008 Jojiro Takita movie. I did previously ask for a 2013 movie, so I don't even know why Departures was brought up.

I really need to get into Japanese films. I might have to browse through this list, slowly getting through the films. I have only really been introduced to the animations.
Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, and I lovelovelove Advent Children [Final Fantasy].

1. Late Spring (1949) - Ozu
2. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) - Takahata
3. Dolls (2002) - Kitano
4. Confessions (2010) - Nakashima
5. Whisper of the Heart (1995) - Kondo
6. All About Lily Chou-Chou (2001) - Iwai
7. Early Summer (1952) - Ozu
8. My Neighbour Totoro (1988) - Miyazaki
9. Hana-bi (1997) - Kitano
10. Memories of Matsuko (2006) - Nakashima
11. Sansho the Bailiff (1954) - Mizoguchi
12. Tokyo Story (1953) - Ozu
13. The Face of Another (1966) - Teshigahara
14. Ponyo (2008) - Miyazaki
15. Ballad of Narayama (1983) - Imamura
16. Woman in the Dunes (1964) - Teshigahara
17. Floating Weeds (1959) - Ozu
18. Seven Samurai (1954) - Kurosawa
19. From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) - G. Miyazaki
20. After the Rain (1999) - Koizumi
21. Zatoichi (2003) - Kitano
22. Ran (1985) - Kurosawa
23. 13 Assassins (2011) - Miike
24. Sonatine (1993) - Kitano
25. Audition (1999) - Miike

My favorite is definitely Seven Samurai.

My dad always uses this duel scene to explain technique in his classes. He says that most people can't tell how or why the man left standing won but when you do ... your on the right path.