"Thank God"

Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Yoda
Why? There's a whole commandment telling you not to. Obviously sin isn't going to be completely avoided, but your Christianity is nothing more than lip service if you casually shrug off your sins, or fail to even think of them as sins at all.

Uh, because if being offended by something were cause enough to stay away from it, we'd all be hermits.
You're right, there is indeed a commandment about not taking God's name in vain. But saying "thank God" about something when you're expressing sincere thankfulness for it isn't taking His name in vain. And berating a person for USING the word "God", simply because their definition of the term differs from hers, was hardly "christian".

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
You're right, there is indeed a commandment about not taking God's name in vain. But saying "thank God" about something when you're expressing sincere thankfulness for it isn't taking His name in vain. And berating a person for USING the word "God", simply because their definition of the term differs from hers, was hardly "christian".
I don't really disagree, but what I said wasn't meant to address that topic at all; just Nitzer's comments.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is that she says "you've never been one to make sense." Do you know her that well?

Originally Posted by Garrett
The part that doesn't make sense to me is that she says "you've never been one to make sense." Do you know her that well?
No, I don't know her all that well. We've disagreed on several topics, but I've always given her credit for understanding me, even if she totally disagreed.

Originally Posted by Sedai
It should have the name of the person posted next to the rep.

And now, a note to any folks who ever find themsleves offended.

If you are the type of person that doesn't like being offended, then I suggest getting on a boat, and hittin the open waves for some nice quiet time. Or try these ultra bizarre solutions to some common offenders:

If something on TV offends you, turn it off.
If something on the radio offends you, turn it off and stop exposing yourself to it.
If something on a website offends you, close your browser.

Now, if you would like other people to change their habits or the way they articulate themsleves, you should take a nice long walk on a short pier OR GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. This country and this planet are not here follow along with your way of life.

Don't like that?

TOUGH *****.

Sammy getting rep from me.
i agree with you...too many people take offense to little tiny things...my advice don't sweat the small stuff...there's too many serious things happening in the world

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
"perplexing how people who don't believe in God still find our saying "thank you" to Him an appropriate way to express gratitude. Although, you've never been one to make sense."
It almost sounds like she was looking for an excuse to give you bad rep Sammy. The dig sounds personal.

By the way...you've always made perfect sense to me.

Originally Posted by Aniko
It almost sounds like she was looking for an excuse to give you bad rep Sammy. The dig sounds personal.

By the way...you've always made perfect sense to me.
Yeah, could easily be. I thought the thought processes behind the silliness were sort of interesting, regardless of her intent. :: But it's been suggested that I think too much.

And thanks, my dear.

I think I might know who it is, not that it matters.

Lets put a smile on that block
Oh for Gods sake...

(By the by, i am referring to the God of femininity, The Holy Dame.)

I just know they're coming to kill me.
What about certain clothing stores saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"? That got me angry. Would you say that would have to affiliate with God?

Originally Posted by MovieMaker5087
What about certain clothing stores saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"? That got me angry. Would you say that would have to affiliate with God?
Well, Christmas is supposed to be about the birth of Christ. But since it's really about Santa Claus now, I guess saying "Merry Christmas" at a clothes store doesn't matter.

My life isn't written very well.
"Thanking God" is no longer a religious sentiment! It has become a commercial way of expressing something everyone can relate to. "Thank God it's Friday", "Thank God my check didn't bounce!" Let's face it, God is no longer someone we praise of miracles, God is something we use to communicate how we feel when something goes our way.

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

not everyone celebrates christmas...anyway, i think it should be left to the individuals companies to decide what they want to do...i do believe that each saying is appropriate...

Maybe those stores are owned by Jews? Or Buddhists? Or Muslims?
Why get angry over someone believing differently than you do?

Personally, I wish everyone would shut up about whether or not stores have shirts that have "Happy Holidays" or "Merry Christmas". Aren't there more important things to argue about?

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Yeah, we could be arguing about those "Jesus is my homeboy" T-shirts!!!! THEIR A SCOURGE I TELLS YA, A PLAUGE!!!!

You ready? You look ready.
Haha, man. I just found this through the rep system and all I could do was just keep laughing. "If deviousness is also incompatible with theism, then [Insert Name Here] qualifies as a 'practical atheist.'" It really does make me laugh. I still love ya Samsonite. Even if you are a hooligan.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by John McClane
Haha, man. I just found this through the rep system and all I could do was just keep laughing. "If deviousness is also incompatible with theism, then [Insert Name Here] qualifies as a 'practical atheist.'" It really does make me laugh. I still love ya Samsonite. Even if you are a hooligan.
heh... you're not the first to call me that.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Originally Posted by r3port3r66
"Thanking God" is no longer a religious sentiment! It has become a commercial way of expressing something everyone can relate to. "Thank God it's Friday", "Thank God my check didn't bounce!" Let's face it, God is no longer someone we praise of miracles, God is something we use to communicate how we feel when something goes our way.
r3, I'm fairly certain you don't mean that to be as global and all-encompassing a statement as it sounds. Because some of us DO praise God specifically and personally for miracles. Some of us DO worship Him and pray to Him in a deliberate way daily.

It's not all that weird to be that way, either. Not yet anyway.