The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in 2004?

Tools    

Source: The Digital Bits Wednesday, September 17, 2003
The Digital Bits reports that Lucasfilm may be releasing the Star Wars trilogy on DVD next year to build buzz for the release of Star Wars: Episode III in May, 2005.

We've heard from a number of industry sources we trust (and who have proven their reliability in the past) in the last few weeks. They're reporting that Lucasfilm is seriously considering releasing the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD late next year. In fact, our information indicates that some work is already under way toward a 4th Qtr, 2004 release. Word is that Lucasfilm is pleased with the format of The Adventures of Indiana Jones: The Complete DVD Movie Collection they're releasing on 10/21 in conjunction with Paramount - so pleased, in fact, that they're planning to use the same format to release the classic Star Wars films. This would presumably mean a 4-disc set, with a disc for each film and a fourth disc of special edition materials for all three films. It would certainly make sense. First, it would be a great way to get a buzz going into early 2005, when the final film, Episode III, is set to arrive in theaters.

Well, not quite the "original classic films", but rather the so-called Special Editions released in the late '90s.

I'll stick with my LaserDiscs, thanks.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Well, not quite the "original classic films", but rather the so-called Special Editions released in the late '90s.

Maybe I misread. Though I have the original on DVD so it doesn't bother me .

bright lights bright lights!
It's about time they were released on dvd. I'd read so many times there were no plans to release them. I've seen them selling on ebay on vcd format but apparently the quality isn't as good.

Personally I can't wait

Leon: "Always like this"

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

I agree here. I really do think the original films needed some touch ups as far as quality was concerned, remastering etc.. I also wanted to see the films without those damn boxes around the ships. Unfortunately, they left the boxes around the ships, and added a bunch of eye candy to what I thought were excellently crafted pieces of film. I'm sorry but adding a ring around the Death Star explosion does not add to the film, adding a bunch of buzzing, goofy creatures to tatooine (which are CLEARLY composited against older film) takes away most of the realism this planet had before. Adding post 2k technology to a group of films from the 70s creates a massive anachronism for me. It takes these films out of their proper time, and skews flow of the original piece. This is the biggest failing of an otherwise fantastic film maker. Lucas caught the cute and fuzzy bug way back in 1983, with those damn log-toting teddy bears. Now he attempts cram virtually endless muppets and digitized characters into his current films, and has ruined a great triliogy with his endless tinkering of the visual elements of his films. To me it is obvious he has lost focus on the characters and ideas that originaly were the catalyst for the stories.

And me with no laser discs...meh.

_S

Yay!!
About Time!

This news is most welcome indeed, the original trilogy still remains my favourite movies ever.

Originally Posted by jrs
The Star Wars Trilogy (althogh special editions) will be on DVD this September 21st.

Here is what they will look like...........
Will multiple box styles like this be released here in the states? I like the Jedi style boxes the best methinks....

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Those boxes look awesome

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

Originally Posted by jrs
The Star Wars Trilogy (althogh special editions) will be on DVD this September 21st.

Here is what they will look like...........

The previous link does not work due to alterations of cover art.

Here is the OFFICIAL artwork for the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD ... full screen on left and widescreen on right:
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	starwarsboxfull3d.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	2607   Click image for larger version

Name:	starwarsboxwide3d.jpg
Views:	2216
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	2608  

I was really hoping to have a choice in cover art, but alas, it appears the other artwork was for the different regions, from what I can tell. Amazon UK has the Rebel/Jedi artwork, and for some reason, America gets the box with art concerning a mechanistic nightmare Empire......

_S

the new trilogy box set will include the special editions of all the films, althought lucasfilm is in fact updating the computer generated characters and animal in the films because technology has advanced since 1997 so hopefully this will make the computer effects less obvious and help to add to the film. also in a rare occurence of lucas actually listening to his fans, han solo will in fact be shooting first once again in the cantina scene in a new hope.

Arthur: If I asked you where the hell we were, would I regret it?
Ford: We're safe.
Arthur: Oh good.
Ford: We're in a small galley cabin in one of the spaceships of the Vogon Constructor Fleet.
Arthur: Ah, this is obviously some strange use of the word safe that I wasn't previously aware of.

Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless
also in a rare occurence of lucas actually listening to his fans, han solo will in fact be shooting first once again in the cantina scene in a new hope.
So says the rumor. I am up in the air about this, as it can be looked at both ways as far as establishing Han's character...

From one angle we can see Han as a true scumbag or even a murderer, if he just decides to shoot Greedo for no reason other than to shorten the conversation. A character who would do this wouldn't have conducted themselves as Han did for the rest of the series, so if this is the intent, shame on George, as I feel this drop kicks Han's character into the toilet, removing all of his integrity in one fell swoop.

One could also argue that Han was just defending himself and was just a fast draw, beating Greedo at his own game. This could give Han a cowboy-like twist to his character, but I would still have Greedo shoot (and miss) first to carry the self defense idea through....

But, if Greedo shoots first, this shows that even though Han attempts a gruff exterior when we first meet him and his large wooly friend, he is really the warm, heroic man whom Han grows into throughout the three films.

I like Greedo shooting first

...in a rare occurence of lucas actually listening to his fans, han solo will in fact be shooting first once again in the cantina scene in a new hope.
To me Han first, Greedo first...whichever one I don't care. I just wish all three "original" films were planned to be released. The special editions completely ruin everything. Even with the so called 'up to date' technology.

Originally Posted by Sedai
But, if Greedo shoots first, this shows that even though Han attempts a gruff exterior when we first meet him and his large wooly friend, he is really the warm, heroic man whom Han grows into throughout the three films.

I like Greedo shooting first
how can you say you liked greedo shooting first? this is how i saw the scene when han shot first.

hans chillin, greedo comes and gives him a hard time, han knows that greedo isn't the brightest bounty hunter in the box, so while he keeps the conversation going to distract greedo, he slips out his gun and shoots greedo before he has the chance to do anything to han, this in my mind set han's character out as the badass he is in the next three films, granted he grows and beco'mes kinder and gentler, but when we meet him he isn't the sweet heroic man that loves princess leia, hes a drug runner for the crime lord jabba the hutt.

besides, why would jabba send a bounty hunter to retreive han that can't even hit a guy sitting across a small table from him?? think about that.

"yeah, i'll bet you have." *BLAM!!!!!!!* ...dead.

sounds way better than

"yeah, ill bet you have" *BAM! miss* ...jump cut *BLAM!!!!!!!* ...dead.

by the way, whos going with which format, widescreen or full screen?
personally im goin wide screen

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Widescreen of course.

how can you say you liked greedo shooting first? this is how i saw the scene when han shot first.

hans chillin, greedo comes and gives him a hard time, han knows that greedo isn't the brightest bounty hunter in the box, so while he keeps the conversation going to distract greedo, he slips out his gun and shoots greedo before he has the chance to do anything to han, this in my mind set han's character out as the badass he is in the next three films, granted he grows and beco'mes kinder and gentler, but when we meet him he isn't the sweet heroic man that loves princess leia, hes a drug runner for the crime lord jabba the hutt.

besides, why would jabba send a bounty hunter to retreive han that can't even hit a guy sitting across a small table from him?? think about that.

"yeah, i'll bet you have." *BLAM!!!!!!!* ...dead.

sounds way better than

"yeah, ill bet you have" *BAM! miss* ...jump cut *BLAM!!!!!!!* ...dead.

Please tell me where in the trilogy we find out Han is a drug dealer. The "spice" he was smuggling was a heavily taxed commodity, not a black market drug, and at no point does anyone mention what it is used for. The idea that this substance is a drug is assumptive and specious. This is never stated anywhere in the films. Han smuggles illegal contraband, which has been deemed illegal by the authoritarian empire. The metaphor Lucas was using here is quite clear to me. Han represents the independant (SOLO) business person trying to stay afloat under totalitarian rule. His actions can be considered heroic in this respect. Far from a scumbag murderer who would shoot first and ask questions later. Also, if I remember correctly, Han is just trying to collect funds to pay off Jabba so he can get out from under his employ. This further reinforces Han's integrity for me, certainly not diminishing it in any way.

You said it yourself, Jabba was a crime lord, exercising his power through blackmail, coercian, and threats. Han is a victim of this manipulation when we first meet him, desperately looking for an out, even if it means taking a lopsided deal from a old kook and a farm boy. In Return of the Jedi, we learn Jabba had captured Han out of fury, as Han had apparently dumped a full load of "cargo" at the first sign of trouble. This is yet another indicator that Han was just not a criminal, and placed little or no value on the contaband. A selfish man, Han definitely was, and a pirate, but I don't see him as cold blooded murderer.

{ED****Doing a little research, I see this spice, Ryll it is called, has been mentioned in post film novels etc. as a medical supply that could be abused as a drug. Apparently Han didn't like the substance and is shown to mostly smuggle weapons and explosives when his history is revealed in these books, which btw, have nothing to do with Lucas's original vision which is all I am concerned with in regards to these films. In other words, if some random author decided Han was a drug dealer, It doesn't make him one, and it certainly doesn't make him a murderer....

PS Widecreen, as pan-and-scan is the devil....

{ED****Doing a little research, I see this spice, Ryll it is called, has been mentioned in post film novels etc. as a medical supply that could be abused as a drug. Apparently Han didn't like the substance and is shown to mostly smuggle weapons and explosives when his history is revealed in these books, which btw, have nothing to do with Lucas's original vision which is all I am concerned with in regards to these films. In other words, if some random author decided Han was a drug dealer, It doesn't make him one, and it certainly doesn't make him a murderer....
I guess i just missed the whole point of Han killing greedo then, because every time i watched the movie i never saw the whole "han shooting greedo" as a murder, it always seemed like a kill or be killed situation. The depth at which you are analysing Star Wars seems so much deeper than even Lucas thought when he wrote the movie. In A New Hope, Han is the shady smuggler who is concerned only with money and watching his own back, if this means he needs to kill to stay alive, then he would do it. He didnt't seem to enjoy killing Greedo, but in the Cantina, where he was, he couldn't show weakness; the same goes for when he talks to Jabba later, he shows no remorse for killing greedo, but thats because if he did Jabba probably would have had him killed right there on the spot. In the movie, you have no idea the history that Han has with Greedo, they seem familiar with each other when they talk, so they obviously previously knew each other, but you dont know if Greedo has been trying to kill Han for a while or what, so there is no reason to think that Han is neccessarily a murderer because he shot first.

ps you didnt address my other concern, which is how could greedo have missed when hes about 3 feet away.