Ten Favorite Criterion Collection Titles?

Tools    

I also read somewhere that Criterion has the rights to most of Edward Yang's filmography. That's something to look forward to, his films need the Criterion treatment. Some of them at least. I can just imagine a nice two disc set of A Brighter Summer Day (probably the best film I've seen this year, or close to). Maybe an Eclipse set of some of his early work.

PN, what have you seen of Hou's?

edit: Julio Medem and Pedro Almodovar have their fair share of faithful fans, and Portugal shouldn't be ignored either seeing as we're on the Iberian Peninsula. Now, off topic.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I drove up to L.A. to watch Spirit of the Beehive in the middle '70s for the first time (about 40 miles). I'd better not tell you what my first impression was. I have seen it another four or five times since though. I still better lay low.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You don't know me as well as you might think. It's much easier to pick and grab in the privacy of your home than to invest the time, money and effort to make an 80-mile round trip. Of course, gas was a lot cheaper back then.

It's much easier to pick and grab in the privacy of your home than to invest the time, money and effort to make an 80-mile round trip.
You could say that again!

I also read somewhere that Criterion has the rights to most of Edward Yang's filmography. That's something to look forward to, his films need the Criterion treatment. Some of them at least. I can just imagine a nice two disc set of A Brighter Summer Day (probably the best film I've seen this year, or close to). Maybe an Eclipse set of some of his early work.

PN, what have you seen of Hou's?

edit: Julio Medem and Pedro Almodovar have their fair share of faithful fans, and Portugal shouldn't be ignored either seeing as we're on the Iberian Peninsula. Now, off topic.
Rumours. It looks like Criterion will not spare a thought for A Brighter Summer Day soon. Goes the same for any Hou movie.

My 10 favourite Criterion releases:

Sansho The Bailiff
Brazil
Spirit of the Beehive
Seven Samurai
Hunger
Secret Sunshine
Yi Yi
Rushmore
Close-up
The Double Life Of Veronique

Robert Ben Garant and Tom Lennon

Dominic Monaghan

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I got the Stagecoach criterion. I still think I need to go back to B&N and get a few more. 50% off seems like a deal. Now its just about picking some good ones.

I got the Stagecoach criterion. I still think I need to go back to B&N and get a few more. 50% off seems like a deal. Now its just about picking some good ones.
Throw a coin in any direction and you'll probably find something worthwhile.

Just saw Videodrome yesterday, and now I'm really tempted to buy the Criterion... it looks so cool...

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Ones I've given some thought to:
39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, The Thin Red Line, The Battle of Algiers, Sweet Smell of Success, The Night of the Hunter. Thus far only seen the latter film.

Oo yes, The Lady Vanishes is a must have.
I heard a lot about the criterion edition. If I didn't own it already in one of my Hitchcock collections then I would've grabbed by now. But I'm not gonna pay 30 bucks just for the special features and a bit better restoration.

Aye. Spanish language film is an empty hole of mystery for me. Have barely seen any. Maybe three. I'm thinking Pans Labyrinth and Y Tu Mama Tambien as well as this one. Nothing else comes to mind AT ALL. Maybe a film in high school Spanish class that I've since forgot (because it was crappy).

Wow, for someone living in a country where Spanish is ALMOST its second language, I've watched no films of that language. This is a travesty.
Random bump but I second this. I definitely am repressed when it comes to Spanish films besides Buñuel and del Toro's Spanish films.

Random bump but I second this. I definitely am repressed when it comes to Spanish films besides Buñuel and del Toro's Spanish films.
I've seen a few films from Argentina. So I guess they are considered Spanish language films as well.