UKRAINE

Tools    

I just want to apologize publicly for this post overrall...i was having some real crazy anxiety issues, and sometimes i get irritated when people get worked up about what's going on in the news.
Why would that irritate you? Why did you change your user name here?

BANNED (at user request)
Why did you change your user name here?
to be honest i never liked the name that much since it relates to twitter...

Why would that irritate you?
Imagine everyone telling you that WW3 is just on the horizon, but then knowing that that's probably not the case. It was a reaction to the unfavorable responses i got in real life when i was telling people not to worry about it. It seems that everyone gets irritated when you worry and complain...i don't want to feel like i need to see this as important when there are military conflicts going on all the time that people just shrug off as being normal.

A lot of the reason that people are upset about this is they are worried about the escalation of the conflict, and while i understand this I think it's fine in any country not to have wars or try to find a solution to all the worlds conflicts. If it helps, this is actually WW3 already just because there are so many parties involved. What you do about it is entirely your choice.

Imagine everyone telling you that WW3 is just on the horizon, but then knowing that that's probably not the case….

…If it helps, this is actually WW3 already just because there are so many parties involved. What you do about it is entirely your choice.
Makes perfect sense to me. Much like how I feel. I was invited by my CEO to speak on a public affairs/stakeholders roundtable panel on the matter (due to my Russian heritage I surmise) yesterday and still haven’t responded as I anticipate something like this thread. Thanks, but no, thanks.

And yes, agreed re WWIII and the hypocrisy. Now imagine if I said something akin to this at the roundtable. Best decline.

Sorry for the delay in response here. I'll be brief(ish):

1) Yes, I do relate remote world events to "our culture" in the sense that I relate them to the global cultural ecosystem as a whole, of which "our" (whose?) "culture" is a part.
I want to reiterate that I never suggested otherwise (and quoted myself to demonstrate this), and then made it explicit just in case:
Nothing here implies that culture has no relationship to world events, and for a very good reason: because I don't believe that.
It's a little perplexing, then, to get a second response making the exact same case as the first one. I do not need to be persuaded that all cultural expressions have some effect on world events, over a sufficient time frame. Our disagreement is subtler and more difficult: a question of degree and emphasis.

2) So many things have long term effects, you could prevent any action by using its lack of immediate result to delegitimize it. "It's not our fault anymore" skips directly to "the consequences would be too far later". The choice of focusing on immediacy is, itself, a convenient way to escape the notion of interconnection and responsibility.
Potentially, but not inherently or inevitably. I have to object to the phrasing I keep seeing here, where you seem to assume people will fall into every possible pitfall of a given position. In reality, it's possible to be thoughtful (or thoughtless) about almost any position, yours or mine.

You say "well, the consequences are later and indirect so our effect is minimal" gives us an excuse not to care, and that's fair enough. But exaggerating our impact can:

a) rationalize our tribalistic desire to yell at people a bunch, and
b) give us an excuse not to do harder, more direct things to help.

In other words, how many people are just angry, and pretending Internet arguments have a meaningful effect gives them license to indulge that anger, and even allow them to think they're being productive? And, deciding those arguments are productive, how many people let themselves off the hook for donating money or doing things in their immediate community, because their time on reddit and forums (things they're doing out of compulsion anyway) conveniently count as their "community service"? Not all, we'd agree. But not none, either. And one expects some people even explicitly reason backwards: "This has to be important because I sink so much time into it."

Elections are the expression of public sentiments, and public sentiments are formed through ordinary interactions throughout the years. A racist being elected or not is less the effect of a vote being cast than the effect of years hearing from peers that racism is or isn't okay (and I mean racism as the content, not as the label). Votes used to give punctual visibility to dominant values, now these are permanently visible on the internet.
Sure, but this really has nothing to do with the point I'm making: that between elections, many of the effects of culture are "saved up" until the next election. Not totally, of course: politicians respond to polling and political pressure even when they're not on the ballot, and there's lots of smaller elections between the larger ones. But it's not linear: if the "wrong guy" wins, all the cultural expression that responds to it has far less effect until the next election. And occasionally it will have none, IMO, particularly if that expression is mostly done for emotional catharsis. Which sure seems to be the case, more and more.

And on internet forums, it means that those who are for or against bombs being dropped on a village have to get along in the name of their hobby, as this is more important to their lives than children being burned alive ("come on we won't ruin the friendly atmosphere over mere differences of opinion").
Under this logic, I'm not sure we'd ever be allowed to talk about movies, since time is finite and every moment we spend discussing or appreciating art (or playing games, or chatting, or whatever) is necessarily a moment we're not spending talking about <insert harrowing world event or situation here>.

And frankly, your job is quite easy here, compared to places where discussions are about whether ukrainians deserve the bombs. There's actually a vague local consensus on this. My gripe is about more remote, abstract elements (the deniability of indirect responsibility/complicity about events - events which themselves are, at least, deplored and disowned).

So yes, in practice, there is a maintained cohesion on this forum. What would be profound antagonisms are actually vastly put aside, in this forum's day-to-day activities.

(Also, I don't really see people "bristle" at the rules. Not even me. I admit their necessity while feeling bitter about what it shows and hides about mankind.)
Okay, this is a good clarification. Your previous post made it sound as if you were talking about this forum and this ruleset, specifically. I see now you're talking about all forums, and even all polite society. Fair enough.

Indeed, I doubt that a political flamewar would change anything. But not because of how remote (in time, scale, space) it is from the consequences : again, this is the voting fallacy but upstream. Sensitivities are shaped by everyday discussions and mirrored attitudes, by values circulations, by subcultural normativities - votes are just the end result of it. But it would be pointless because flamewars are sterile clashes of void rhetorical violence. It would bring the forum down without changing anyone's opinion (on the plus side, it would shatter an impression of tacit assent, on the minus side it would only polarize over-invested postures construed as core identities). In this zero-sum context, skipping the whole mess probably brings a same result at a reduced cost.
Agreed, and this is what most of the rules in question are about. The moment we accept indirect and long-term effects into our decision making about Internet arguments, we must simultaneously accept the practical effect those arguments have on those spaces. Increasingly, the effect is to destroy the space, at which point you have neither the pleasant appreciation of whatever non-political topic it was discussing OR whatever benefits come from "having it out" over those political topics.

But I disagree about the rationale for these rules. I disagree about this idea that words on a forum are disconnected from world events
Again, that's not the argument. The argument is that their effect is muted, blunted, indirect, and hard to trace, and that any righteous anger about the event itself cannot be losslessly transferred to discussions about it.

Reiterating the above: if we're considering the long-term effects argument can have on culture, and culture on world events, we also have to consider the long-term effects of allowing all spaces to be politicized. It sure seems to me as if the net effect of this is polarization and tribalism, which seem to swamp (or at least call into question) the unquantifiable value that comes from confronting such-and-such or calling out so-and-so.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Just reading some of the comments on here and as a long time, if infrequent member, I hope the thread is not closed! Open discussion is needed but it must be well educated discussion, not merely spouting media propaganda.

Ha... I wonder if people even know their sources. Whenever I'm having a discussion, lately, I'll stop and say, "Do you remember your source". Answer is always no.

I don't think banning RT and Sputnik is a good cost for democracy - I'd rather keep prices down, because there are plenty of people hurting here, and this was is between Ukraine and Russia, but of course, people are going to be used as pawns. Exploiting certain pictures, etc. I recommend citizen journalists who are on the ground.. But if you're going to watch agitprop from one side, try watching it from the other side, and other sources that are neutral - just as long as they are one of OUR neutrals

Every war is a stain on humanity; don't forget the others going on right now. Yemen has lost hundreds of thousands of children from malnutrition -- no easy death. A handful of others, and that's just my country. But I think it's time to blame ourselves, for the acquiescence. Too many people fearful of being socially ostracized, so they repeat the same poop I just heard on TV who have a commercial for weapons contractors. Great for business, but I don't think you can sustain an economy built on finding more efficient ways to kill each other off.

Usually during tumultuous times (Vietnam, for example), the culture steps up, and we at least got GREAT music and movies back then to help us deal with life's miseries.

Thanks to travel and message boards, I know people from both countries. I'll trust them over what's on TV. Hell, I think I'm the last person who actually has cable, while everyone I know got rid of it.

Ha... I wonder if people even know their sources. Whenever I'm having a discussion, lately, I'll stop and say, "Do you remember your source". Answer is always no.

I don't think banning RT and Sputnik is a good cost for democracy.
Exactly. As ever, agree with most of your points.

Imagine everyone telling you that WW3 is just on the horizon, but then knowing that that's probably not the case.
Yeah, this is tricky. Obviously it's easy to sound dismissive, but on the other hand, I'm not sure anyone is served by exaggerating the import of any event. It's kind of like demanding the death penalty for a really heinous crime: it is very difficult to say "well, I wouldn't go that far" about something awful. Parsing awfulness doesn't feel good, and it's risky. You are always vulnerable to the righteous flank of anyone who decides to take the bad thing even more seriously.

But I take it as a fundamental aspect of human nature that we exaggerate the importance of whatever is happening right now. Hence every election over the last half-century being treated as pivotal, if not "the most important election of our lifetimes." So any time someone insists that something happening is truly exceptional, I have a reflexive skepticism of it, because I think we need to put our thumb on the scale against the thing that most people do most of the time. The same way we need to put our thumb on the scale against believing any fact which flatters our preexisting beliefs, for example.

That said, when someone wants to express nuance about an awful thing, they need to...actually be nuanced. It simply won't do to try to "counterweight" an overreaction with an underreaction. If someone says "omg this is WW3" we don't balance that take by saying "pfft, nothing's going to happen, there's no reason to care about this." Will someone react hysterically even if you're thoughtful and nuanced and say "this is serious but thankfully it's still not that likely it'll explode into another world war"? Yes. But we should do that thing, the hard thing, anyway, and just hope thoughtful people notice and appreciate it.

Something I forgot to say earlier is how the minute you ban something, it only piques curiosity. I think bad ideas should die on their own, without a 3rd party mediator between audience and performer.

As bad as I think things will get (little at a time), I do not see a nuclear war, but we did a drop few on Japan, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility, and now almost a dozen countries have nukes. Russia has about 6,000. We have about 5,000. The average Russian man lives to 71, and Putin is almost 70, so he might think, last chance. Revenge. History. I've tried to watch as much video as I can of Putin (not someone narrating over it), to see his soul. He says the one thing he can't forgive is betrayal. I think he feels betrayed by most of the world, as well as Yeltsin, his predecessor for not getting anything in writing, but part of that anger then goes to The West, for being sly, and making sure they never got anything in writing about eastward expansion in NATO.

Here's Biden from 1997. Try reading/watching as much as you can. There's so much out there, it almost feels like cheating compared to the days where I'd have to visit the reference section (and couldn't take any documents home). I can read dozens of e-books, and using the CTRL-F (Search) tool, I can find exactly what I want, and see what was being said in the 10's, 00's, 90s, 80s, 70s, etc.. Don't let anyone tell you how you are supposed to feel, but try to be aware. Don't let anyone tell you what you see, but be open -- maybe there was something you didn't consider or see on first glance, and let's avoid being defensive, because this is how wars are started.

t...Imagine everyone telling you that WW3 is just on the horizon, but then knowing that that's probably not the case. It was a reaction to the unfavorable responses i got in real life when i was telling people not to worry about it...
WW3 may or may not happen at any time and at any given set of circumstances. One never knows what could trigger a series of events leading to nuclear war. May happen, may not, maybe now, maybe later or maybe never.

Probability is like rolling the dice and seeing what number comes up, only the probability dice has an infinite number of sides and anything can happen at any time, or won't happen. So I'm not worried.

Dmitry Medvedev warns of nuclear dystopia due to United States
And he's supposed to be Putin's eventual replacement...
https://www.yahoo.com/news/putin-all...075006672.html

As they say in diplomacy 100 - always talk.. Now, and not at the point of no return. Remember the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis. People always talk about the system as if it weren't run by humans. Vasily Arkhipov probably saved the world. Every US President from HW Bush to Trump seemed to have tried to get along with Yeltsin and/or Putin and just because we're where we're at now, doesn't mean we should slam the door. The world powers are probably talking now... hopefully.

There's an interesting story of how Putin is talking with Biden (2011), and Putin takes his finger, and presses it against his skin right underneath his eye downward and says something to the effect of... even if we have the same skin color, we are not the same.

BANNED (at user request)
WW3 may or may not happen at any time and at any given set of circumstances. One never knows what could trigger a series of events leading to nuclear war. May happen, may not, maybe now, maybe later or maybe never.

Probability is like rolling the dice and seeing what number comes up, only the probability dice has an infinite number of sides and anything can happen at any time, or won't happen. So I'm not worried.
You can have WW3 without the nukes, some folks on the internet have suggested that the Cold War never ended. That would be really horrible if Putin nuked ukraine, and would likely lead to an eventual displacement/domination of Russian people, and europe/asia would be left in a tremendously terrible state. Some people worry about immigrants now, but imagine if THAT were to happen.

You can have WW3 without the nukes,
Yes, of course. Nukes just makes the covno funner or scarier

some folks on the internet have suggested that the Cold War never ended.
Depends on how one slices that, but yeah I could see that statement as having truth to it. I've said as much myself recently, Soviet Communism or Putin dictatorship has there similarities, especially when we're talking about the Soviet Union under Stallions iron thumb.

That would be really horrible if Putin nuked ukraine, and would likely lead to an eventual displacement/domination of Russian people, and europe/asia would be left in a tremendously terrible state. Some people worry about immigrants now, but imagine if THAT were to happen.
Horrible yes. I think Putin a former KGB man is using fear an intimation (nukes, super bomb, etc) as a way of keeping western nations from intervening too much...and apparently it's working as no nation has sent aircraft into Ukraine.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
If you're having a verbal conversation or chatting, then it's understandable people do not have the source readily available. On a forum, however, a source would always be nice to have. But then, there are sources and there are sources and there definitely is some level of veracity and credibility to each of them. Both an average Joe and a compulsive liar can tell a lie, but the chances the compulsive liar will tell yet another lie tomorrow are much higher, statistically.

I don't think banning RT and Sputnik is a good cost for democracy
It really comes down to a conversation on censorship. Is it OK to proverbially shut the mouth of somebody you deem to be a liar and whose words are harmful? Or is "freedom of speech" more important than that? What is the limit of freedom of speech, and is there really any limit at all? Dunno if this is political or not, but I think that if there's a bunch of people doing direct or indirect harm to other people in your house, you have every right to expel them.

I'd rather keep prices down, because there are plenty of people hurting here, and this was is between Ukraine and Russia
That's rather cryptic to me. Do you mind explaining what you meant by that?

But if you're going to watch agitprop from one side, try watching it from the other side
It is always advisable to see the reasons of both parties. But this should never transform into the centrism of "truth is exactly in between". Because it rarely is.

Every war is a stain on humanity; don't forget the others going on right now.
True, but wars in other parts of the world are not a reason to undervalue whatever is happening in Ukraine right now.

But I think it's time to blame ourselves, for the acquiescence. Too many people fearful of being socially ostracized
Well said, but it's definitely not Americans who should blame themselves for their acquiescence.

Usually during tumultuous times (Vietnam, for example), the culture steps up, and we at least got GREAT music and movies back then to help us deal with life's miseries.
No, usually tumultuous times mean a dramatic decline of culture. The US got great art and counterculture during the Vietnam War because the war wasn't happening in America. If it was, the US would get very little art being made at all. But this is not the only reason. Most of the time, great art is only being made AFTER tumultuous times are over. There is a painful drop in the quality of Japanese films made during the Second World War, but a spike after the war.

Thanks to travel and message boards, I know people from both countries. I'll trust them over what's on TV.
There definitely is a difference between talking to a person whose city was bombed earlier today and another person who lives 3000 km from the place that was bombed. Not that the eye-witness knows everything, but they definitely know more than somebody across the ocean.

BANNED (at user request)
Horrible yes. I think Putin a former KGB man is using fear an intimation (nukes, super bomb, etc) as a way of keeping western nations from intervening too much...and apparently it's working as no nation has sent aircraft into Ukraine.

i think it's an important point to make that so much of the military activity since WW2 has been saber rattling or skirmishes.

I don't think i would like it if Putin shipped a nuke over to the US (the possiblility being ~0%), but yes that would add a crazy new dimension to my life! If he we're nihilistic enough to do that, where do you think he would attack? Maybe he would attack California, and institute Revolutionary Trump Training Camps That would add a whole new meaning to the hammer and sickle! Maybe they'll have nice drugs!

i think it's an important point to make that so much of the military activity since WW2 has been saber rattling or skirmishes.
Tell that to the Iraqi people or to the Afghan people to name just 2 countries that have suffered through war since 1945.

As bad as I think things will get (little at a time), I do not see a nuclear war, but we did a drop few on Japan, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility, and now almost a dozen countries have nukes.
I'm a stickler for certain facts. (No offense intended) but we (the U.S.) dropped a couple (precisely, a total of 2) atomic bombs on Japan in 1945.

(Only because "a few" usually connotes at least 3, usually 4, or more.)

I realize the vast majority know this, but you never know... we might have some young people reading whose history classes may have consisted only of how to judge others by their appearance.

BANNED (at user request)
Tell that to the Iraqi people or to the Afghan people to name just 2 countries that have suffered through war since 1945.

You clearly didn't read the "so much" part...it's an intimidation game for power. You see this is why i get so peeved about talking about politics: you can have a full scale violent military attack that has the purpose of intimidation.

I'm not going to tell "that" to some victim of war crimes, you can do that yourself.

I agree. It's often about who blinks first or maybe which nation soils their pants first. That's why I don't think we should so weakness in the face of a bully. But the flip side is we shouldn't taut a bully. Glad I'm not the president, the world is probably glad I'm not either

I'm pretty sure the occasional exception is accounted for in the phrase "so much of."
I saw the “so much of”, but I strongly disagree with his statement that “so much of the military activity since WW2 has been saber rattling or skirmishes.” I don’t agree with it at all: hence my post.