Torchwood

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
And Farscape's not silly...? Isn't that the one with puppets...?

Not really sure why Ianto doesn't have much of a Welsh accent, seeing as he's Welsh...must have missed the episode where that was explained. He's still cuter than Rhys. And I'm a sucker for an unrequited love story, which is what the Ianto and Jack story basically was...

I have a soft spot for Barrowman still from when I had a crush on him when I was about ten or eleven and he was on kids' tv and in musicals...

I have no idea what Farscape's like, I just downloaded it. Someone recommended it as good sci-fi....maybe they were being sarcastic...damnit!

Anyhoo, did you watch the episode of Nevermind the buzzcocks with Barrowman? He was pretty awesome in it (not as awesome as Amstell who is a GOD but still).

Well, enough violence for you in that last episode? Bloody hell.
I don't know, as I said, I don't watch Torchwood. I think the last episode of Series 1 was the last episode I watched.

Anyhoo, did you watch the episode of Nevermind the buzzcocks with Barrowman? He was pretty awesome in it (not as awesome as Amstell who is a GOD but still).
That was a good episode of Buzzcocks.

I have to ask though, Amstell a GOD?!? Are you kidding me? I use many words to describe him, but God has never been one of them. Did you watch Buzzcocks when Mark Lamaar hosted it or, in other words, when it was really good? Also, did you know that Amstell has quit Buzzcocks? I haven't heard if they're going to get another permenant host or is they'll have a guest host every week ala HIGNFY.

I quite like Amstell. Some of my friends really like him and went to see him doing stand-up in London and said he was really good. Barrowman was good. Maybe he'll move to Buzzcocks permanently. I can't see how they can bring Torchwood back after this week...although he'll hardly be at a loose end, he's everywhere these days...

I have to ask though, Amstell a GOD?!? Are you kidding me? I use many words to describe him, but God has never been one of them. Did you watch Buzzcocks when Mark Lamaar hosted it or, in other words, when it was really good? Also, did you know that Amstell has quit Buzzcocks? I haven't heard if they're going to get another permenant host or is they'll have a guest host every week ala HIGNFY.
What?? Why?? Whyyyyy?!?! *falls down on his knees cursing the Gods......of Kobol.....*

I only started watching Buzzcocks since Amstell's been hosting (through youtube, we don't get it down here in the depths of hell). Is Lamaar really cute and have great hair and wear awesome sweaters and is a raging homosexual meaning I still have a snowballs chance in hell to make it with him? *unsure*

Simon Amstell has reportedly decided to move on from his role as host of the BBC quizshow Never Mind The Buzzcocks.

The 29-year-old took on the post from Mark Lamarr in 2006 and has since won a number of awards for his work at the helm.

However, a source told The Sun that Amstell now wants to concentrate on other projects.

"Simon is a funny guy who can think on his feet but he has decided it is time to move on," the insider said. "He is working on a new project that has been commissioned by the BBC and feels he wants to concentrate on that."

A spokeswoman for the corporation confirmed that Amstell would leave the show at the end of his third series.
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a1539...buzzcocks.html

As for Mark Lamarr, I couldn't say if it was cute or not (I wouldn't call Amstell cute so, even if I did, I don't know that it'd be much of a guide for you). He doesn't have great hair (used to have a great 50's quiff though) a definate no on the sweaters and as a married man, even if he were homosexual, I doubt he'd be "raging".

I would say that, IMO, he was funnier than Amstell, cleverer than Amstell, more vicious than Amstell and didn't just pick on people that were in no fit state to defend themselves or people who he knew wouldn't have the public on his side. I got used to Amstell, but I've never liked him. Not even when he was on T4. Actually, especially when he was on T4. He always seems smug and I can't find a reason for it.

Having said that, I've seen him do stand-up a couple of times and he's not too bad. Not great or anything, but I've seen worse.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
This five part 'third series' was kind of different from the 'proper' series, though. Although the resolution could accurately be described as 'freakin stupid'. Gwen kind of annoys me, although she's alright when she's not running around after Jack. I liked Ianto. That scene...well, I won't spoil it just in case any of you ever watch it...
wow, I just watched the whole Children of Earth miniseries and I was really into it. I had never seen Torchwood before and have ordered seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix. I'm hooked.

The ending made me wonder if they were even continuing with the series, but I see that they are... I know what you mean about the resolution being sorta lame, but I was too busy freaking about Jack Harkness' morality to even care. I was rather shocked, to say the least. Were you?

And I think this could have been extended a few more episodes making the resolution even bigger and better (a war, maybe?)

What do you mean when you say Jack's morailty? Maybe one of the other s could tell me if it was specific to this series or just the character in general? If it's just his character in general then you're in for a shock when you see series 1 & 2, as this was watered down for the US market. If it's not though, I'd be interested to know what they did with him.

WARNING: "Torchwood" spoilers below
He sacrifices his grandson to destroy the aliens. Stands the kid in the middle of a room and sends a signal through him so he starts having fits and eventually dies. It is quite shocking, in the way it is filmed, with the kid's mother hammering on the window and screaming. I know he does send that girl to the fairies in the first series, but he didn't kill her.

Yes, I thought it extremely daring and I'm still rather shocked about the whole thing. Not something I think I've ever seen a "hero" do. I probably shouldn't have watched that before the first two seasons, but, hey, it's summer and I'm bored! (Netflix is shipping two...)

But really, wasn't that just flat-out shocking? How am I supposed to feel about him?

What happens next season?

EDIT: Of course, I'm looking at Angel in my avatar. Hmmm.. he did some awful things, too, and I forgave him. Hmmm....

I think they partly did it to show that Jack isn't a hero in the same mould as the Doctor (the Doctor would have found another way), he is this flawed, troubled character. I think it came across as more shocking particularly as previously in the series (does 5 episodes count as a series?) we see more of his human side, his daughter and grandson, his relationship with Ianto, his friendship with Gwen etc.

Well, I just watched the first 5 episodes of series 1, and already it seems clear that Jack will make the "tough" decisions, although I still think the ending of Children of Earth was really out there on the morality scale.

Do we learn about Jack's past and who he is throughout the series, or would we have had to watch the Doctor Who episode he was in? (he was introduced there, right?)

And I understand Spike from Buffy shows up in the second series.

I just finished season 1 and whoa, am I in love with Jack Harkness or what? And yet, about that third season....lol....

I was pretty much blown away by episode 12 when Jack meets Jack. Nice little video summary set to Aerosmith:

BTW, I also found an interesting diary over at Daily Kos where the diarist discusses Jack's sexuality.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...nd-Gay-Romance

Besides everything that is said here about Torchwood, I found it interesting that the diarist pointed out there are no gay characters in Star Trek. I never thought about that but it's true, isn't it?

I think Jack being from the future makes it easy to have a character that doesn't have the same hangups about sexuality that people in the 21st/20th centuries would have.

Haha, I just finished the first series too. And I have more of a thing for Ianto...

Actually, there are no gay characters in Torchwood, either. Everyone seems to be bi, or at least not that fussy with regards to gender, not just Jack! All the main characters kiss someone of the same and opposite sex during the course of the series. I know that this annoys some people because they don't feel it properly represents sexuality, that some people should be completely straight or completely gay. It doesn't bother me. If you're going to believe in weevils, after all...

Is Gwen getting on your nerves too? She's horrible, especially when she drugged Rhys and screamed at him to forgive her for having an affair. And all the suggestive little scenes with her and Jack made me feel ill. Mainly because I want Jack and Ianto to get together.

You're right, there are no gay characters, which does make it rather fun because everybody does everybody!

Yea, that scene with Gwen was rather crazy, although I like her a lot, and understood why she did it. The person who is getting on my nerves is Owen. He was so possessed when he opened the rift. I wanted to shoot him, too.

And that reminds me, do you ever think this has got to be the most unprofessional group of people ever? They are supposed to be part of an important organization yet they let their personal feelings mess things up time and again.

Of course, if they didn't have those problems, there would be no stories, I guess. But they shot Jack? Mutinied against him and then what? It's all happy afterward.

Well, only Owen shot him. There wasn't much any of the others could do about it. Gwen knew he'd come back and possibly Ianto. I think Jack forgave them and understood because usually he has to make the hard decisions and sacrifice people. He has after all threatened to kill Ianto, cast out Owen, left Ianto and Tosh to fend for themselves in the Beacons, used the weevil as bait... not to mention all the minor characters who have to die each week.

Owen is a sleaze right from the start, true.

They are horribly (entertainingly) unprofessional...but then again, they're more a rogue force than an official organisation, I suppose. I do wonder at the sheer number of people they bring into their supposedly top-secret base.

Thursday, watching second season yet?

I just watched the first 3 of season 2, and the third episode was about a soldier in WWI falling through that time rift thingy. I was pretty amazed at how poignant that episode was. I cried.

You know, some of the show seems silly and it's fun, but once in a while, this show really gets me going emotionally. I love the time episodes the most -- as opposed to the alien ones -- because it gives them an opportunity to really explore a bit of history. I guess it isn't a coincidence either that going back in time usually means going back to one of the world wars.

It was fun seeing "Spike" again, too.

Yep, up to episode five...or six...lost count! Yes, it does get emotional. It's often sad and that soldier episode particularly so.

I didn't like the 'Meat' episode; inferior writing, I thought, simplistic and dull in comparison to some of the other episodes. If Jack and Gwen don't stop giving each other meaningful looks soon I may throw something at the telly.

And yes, wasn't he just like Spike!