The Top 100 Best Comedies (Time Out Magazine)

Tools    

lol... Brod says he only likes 11 out of the 20, while I'm amazed that I like 11 of the 20. BTW, you say it's not for you to say the least and then you mention two of them. Well, three actually, seeing as there's two MP films in the 20.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think anyone who hasn't seen ONE of those 20 needs to see ALL the ones they haven't seen. My list would certainly be different. There's no PillowTalk/Lover Come Back (the Day-Hudson flicks). Those are iconic, along with Wilder's/Diamond's/Cagney's One, Two, Three. Besides that, there's no Richard Pryor Live in Concert which is a hundred times better than any of his "studio films". Even so, it's a good list, and if people like the four "oldies" I recommended, I'll provide more with a PM.

I'm editing in my own American sex comedies from the '80s/90s - there's no Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Dazed and Confused, Mischief, and besides that, two of the funniest films I've ever seen are Back to the Future and American Grafitti. I mean, I didn't expect Used Cars or 1941, but Zemeckis/Gale deserve some respect for their comedy scriptwriting.

that's what she said...
1st off, i have never seen, nor even heard of before, The Spinal Tap.

I can agree with most on the list being there, but i dont agree with Borat making the list. Yes it is funny & original, but it lacks raw humor. Its only funny because of its stupidness... like Napoleon Dynamite. There is no parody or jokes... its just stupidity. I dont mean it negatively, cuz i do like Borat. I just dont think its top 20 material.

just my 2cents on the topic!

My computer is just slow enough with what I'm currently doing that I need to make another separate post. Sorry.

Some of the best Brit comedies I don't think I see: Pygmalion, Major Barbara, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Horse's Mouth, The Importance of Being Earnest, Hobson's Choice, A Hard Day's Night and The Wrong Box. Apparently tripped-out culties like The Ruling Class and Last Holiday are too serious to count.

It saddens me that Bruno didn't make the list, yet Borat came in at #12. Maybe it's just me, but I forgot all about Borat after seeing Bruno. I guess I could really relate to the movie being gay and all. But sometimes I think that's why people just didn't like it -- 'cause it was about this flamboyantly gay character.

Semper Fooey
It is a horrible list.

No Preston Struges, no George Cukor, just one Frank Capra (and the wrong one), just one Howard Hawks (His Gal Friday over Bringing Up Baby?), no Gregory La Cava, no Ernest Lubitsch, and no Rene Clair. Too many absolutely bad movies there that have no business being anywhere near a top 100 list.

This didn't make the list, but BASEketball did???

BTW, you say it's not for you to say the least and then you mention two of them. Well, three actually, seeing as there's two MP films in the 20.
What? I don't understand what you're getting at here.

No Preston Struges,
There is one: Sullivan's Travels. I think The Palm Beach Story should be on it.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I felt that American Psycho was a real laugh riot.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I actually really can't believe Team America made No. 11. Funny film, but the eleventh funniest film of all time?

What, no Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Kingpin, Heartbreakers, Old School, Double Take, What's The Worst It Could Happen?, Dazed And Confused, Anger Management, Something About Mary, Tin Men, A Fish Called Wanda, As Good As It Gets,, Serial Mom, Double Whammy, Nurse Betty , Clay Pidgeons, Death To Smooche, The Opposite Of Sex, Mrs. Doubtfire, Don't Be A Menace? Not one in their top 20. I'll take these 20 against their 20 and go to war!!

Anchorman, definitely.

I looked at the top 100 and there are only 26 that I have seen. More Robin Williams and Jim Carrey movies for me. Recently saw Shaun of the Dead and didn t think it was that funny. I personally don t like movies that have to be stupid to be funny. I have to have a really good laugh for a movie to be comedic. I want to see Galaxy Quest. What about some of the recent movies?

I disagree with many of the placements but understand that it's opinion based. The only thing that really surprises me is that Animal House is not way up at the top. It's my favorite comedy and I thought that it was considered one of the very best by many.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
disappointed with no Wedding Crashers. I mean I didn't expect it to be very low on the list, but at least an appearance would have been nice. Some like it Hot is the best for me and likewise, I think there are a lot of films that aren't even funny on this list.