Custom Lists: Beta Testing

Tools    

Sort of, yes.

Basically, when this feature was created it was just a way to check off films from famous lists (like AFI lists) you'd seen. Now that I've added the ability to create Custom Lists, it seems to be the creation and sharing of those is the more common/likely use of the area, and I'm not as sure if people will care much about checking off what they've seen on other people's lists. That said, it shouldn't do the little "cross out" motion if people can't save them, so I'll fix that if necessary.

I'd definitely like to hear people's thoughts on how they would LIKE to use this area in light of the custom list stuff, though.

Also answers to Jabba
In my head I always connected striking off something from a list with marking it as "seen" in mf's database. So on my end, I would expect/want the same behavior to carry to customs lists as well. Especially your own.

Got it.

I'm swamped with house stuff at the moment but I'll make a note to "fix" this shortly and just move the whole Custom Lists thing forward soon.

Okay, can someone try it now/see if the Save List button behaves and it's all intuitive and stuff, for now?

More coming, but wanted to get this back up for now at least.

Created one (testy) with just the one entry (Jaws) and hit Save twice but not sure whether or not it saved it as I've forgotten how to find my private lists by now Think the list number was 369 if that helps?

No 'Save List' button without first going into 'View List' - is that how it should be?

No 'Save List' button without first going into 'View List' - is that how it should be?
Yeah, I think so, distinction between viewing and editing. But there's no perfect answer, I can see people "expecting" either. So I might end up adding a Save to the edit page too.

Yeah, I think so, distinction between viewing and editing. But there's no perfect answer, I can see people "expecting" either. So I might end up adding a Save to the edit page too.
I'd deffo be in the 'both' camp myself, first time making one it's nice to view it first but with more experience comes less need/want to do that imo.

If I had to choose though I'd much rather have a simple, obvious way to see all of one's personal lists regardless of status

It's definitely evident to me how much I'm asking this area/feature to do, given how many weird inflection points there are around these distinctions.

All feedback welcome, but my strong instinct is to try to figure out what the "core" functions are and optimize for those.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Okay, can someone try it now/see if the Save List button behaves and it's all intuitive and stuff, for now?

More coming, but wanted to get this back up for now at least.

I'm not sure what you wanted to test, but I opened one of my previously saved custom lists, and I added a movie to it, and it saved it properly.

The only issue I had was the same thing that Chyp mentioned about having to view the list before saving it. There should be a save button on the editing page.

Other than that, it seems to work properly.

Also answers to Jabba
@Yoda cheers for that. One more thing that I just noticed. Is it expected behavior that if you select in the settings "show 8 posters" that the first 8 films disappear from the list? It looks more like a bug.

It is expected (kind of a remnant from when I was thinking this would be more for display than checking things off), but I was actually wondering about what's intuitive here. I take it you feel that the plain text list should always be there, all the time, and that the options for banners and posters should be in addition to it?

Also answers to Jabba
It is expected, but I was actually wondering about what's intuitive here. I take it you feel that the plain text list should always be there, all the time, and that the options for banners and posters should be in addition to it?

More or less yeah. I figured it was more of an aesthetic change. Especially since, if you are using lists to keep track of what you've seen like I do, the first 8 films become unselectable (which I just found out is not a word).

Got it.

FWIW (not that this changes your suggestion), the lists are fully tied into the "Seen" mechanic. If you search for movies you can mark them seen there and they show up checked on lists (and vice-versa). Ditto if you have any reviews accepted or rate any films. So you can keep track of what you've seen (Seen Log) without ever touching the lists. Just FYI!

Also answers to Jabba
Got it.

FWIW (not that this changes your suggestion), the lists are fully tied into the "Seen" mechanic. If you search for movies you can mark them seen there and they show up checked on lists (and vice-versa). Ditto if you have any reviews accepted or rate any films. So you can keep track of what you've seen (Seen Log) without ever touching the lists. Just FYI!

Yes I am aware and it is a very well implemented feature. It has the added benefit of not having to cross off the same film on multiple lists.

I got an idea to make searching a little easier. Instead of asking what you need to type when adding a movie, and it doesn't show up in the search (ex. M, Ran and Jack), I noticed there was a number next to every name in the address for each movie page.

Jack: https://www.movieforums.com/movies/7095-jack.html
The Jack in the Box: Awakening: https://www.movieforums.com/movies/8...awakening.html

7095 and 801071. Could the numbers somehow be used in the search? Until then, how do I add Jack (1996)?