Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Kid With a Bike

Great film. This is the second Dardenne movie i've seen after The Son; i thought The Son had some remarkable stuff going on more than anything Olivier Gourmet's performance who would rank up there with the best of this century for me, problem was i kind of ruined it for myself. The whole reason i decided to watch it was because i read the premise and thought it sounded good, thing is everything is kept a mystery for a while and with me knowing what was going on between Gourmet and the kid it took alot of the power out of it for me. There was also some stuff you had to suspend disbelief over which shouldn't be necessary in a no thrills, down to earth, attempting to be realistic film like that. Only gave it 2.5/5 but i'd probably up that to 3 thinking back, anyway even though i ruined that for myself i could tell their films had a great chance of working for me and this one did alot.

There was something both funny and sad about watching this kid try to run away all the time. After watching i read a couple of reviews on Letterboxd one of the highest rated ones was basically a sentence saying that the kid was an a-hole with a low score. Whoever wrote that wasn't wrong at all but that's what i loved about it, it didn't shy away from making the main character completely unlikeable when his situation meant there was a strong chance he was going to be like that. It's easy enough to make a film about a troubled child who half of the time is very sweet then half of the time acts out, this feels more real to me in that he is always a risk of going nuts for seemingly no reason. It does have endearing moments with him; everything involving his dad even when he is being a dick is pretty heartbreaking, and not in a cloying way in a very believable he doesn't want to let on that he is hurt way. For a long time the only direct plea for sympathy from him was that scene late at night when he says he wants his dad. The dad was a shthead not even sure what to say there, i literally facepalmed when he nonchalantly said "what's up" no apology no excitement for seeing him for the first time in however long, just gross. Such a pathetic pos trying to put it on Samantha, and it's just all the effort the kid puts into seeing him and how he's such a different person around him, the whole thing was disgusting.

No doubt i kinda hated him at times not because of his outbursts but because of all the stuff with Wesker, betraying Samantha after everything she had done including choosing him over her boyfriend; it made complete sense though so wasn't a problem. The actor who played Wesker was totally convincing as a manipulative snake, the kid already feels angry and betrayed, he is looking for a place to belong and Wesker offers this. There's also the fact that Wesker went to the same home he is the same as the kid so he knows dangling the good things he has in front of his face will make him believe good things will come if he just does what he says. It's kind of subtly heartbreaking when you see that he has broken his promise to Samantha immediately after making it and what he is actually going to do. I call it subtle because that's not the tone of the scene at all but it definitely made me feel bad all things considered. That's the best thing about their films and it's obviously not just theirs: the present things as is and let the viewer come to their own conclusions works alot for me at times. I mean i know these aren't difficult things to arrive at but i don't feel like the Dardenne's are trying to drag me there and i think evidence of that is a fair amount of people not liking the film because they despised the kid.

Like The Son i figured early on there was mystery here mainly what is this woman's deal. She paid for his bike then agreed to foster him without more than five seconds of thought and this was after seeing that he is obviously troubled. The obvious guess would be that she can't have kids but it doesn't go into it and i'm glad it doesn't because i don't think it would add much and i can't see a way for them to fit it in which wouldn't feel contrived; as she is obviously not going to tell the kid that the only way to do it would be her saying it to another adult which i wouldn't have liked. Her saying "I don't know" when the kid asks was enough for me. The actress was fantastic and the character was a saint basically, felt bad for her throughout. Really don't know what to think of the ending; overall i'd say i liked it i think. Thought it wasn't going to tell you whether he lived or not which would have been annoying, the whole thing was weird. Anyway great film.

+

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Winter's Bone (2010)

I didn't like this much at first but it grew on me and sucked me in. I didn't know where this was going and I liked that.

The Void (2016)

This movie has some serious problems, such as an unclear protagonist, and a really annoying side character Kim (Ellen Wong). The latter one nearly had me cut the movie off prematurely, because it was like nails on a chalkboard. Additionally, my gf was put off by how close the movie was to The Thing (1982).

However, the practical effects were really exciting and fun to watch, and The Void reminded me a lot of Hellraiser (the first movie), which has a special place in my heart for the bizarre (yet clearly played) modus operandi of the antagonist. Also, the plot concerns Lovecraftian cosmic horror, and something about that aspect to it really sings to me.

Special thanks to @Hey Fredrick for the suggestion
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	void.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	37963  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Patriots Day

(Peter Berg)

The third film from Wahl-Berg (that's me mashing Mark Wahlberg and Peter Berg together, genius I know) in their fact based drama trilogy. I have no idea if they are making more of these films so I'll call it a trilogy for now, with the other two being Lone Survivor and Deepwater Horizon.

Berg takes a documentary style approach to the filmmaking here, making the film feel like a first hand account of the events that day. Mixing in actual camera footage and the mundane routine of people that day, the film has a 'realness' to it that only gets stretched towards the end when I questioned how much of what I'm seeing actually happened. I remember the bombing, the shootout and the capture, I do not remember the shooting involving multiple pipe bombs being thrown around and the mass destruction ensuing.

For the most part though, the film seems to be faithful to the events, with the exception of Wahlberg who is a fictional character. He represents 'every cop' in Boston on that day, so it's inevitable to see him have a hand in everything that happens; at bombing site, tracking down camera locations to I.D. suspect, arrive at shoot-out, question kidnapped victim, find the terrorist in the boat, etc. He does his Wahlberg thing in his Wahlberg fashion with only one scene asking him to showcase his dramatic chops in which he recounts the events to his wife.

Is it too soon? Is it shameful? I don't have the answers to these questions. I can only sit down and watch a film that is presented to me. I found myself engaged in the manhunt, the round-the-clock detective work to I.D. the suspects and more importantly, the representation of the victims that day. The film ends with interviews from the real people who were there; runners, FBI, police, etc. Seeing people come together in the face of adversity brings a smile to my face. Maybe one day we can live in a world where a film like this doesn't have to exist.

Suspect's Reviews

All I have to say is... best movie I've seen in 2017, and an instant action classic! Everything about this movie is great... the perfect example of a brutally violent film being a piece of art. Highly recommend!

10/10
Watched it last night and....Good call, Doc! Wow, brutal is right. I thought the pacing was similar to Bone Tomahawk early on but really got going about halfway through whereas Bone made you wait until the very end. Either way works for me. Zahler (gonna keep an eye out for this guy) sure does like himself some gratuitous violence doesn't he? Holy cow!

Brawl in Cell Block 99

Impressive performance by Robert Pattinson. I honestly didn't believe he had that kind of acting chops. This was a good movie, but IMO it became a bit convoluted towards the middle portion which prevented it from being a great film. I did enjoy it... however, I didn't find it particularly rewatchable. But definitely well worth one viewing.

7/10

Watched it last night and....Good call, Doc! Wow, brutal is right. I thought the pacing was similar to Bone Tomahawk early on but really got going about halfway through whereas Bone made you wait until the very end. Either way works for me. Zahler (gonna keep an eye out for this guy) sure does like himself some gratuitous violence doesn't he? Holy cow!

Brawl in Cell Block 99
Bone Tomahawk continues to be on my short list. I'm aiming on watching it this week, if I can.

As for Zahler, I'm sure the guy has many quality violent gems to come, but who knows? One day we might look back, and consider Brawl to be his true masterpiece.

Patriots Day

(Peter Berg)

The third film from Wahl-Berg (that's me mashing Mark Wahlberg and Peter Berg together, genius I know) in their fact based drama trilogy. I have no idea if they are making more of these films so I'll call it a trilogy for now, with the other two being Lone Survivor and Deepwater Horizon.

Berg takes a documentary style approach to the filmmaking here, making the film feel like a first hand account of the events that day. Mixing in actual camera footage and the mundane routine of people that day, the film has a 'realness' to it that only gets stretched towards the end when I questioned how much of what I'm seeing actually happened. I remember the bombing, the shootout and the capture, I do not remember the shooting involving multiple pipe bombs being thrown around and the mass destruction ensuing.

For the most part though, the film seems to be faithful to the events, with the exception of Wahlberg who is a fictional character. He represents 'every cop' in Boston on that day, so it's inevitable to see him have a hand in everything that happens; at bombing site, tracking down camera locations to I.D. suspect, arrive at shoot-out, question kidnapped victim, find the terrorist in the boat, etc. He does his Wahlberg thing in his Wahlberg fashion with only one scene asking him to showcase his dramatic chops in which he recounts the events to his wife.

Is it too soon? Is it shameful? I don't have the answers to these questions. I can only sit down and watch a film that is presented to me. I found myself engaged in the manhunt, the round-the-clock detective work to I.D. the suspects and more importantly, the representation of the victims that day. The film ends with interviews from the real people who were there; runners, FBI, police, etc. Seeing people come together in the face of adversity brings a smile to my face. Maybe one day we can live in a world where a film like this doesn't have to exist.
For some reason, I simply don't have the motivation to watch Patriots Day. I suppose one day, I'll get around to it. I enjoyed Lone Survivor - thought that was a really solid war movie. But Deepwater Horizon was a disaster (pun intended). Just a terribly executed movie.

This might just do nobody any good.
Impressive performance by Robert Pattinson. I honestly didn't believe he had that kind of acting chops.
I thought he was really good in The Rover. That’s the one that made me take notice. Cosmopolis too, though I admit to being a Cronenberg fanatic so I may be biased there. He’s building an impressive career, post-Twilight.

I thought he was really good in The Rover. That’s the one that made me take notice. Cosmopolis too, though I admit to being a Cronenberg fanatic so I may be biased there. He’s building an impressive career, post-Twilight.
Cronenberg fan here, so I'll have to add Cosmopolis to my list of films to watch soon.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Kingsman: The Golden Circle
- I liked this, but it isn't as good as the first one. Kingsman: The Secret Service was a wild, tasteless, hilarious take on spy films, it had this feeling of "Can you believe what we're getting away with?" The second was funny, action packed, and sometimes gross, but somehow less daring. I wish they had pushed the mayhem of the first one even further instead of giving us more of the same. There's a lot to like in this sequel, but it just pales in comparison to the original. Plus, the trailers make it look like Channing Tatum is a major part of this film, and he really isn't. I just thought that was weird.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Patriots Day

(Peter Berg)

Have you seen STRONGER? It's better.

For some reason, I simply don't have the motivation to watch Patriots Day. I suppose one day, I'll get around to it. I enjoyed Lone Survivor - thought that was a really solid war movie. But Deepwater Horizon was a disaster (pun intended). Just a terribly executed movie.

Interesting, I actually liked Deepwater Horizon a lot, maybe because I saw it on IMAX.

Anyways, I recommend you watch STRONGER over Patriots Day.

Amen to that! Deepwater Horizon blew! Patriots Day wasn't great but it was better than Deepwater Horizon.

My review Deepwater Horizon
My review Patriots Day

Brawl In Cell Block 99

Was going to watch Brigsby Bear and i will some time in the next few days, thought this would be a better fit right now after the down to earth Kid With A Bike earlier. Nearly everything before he ends up in jail was terrible, the film would have been alot better if it started with him already in jail and any attempt at a conflict and/or emotional story was erased because the writer was obviously not capable of making it meaningful. The script is eyeroll worthy quite a bit; like the law of averages/cream nonsense, seems to be trying (and failing miserably) to say more than it needs to at times and it can be pretty tough to watch. For the most part i'd say the script was awful, like how horrible was the part at the pool table where Vaughn is hitting you over the head with the fact that his childs birth means so much to him when he is obviously going to end up in jail soon, seriously made me cringe how unsubtle and weak it was. And that didn't even satisfy the writer he had to make Vaughn seriously wary about doing this just...ugh. The attempts at making him likeable were completely unnecessary and they didn't work anyway, making him go back to help the police was so dumb and you even had the prosecutor reiterating it in the next scene too make completely sure that the audience is aware this is a good guy, he supports our boys in blue! Jesus christ. Not going to keep going on about the script because there was things i liked about this film but yeah it was mostly a POS, think this part of the film was on par with Con Air which it reminded me of (i mean he even refuses to see the kid while he is in prison just like Cage ) except it was taking itself alot more seriously making it that much worse.

It's annoying because the majority of the prison stuff really works, it's very brutal and Vaughn is excellent. This could have been much better as a 90-100 minute film with all or the vast majority of it set in prison. I mean the wife and baby's limbs stuff was super stupid but at that point i didn't care was just looking for some over the top action and i got it. The whole thing got more and more ridiculous and it was great, the sht cell cracked me up then i was dying when there was apparently something worse in Cell Block 99. So there was 90 minutes of a very entertaining brutal action film with a flimsly plot only there to hold things together, problem is that was following around 50 minutes of a horrendous attempt at an actual story. If there was only 5-10 minutes of the latter i'd say i kind of loved this but that's way too much to dismiss. Mixed but entertaining in the end.

+

Brawl In Cell Block 99

making him go back to help the police was so dumb and you even had the prosecutor reiterating it in the next scene too make completely sure that the audience is aware this is a good guy, he supports our boys in blue! Jesus christ.

+
See, I figured he was only going back to tie up loose ends. For example, if the police had arrested the thugs, they might've sang like canaries. I though Vaughn's character was just being a "cleaner" and not necessarily helping out the police. He had interests to protect..his boss, his own employment. I know at the prison briefing room the detective stated he thought the character was that of American pride and protect the police, but I think that was just one way to see it. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

See, I figured he was only going back to tie up loose ends. For example, if the police had arrested the thugs, they might've sang like canaries. I though Vaughn's character was just being a "cleaner" and not necessarily helping out the police. He had interests to protect..his boss, his own employment. I know at the prison briefing room the detective stated he thought the character was that of American pride and protect the police, but I think that was just one way to see it. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.
You could be right but he gave himself up anyway it's not as if he had any chance of getting away when he went back, his only chance of getting out of there was before he turned back. It would make more sense taking the chance that they would keep their mouths shut than heading back into an impossible situation to get away from, not to mention extremely dangerous he could have easily have died there.

You could be right but he gave himself up anyway it's not as if he had any chance of getting away when he went back, his only chance of getting out of there was before he turned back. It would make more sense taking the chance that they would keep their mouths shut than heading back into an impossible situation to get away from, not to mention extremely dangerous he could have easily have died there.
Hmm, interesting.

What if he went back because he knew the two thugs were of weaker constitution than himself, and he had to protect the operation's identity. So, he would kill the two thugs, and knew the he-himself would keep quiet, even though he was gong to be incarcerated. Because, now that I think of it, that whole thing with the American flag...I don't remember one hanging over his door at his house, let alone inside. Maybe I'll re-check the film for that. But he could've just been letting the detective run his mouth and not disagree, and in fact egg him on, to keep the sentence reduced to 4-5 yrs, even though it turns into 7, which he is clearly really pissed off about when he finds out. (?)