14th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
I'm about half way through Time of the Gypsies. I'm going to jump back into that later tonight, and with that one finished I'll only have three left to see.

Let the night air cool you off
The Hurricane

I don't love this movie. I don't hate this movie. I'm not particularly passionate about any single element of this film, good or bad. I'm not fond of Denzel Washington as an actor, I can't thing of a single performance of his that has really taken my breath away. It's been awhile since I've seen Training Day, but it's the only impressive performance of his that I can remember, but I might not even be remembering that for what it is. Here he isn't bad, which is usual, but I'm also not convinced by his performance, which is also usual. The only thing the film did that impressed me is somehow the final scene was a feel good moment. Apparently there are plenty of inaccuracies in the film though? I don't know if that is true or not, I've done zero research on the subject. But if that's true, that feels like a big deal considering the subject matter of the film. Normally I wouldn't really care, but the film really falls flat on showing Hurricane Carter as a real human being, and decides to instead show him as a morally invincible man who did no wrongs, and was only wronged his whole life. I think I would have instead enjoyed a closer version of the truth, but I guess you can't do the truth because then Hurricane might not be a sympathetic character. Big Pussy Bonpensiero being in the film was a distraction too, but that's not really his fault.

Raul, I can quickly decide on the rankings and send the list today. As for film notes/write-ups I can post them in 2 or 3 days if they're necessary. Is that fine?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Raul, I can quickly decide on the rankings and send the list today. As for film notes/write-ups I can post them in 2 or 3 days if they're necessary. Is that fine?
Sounds good

Better late than never, right?

The Invisible Guest (Contratiempo) (Oriol Paulo, 2016)
Imdb

Date Watched: 10/30/17
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 14th Hall of Fame, Sarge's nomination
Rewatch: No

I really struggled to get into this movie at first and it took several attempts to finish it. Admittedly though, issues in my life at the time probably contributed to my inability to focus.

None of the characters were likable and there was nothing particularly notable about any of the performances. However, the story was intriguing and the all of the misdirection in the plot did keep me guessing for awhile, though I did see the final twist coming. Once I finally settled in and was able to engage with the film, I found myself enjoying it quite a bit. Overall it was a well crafted film and I was impressed by it, but now that all its secrets have been revealed, I doubt I’ll ever watch it again. There just isn’t anything really to return to.

Lone Star : Uninspired crime thriller with a rather inflicted social commentary that doesn't really come of natural. I would of prefer if the story was primarily focused on the conflict between Matthew Mcconaughey and Kris Kristofferson, instead of juggling between unnecessary sporadic plotlines which were nowhere as engrossing.

Contratiempo : Slightly above-average mystery with a cleverly written script and an interesting structure. Even though the story was a tad predictable, the final twist was definitely unexpected and even shocking. The concept of recreating the crime through different scenarios was interesting but also difficult to follow and sometimes bothersome. The way the parents took justice into their own hands was reminiscing of The Secret in Their Eyes, to me a much superior film.

Passengers : I abhor space dramas. I believe they're massively overdone and mostly tedious, so I wasn't really excited to watch Passengers. To my suprise, the film was acutally watchable. The CGI and the spaceship design were expectional and the story was actually decently entertaining. Chris Pratt suffers from James Franco syndrome where it's extremely hard to take him seriously in a non-comedic role and that was especially noticable here. Also the chemistry between the main leads definitely could've been better.

Black Snake Moan : Film poster told me all I needed to know about it. For the most part exploitative, vulgar and distasteful work which made me uncomfortable throughout its full course. Only bright spot were the musical numbers. Thank God they gave Christina Ricci some clothes near the end !

Mommy : Undoubtedly a hellacious display of bold filmaking ! Xavier Dolan is a man with a vision and he's definitely not afraid to take chances. The 1:1 format was a hazardous choice but nonetheless a great success, perfectly encapsulating the entrapment of the characters and amplifying their overwhelming emotions. Remarkable performances and fitting soundtrack were big assets and the montages were quality as well, especially the sequences of Diana's daydreaming. The story was sometimes bordering into wild and manic territory with violent and prolonged confrontations but that's only a minor criticism for me. Challenging but very rewarding film !

Empire of Passion: This is basically a twisted and supernatural version of The Postman Always Rings Twice with a very distinctive ambient and an uncanny atmposphere achieved through a variety of phantasmagorical imagery. The earthy colourite, surreal tone and a deserted dark setting are just some of the characteristics I thoroughly appreciated. It's only a shame that director decided to incorporate wicked perversion with his artisty because Empire of Passion could've been one of the true greats. Nonetheless a great nomination which will as always receive some extra points from me because of its obcsurity.

Legend in my own mind

Barton Fink (1991)

I had watched this film previously in the late 90s and remember that I iiked aspects of it but overall it was all just a bit 'Coen'.

I was interested to see if my views had changed much.

Overall they hadn't. I am a bit older and have a greater appreciation for some levels of absurdity in some films but I have a low weird threshold. I generally want my films to make sense and that is where I often struggle with Joel and Ethan.

So much about the film was good. The stories were intriguing. I say stories as what I really do like about the Coens work is that it often 3 or 4 different stories stiched together in some sort of rough edged tapestry. I am also a huge fan of Turturro's acting and therefore there was plenty for me to love in the film.

And then the weirdness seems to irritate me to the point where I can no longer focus on what I like about the film but only see the negative.
It's like getting an incredible pizza and then someone goes and puts pineapple on it. The rest of the pizza is still great but it is totally spoiled by the pineapple and all I can focus on is how the pineapple ruined my pizza.

There are just too many weird and nonsensical scenes for me to ignore.

Such a shame.

Legend in my own mind

Mommy (2014)

Had heard mixed reviews about this film but was keen to watch it.

Overall I liked the film but felt that it fluctuated between the sublime and the ridiculous.

First thing to say is that it was superbly acted. I thought particularly the portrayals of Steve and Die were excellent, so much so that I found myself drifting to how awful it would be to live next door to these two

I did struggle with the ratio though. It was like I was watching it on my mobile phone and as much as I tried to ignore it, I was simply irritated. I get that Dolan was trying to be gritty and edgy but for me this aspect failed.

I found the relationship between Mother and son captivating, although I did genuinely laugh at times when they were shouting at each other.

Overall a heartfelt film, superbly acted ,about family and friendship, but it was ultimately let down by trying to be too clever with the ratio of the filming.

Legend in my own mind

Passengers (2016)

Watched this film when it was first released, and watched it again for this HoF.

I didn't enjoy it as much the second time, but that is probably down to having seen it fairly recently.

The film looks great, superb effects, it looks slick. Lawrence and Pratt look great and do a good job.

I was engrossed by the ethical dilemma and the whole 'What would I do?' deal but beyond that not much happens.

They like each other, they don't, they do... rinse and repeat.

Overall it's a decent film that could have been so much more.

With that said, Lawrence was superb in my opinion.

Though I had a few issues with my re-watch of Lone Star, I find it odd that not a lot, if any, people who watched it seemed to care much about what the story was about - the romance between siblings. All the sidetrack plot lines culminated to and illustrated the end scene with Chris Cooper and Elizabeth Pena's characters continuing on their forbidden love for one another.

Anyone? Bueller?....Frye?.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
It may be, @Joel that, besides the movie poster, the beginning of the movie seems to point you into the direction of Cooper's feelings about his father and when his dad became sheriff and how that may have gone down that the feelings that are introduced regarding Elizabeth Pena's character a short ways in. Making it feel more like a secondary story along with everyone else's.

Though I do believe the REAL issue here is:
what th' f@ck does @Sarge have against pineapple on his pizza?!?!
You are so dead me right now