The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Love The Maltese Falcon, would've definitely made my list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I thought Sarah and I would be the only ones who would have Song of the South on their list. I had it at #22. I can always watch my VHS of the Japanese laser disc - it looks far better than these videos do. I'll post what I said about it almost 10 years ago. Unfortunately YouTube took down the Tar Baby cartoon I posted, although they still have a darker video of the second half.

That's funny because I thought that I was going to be the only one who would have Song of the South on their list too. I'm glad that I was wrong. I didn't expect it to have much of a chance to make the countdown because I don't think enough people have seen it.

The Maltese Falcon is the noir that dreams are made of. Pioneer of the genre and arguably the greatest of them all, The Maltese Falcon is directly adapted from aDashiell Hamett's novel of the same name. Unparalleled dialogue combined with an effortlessly cool protagonist and memorable eccentric villains make this inherently entertaining directorial debut from John Huston an instant classic. I was hoping it would creep its way to the top spot but N0.4 is a solid place I guess.

Shame they left out the best part in the first video that Mark posted. More specifically, after Cairo regains consciousness and asks Spade to return him his gun. And than immediately pulls it on him once AGAIN. It's one of the best scenes in the film.

I don't particularly like the remaining films but I think Citizen Kane is by far the most deserving candidate for the crown spot.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
The final 3 films will be posted today. So if there is anyone on here who would like to take a guess as to which films they are (although I don't think that will be too hard to do) and where they placed, the time to do it is now.

~3~

Director: Orson Welles
Producer: Orson Welles
Distributor: RKO Pictures

616 Points - 30 Lists
(1st-8x; 2nd-6x; 3rd-2x;
4th; 5th; 6th-2x; 7th-3x; 9th; 10th; 11th; 14th-2x; 15th; 23rd)

~2~

Director: Carol Reed
Producer: Carol Reed, Alexander Korda & David O. Selznick
Distributor: British Lion Film Corporation

662 Points - 37 Lists
(1st-5x; 2nd-3x; 3rd-4x;
4th-5x; 5th; 6th-3x; 8th; 9th; 10-2x;
11th; 12th; 13th; 14-2x; 15th; 16th; 17th; 19th; 20th; 22nd; 24th)

~1~

Director: Michael Curtiz
Producer: Hal B. Wallis
Distributor: Warner Bros.

812 Points - 39 Lists
(1st-9x; 2nd-7x; 3rd-5x;
4th-6x; 5th-3x; 8th-2x; 10th; 11th-2x; 12th; 18th; 23rd; 24th)

Casablanca is a very well made film but i don't like it that much personally.

Citizen Kane was my #11. When i just started to get interested in film history when i was around 13 Kane came on tv once and i was nervous about watching it thinking it would be too complicated and probably boring due to its reputation. But nah outside of the things that make people call it the best film it's got outstanding performances a great script and a very interesting story, at the time i didn't understand it's technical or overall performance but i fell in love with it for those reasons. On rewatches i've came to appreciate those things too and it remains a favourite, also still my favourite of the six Welles i've seen.

The Third Man was my #1. Watched it because it was high on a few lists here, didn't expect that much from it and it completely blew me away. I think it's a complete masterpiece and love absolutely everything about it; the performances, (especially Welles obv) the script/story, the amazing visuals and yes even the zither

My never Made its:

My #25 and attempted one pointer was The Great Piggy Bank Robbery. Should have figured others would have voted for it, probably JJ at least. It might be my favourite piece of Animation; Bob Clampett was a genius and imo this was his best work. This is what i wrote about it:

The Great Piggy Bank Robbery

The reason i wanted to do this again is that i've been re-watching Bob Clampett's work for the first time in ages recently and i think he is my favourite Animation Director. He's usually quickly dismissed from the conversation because one of his most praised shorts: Coal Black and De Sebben Dwarfs (which is fantastically made) is horribly racist but the problem with that is that all of the classic short directors dabbled in racist or otherwise offensive cartoons; i think personally they are best viewed as a time capsule of a horrible time but nevertheless expertly made. Clampett's other work is so consistent it is absurd, he didn't make as much as Avery, Jones, Freleng, Hanna/Barbera, etc, but i don't think any of them came up with such a high percentage of greatness either personally.

Honestly i find it difficult to put into words how much i adore the animation in this short, if i get the chance i'll put together a post later with screenshots of exactly what i'm talking about. Seriously watch the first thirty seconds with Daffy, his hiding behind the mailbox then later poking just his eyes round it, his talking to us and even the movement of the mailman and the letters is absurdly fluid. I'm not going to complain about modern animation here because plenty of it i love but there's somthing about you knowing this was made by human beings with their hands that makes everything especially the flaws and imperfections so amazing compared to the push a button and generate a perfect image nowadays. Personally this era of Looney Tunes is my favourite Animation of all time because it is not perfect in the slightest; you could point out loads of weird animation defects in this episode if you cared to look at it frame by frame (i have with this short before and quite a few others) nowadays pretty much everything has moved at least partially to CGI which is fine to an extent because it often looks beautiful but personally i'd take the look of The Great Piggy Bank Robbery over any film that uses CGI; some of those are better in content but to me you can't beat the actual Animation (movement) in these cartoons.

Anyway i went off on one there haha. Daffy here is amazing, i've always heard arguments over what is better the more wacky Daffy (like here) or the mean Daffy (basically all of his most famous shorts); for me it's Sophie's Choice because the animation was always much better with the wacky one but the mean one probably has my favourite moments. Here is the wacky one utilized perfectly in my opinion. It's an extremely erratic collection of gags and i think the way they are presented they can never get old; a more balanced short has periods without jokes that decreases the total number of jokes; which is fine What's Opera Doc for example have periods that aren't that funny but are great anyway because of the music, drama, etc. The ones that remain funny always are ones like this that are chock full of jokes to the point that you can't really remember what is coming up, i mean the part with Daffy with the magnifying glass is what 1 minute, 20 seconds? Yeah, i think that part has more jokes in it than some episodes of comedy shows it loves, and i personally find it really funny so my laughing always makes me miss the further part of that scene. I remember Daffy following the footsteps up the wall and ceiling was my favourite 'breaking possibilities' scene when i was a kid; again it's coz of the animation it's just how seamless him going up the wall is when it could've been an awkward transition where you see his body (or the wall) moving on its side. The part with the enemies is just some of the best slapstick ever and some of the best animation too. Daffy de-materializing to exit the door in particular is fantastic.

Sorry if this is rambling, i can guarantee none of my other write-ups will be this length; this one means alot to me and is the main reason i started this up again. I personally think it is one of the greatest pieces of animation ever.
My #22 was Pursued. I blind nominated it for a Hall of Fame and really loved it. It's got tonnes of problems but so much great stuff as well, this is what i wrote about it:

Pursued

Finally watched my own nomination. Great film. Absolutely adored the visuals. I almost went with the Dailymotion copy that to be fair looked pretty good but i found a better one and it looked amazing. It's all thanks to the amazing locations they chose to shoot at as well as the stellar camerawork. There were a few scenes with really quick transitions that looked incredible, they were short but i thought they looked great for example: at the start there's one were it quickly flashes through some of Jebs childhood from when he first joined the Callum family until his horse is shot, and later there's quick flashes through the war from when he got shot to him lying in a hospital bed still dreaming about the war, really great stuff. The mix of western and noir was very interesting, you got the great outdoor shots and the interior scenes are giving as much attention. One of my favourite (couple of) scenes were the whole shooting at the dance part, everything there from the dancing to the shooting in the alley right through to the funeral. It all looked great.

Loved the story too, it was alot more dark and mysterious than i'm used to from films from this time. Then again the only other Raoul Walsh film i've seen is White Heat which is much the same. Mitchum was great, this was only the third performance of his i've seen i think but he's starting to become one of my favourite actors. One thing i read was that a problem some people had with this when it was just released was that they found Mitchums character unlikable. First off ignoring the fact that i don't think he actually needs to be likable in a film like this, i still don't understand why people wouldn't find him likable in some ways or at least deserving of enough sympathy/understanding not to completely hate him. Maybe it was just people were too used to straightforward, black and white either good or bad characters. There's a bit more to Jeb than that; everything about him is driven by his feelings of not belonging, being lied to, not knowing who he really is, etc, maybe these aren't things that everybody can relate to but i think they are at least solid explanations for some of his actions. Coming back from risking his life for the farm as a man and facing rejection from Adam and silence from Mah seemed to confirm this to him and made him completely turn. Unless the complaints are more directed towards Mitchums demeanor in which case i understand even less since alot of his praise as an actor comes from this while playing villains or morally questionable characters at least. I don't think Jeb is easy to pin down and i think the way he acts completely fits Jeb who is fairly untrusting and constantly on guard for obvious reasons. Another thing is that his mother brought him up under a 'you need to be a strong man of the house' type philosophy from some of the stuff she said; Adam was the same way he wasn't scared of Jeb and clearly resented him being seen as a war hero possibly because it made Jeb seem braver or tougher than him, this coupled with Jeb feeling like he was alone wouldn't have went well with him acting more remorseful or outright emotional in my opinion. That's largely how i saw Jeb anyway, i thought he was a great character. His stony-faced 'well if that's how things are then' confrontation with his mother and Thor after the verdict can be seen as bad acting or writing but i think it was the perfect embodiment of how he was brought up and also how he felt himself growing up.

My only real complaint is the dramatic shift in Thor to wanting to kill him. I understand why so it's not really about that it's more the dramatic shift in her performance, i wasn't crazy about the scene when she first tells her mum her plans; don't think Teresa Wright was good there, felt a bit too 'wicked witch of the west' like over the top to me. Otherwise Wright was good as well. One thing i probably should have disliked and i'll totally understand if others find it a problem is how disjointed the story is. It seems to start off on a clear direction to tell the story of what happened to Jeb and who is following him and why, then after Adams death it completely shifts into a romance/revenge plot that quickly resolves itself before we return to the main story for the ending. An odd way to tell a story but i personally thought it worked, it was at least worth it for that amazing finale. My god the music and visuals during that finale, it makes me not even care how convenient it was that he suddenly remembers what happened. Great ending.

I'm really glad this was the one i picked as i thought it was excellent. I'll understand if some of you have certain problems with it and i'm not even denying it has these problems but it personally really worked for me. Hope you guys like it as much as i did.
My #21 was The Miracle of Morgan's Creek. Was a random pick to give Sturges another shot after mixed feelings about Sullivan's Travels. Don't think there's anything remarkable about it i just found it very charming and fun.

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek

My second Sturges after Sullivan's Travels. Why the hell have i not heard this mentioned much? I kinda loved it, liked it alot more than Sullivan's Travels. I was expecting a screwball comedy but i wouldn't call this one, or at most i'd call this light-screwball as it's actually pretty down to earth despite being silly sometimes. Don't really know who they are but Eddie Brecken and Betty Hutton were great together, Brecken was really sweet the way he was so nervous, they kept falling back on the Norval stuttering joke; didn't bother me though as it worked for me it was very charming. I genuinely found it hilarious everytime Trudy's dad walked in at the wrong moment and thought Norval was treating his daughter wrong or whatever, William Demarest's performance as the dad was over the top and corny but again i found it charming in a lighthearted silly way. Trudy spent loads of the film crying and being awful to Norval yet i didn't dislike her or find her annoying, mostly due to Norval's overreactions and naivete, they worked very well together. Dunno what else to say really, maybe i was just in the perfect mood as there was quite a few things here that should have annoyed me but they didn't and i had a really good time watching it. Hope some members are thinking of checking this out for the Countdown, it was just a random pick for me and i'm glad i did as it has a chance of making my list.

My #19 was Paisan. I think it was by far the best of the four Rossellini's i watched, really powerful and beautiful movie IMO. My post about it is way too long to c+p here so here's a link if anyone is interested.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...29#post1665529

01. The Third Man
02. Letter From An Unknown Woman
03. The Shop Around The Corner
04. How Green Was My Valley
05. Notorious
06. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
07. His Girl Friday
08. The Maltese Falcon
09. Rebecca
10. Double Indemnity
11. Citizen Kane
12. Laura
13. Bambi
14. Day of Wrath
15. My Darling Clementine
16. Shadow of a Doubt
17. Meet Me In St. Louis
18. Red River
19. Paisan
20. Nightmare Alley
21. The Miracle of Morgan's Creek
22. Pursued
23. The Philadelphia Story
24. Pinocchio
25. The Great Piggy Bank Robbery

Thanks so much for hosting Vamp. You did an amazing job especially considering your personal circumstances

Casablanca would most likely have been my #1, it's a wonderful fillum imo.
Citizen Kane is good and might have made my list but I don't revere it like some do, really not a fan of the opening sequence for one.
Not watched The Third Man for many a moon so would have needed to rewatch that one.

Thanks for hosting SV, you did a great job and in extremely difficult circumstances too.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Citizen Kane - It's good, but it's not exactly Citizen Kane... Oh wait, yes it is. I had it at #15 and I never thought it would be that low but I've seen quite a few movies I liked better. Kane is some fantastic story telling.

The Third Man - my #10, a superb thriller that looks great.

Casablanca - not on my list. I suppose I really do have to rewatch it now...

Look at Third Man. Anyone else surprised by its placing?

Great job Vamp. Will share my list when I get home.

Letterboxd by average rating - https://letterboxd.com/camarel/list/...40s/by/rating/

Interestingly The Red Shoes is first, Blimp is also in the top ten that site really loves Powell & Pressburger. Kane is second, Casablanca fourth and The Third Man eighth.

Well, this is done. I have watched the last four picks, but enjoyable as they are, neither Casablanca nor The Maltese falcon were list-worthy to me. However I had the other two. Citizen Kane and The third man. Two strongly aesthetic films with impressive visuals, two amazing performances by Orson Welles, two absolute classics.

There's only one film from my list that couldn't make the top100:

Yellow sky (William A. Wellman, 1948)

One of the greatest westerns I have ever watched, a movie that through the roughness of its characters and the suffocating environment more than makes up for the lack of a soundtrack and displays some of the most tense scenes I remember in the genre.

This is how my list stands, then:

1. The great dictator (#11)
2. The treasure of the Sierra Madre (#7)
3. The Ox-Bow incident (#39)
4. The killers (#29)
5. Citizen Kane (#3)
6. I walked with a zombie (#51)
7. Fantasia (#20)
8. Rebecca (#10)
9. Double indemnity (#6)
10. Notorious (#15)
11. The shop around the corner (#19)
12. Laura (#12)
13. His girl Friday (#14)
14. How green was my valley (#40)
15. Kind hearts and coronets (#26)
16. Out of the past (#32)
17. The third man (#2)
18. Bycicle thieves (#9)
19. Rope (#8)
20. To be or not to be (#83)
21. Yellow sky ()
22. Dumbo (#36)
23. Letter from an unknown woman (#28)
24. My darling Clementine (#58)
25. Red River (#56)

Thank you for the effort brought with this thread, @SilentVamp, and specially after the hard moments you've been through. The final top looks amazing, though I still need to catch up with a lot of these titles, some of them being absolute classics I have postponed for too long.

My current numbers are 48/100. These may be the only 40s I really want to step out of, as soon as possible.