Best Fantasy Movie?

Tools    

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I saw the Princess Bride for the first time the other day, and I ment to post this then, but I'm lazy. Any suggestions as to what the best fantasy movie is? I have two pics.

My first would be the Adventures of Baaron Munchaseun(I can't spell). Had lots of great, memorable scenes in it. I love this movie. I don't see how anyone could not enjoy it.

My Second would be Ninja Scroll. Great, great, GREAT fantasy movie. If you don't know about it, it won't surprise me. One of the greatest Manga's, in my opinion. It follows one mans adventures in anceint Japan as he has to fight off demons and falls in love. Such a cool movie.

Runner ups: The Never Ending Story and The Princess Bride. Both very good.

The Princess Bride, what a great film. Haven't seen that for ages.

"My name is *something* Montoya. You killed my father, Prepare to die."

I'd have to put Labrynth in there, no doubt, and also LOTR. I know it hasn't been released yet, but so what.

I love the poison in a cup scene with Cary Elwes and the kidnapper--whatshisname.

Another fantasy film I like is LEGENDS--- I didnt like Tom Cruise. THought he was miscast but DARKNESS or NIGHT or MR. EXIL ---whatever he was supposed to be--was wonderfully played by Tim Curry. That FACE, those HORNS, those HOOVES, dem ABS---I dunno how they made him LOOK SO SCARY BIG in this picture!

Would THE Rocky Horror Picture Show qualify as a fantasy?

YES! Classic.

That villain thinks he's got him... but no! Little do we know that our hero has spent "several years building up a resistance to cyanide"...

The fight scene with Andre the Giant is pretty funny too.

I haven't seen Dungeons and Dragons - what's that like?

Naw man, it's iocaine powder. And Dungeons and Dragons looks like complete crap. Can you believe Jeremy Irons was in that? And who would have thought Marlon Wayans would lend his talents to such a shoddy product?

The Princess Bride is one of my all time favorites, but I wouldn't call it a Fantasy Movie. Its a classic no doubt, but it's just too campy. Campy movies belong in a genre all their own.

Legends was also good... very dark I thought, but entertaining.

Dungeons and Dragons was pure crap. I too like Jeremy Irons ALOT (Die Hard with a Vengeance). First of all the male lead was horribly cast. They didn't know who their demographic is. The guy they cast, I don't know his name, appeals more to girls and little kids because he's got such a baby face. Their demographic was people you see at comic book stores and magic the gathering tournaments. Long hair, creative facial hair, not caring too much about being squeaky clean like whats his name. They needed a male lead like Val Kilmer in Willow (good movie IMO - but the books sucked). Long black unkempt hair, dirty, permanent 5'oclock shadow. Someone who atleast looks like they're from that time period.

Secondly the plot was horrible. This isn't harry potter (no offense to harry potter... never read it or anything so who am I to say) don't make it geared so much to little kids. The dialogue was horrible as was the whole story. I'm not going to say the acting was horrible - its not the actor's faults they had horrible lines.

And what really pisses me off is that people will look at this movie and think the whole fantasy genre sucks.

What they need to do is take a proven story (Dragonlance) and make it into a movie. Making sure that Weis and Hickman (the authors) are involved in the screenplay.

Anyways... best fantasy movie?

Star Wars: A New Hope.

Star Wars, IMO, is not Sci-Fi. It is fantasy that takes place in a highly technological society. Star Trek is sci-fi, its based off science but taken to fictional limits. Star Wars isn't about science or technology, its about the force and the balance between good and evil. And that, my friends is fantasy.

Of course I have high hopes for LOTR too.

Also Dragonheart with Sean Connery's voice as Draco, the Last Dragon and Dennis Quaid. This one was too sad.

No arguments here that Rob Reiner's THE PRINCESS BRIDE is a mighty fine example of fantasy cinema, one of my favourite films for script, acting and technical brilliance....... NINJA SCROLL possibly my favourite anime ever next to Akira.

Anyway here is 10 of my fave fantasy films. (It really is a cult genre isnt it???)

Ray Haussens JASON & THE ARGONAUTS or SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER
Peter Yates KRULL
Ron Howards WILLOW
John Milius CONAN THE BARBARIAN.
Wolfgang Petersen's THE NEVERENDING STORY
ROBIN HOOD with Errol Flyn
Richard Donner's LADYHAWKE
John Boorman's EXCALIBUR
Albert Pyun's THE SWORD AND THE SORCERER
Don Coscarelli's BEASTMASTER

Animated
Ralph bashki's FIRE AND ICE
Gerald Potterton's HEAVY METAL
DARK WATER
PRINCESS MONOKE or SPIRITED AWAY

Mel Stuart's WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCLATE FACTORY count ???

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Top 5:

Harry Potter
LOTR
Princess Bride (If it counts)
Conan
Willow

Runner up:

Beastmaster

Mustn't forget DragonSlayer. Also Wizards (an old animated film) and Time Bandits. Hmm, would Watership Down, Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Wizard of Oz be considered fantasy films?

Originally Posted by Revenant
Mustn't forget DragonSlayer. Also Wizards (an old animated film) and Time Bandits. Hmm, would Watership Down, Picnic at Hanging Rock and The Wizard of Oz be considered fantasy films?

Nice call with WIZARDS and DRAGONSLAYER. WIZARD OF OZ is definetly fantasy, unsure on the others......personally i would say no.....Woudl THE VIKINGS be fantasy??

Suppose now is a good time to bring up the huge guilty pleasure that is Desmond Davis' CLASH OF THE TITAN's with Laurence Olivier.

Not to mention all of the Sinbad movies (you already listed the third).

TIME BANDITS! I forgot about that one! On my Top 5!

Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke), Fire & Ice, Krull, Willow and Conan the Barbarian are my favourites.

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by OllieO
YES! Classic.

That villain thinks he's got him... but no! Little do we know that our hero has spent "several years building up a resistance to cyanide"...

The fight scene with Andre the Giant is pretty funny too.

I haven't seen Dungeons and Dragons - what's that like?

D&D was absolute crap, one of the worst movies ever. Except for how funny some of the scenes were, especially one deleted scene, where they were supossed to be talking to a demon, who I believe was supposedto be CGI, but because it was never put in the movie he never got finished, so they put in a cardboard cut out for the like 3 min scene absolutly hilarious.

And I agree wih Yoda in the fact that I cannot believe Jeremy Irons was in it.

Oh...and my personal faves would have to be
LotR(whole trilogy)
Willow
Conan
Harry Potter
.....thats all I can think of
- Corey Taylor (2002)

Never conform, never compromise....
Originally Posted by aspen
The Princess Bride is one of my all time favorites, but I wouldn't call it a Fantasy Movie. Its a classic no doubt, but it's just too campy. Campy movies belong in a genre all their own.

Legends was also good... very dark I thought, but entertaining.

Dungeons and Dragons was pure crap. I too like Jeremy Irons ALOT (Die Hard with a Vengeance). First of all the male lead was horribly cast. They didn't know who their demographic is. The guy they cast, I don't know his name, appeals more to girls and little kids because he's got such a baby face. Their demographic was people you see at comic book stores and magic the gathering tournaments. Long hair, creative facial hair, not caring too much about being squeaky clean like whats his name. They needed a male lead like Val Kilmer in Willow (good movie IMO - but the books sucked). Long black unkempt hair, dirty, permanent 5'oclock shadow. Someone who atleast looks like they're from that time period.

Secondly the plot was horrible. This isn't harry potter (no offense to harry potter... never read it or anything so who am I to say) don't make it geared so much to little kids. The dialogue was horrible as was the whole story. I'm not going to say the acting was horrible - its not the actor's faults they had horrible lines.

And what really pisses me off is that people will look at this movie and think the whole fantasy genre sucks.

What they need to do is take a proven story (Dragonlance) and make it into a movie. Making sure that Weis and Hickman (the authors) are involved in the screenplay.

Anyways... best fantasy movie?

Star Wars: A New Hope.

Star Wars, IMO, is not Sci-Fi. It is fantasy that takes place in a highly technological society. Star Trek is sci-fi, its based off science but taken to fictional limits. Star Wars isn't about science or technology, its about the force and the balance between good and evil. And that, my friends is fantasy.

Of course I have high hopes for LOTR too.

Uh....yeah, I pretty much agree with everything you said...epsecially Dragonlance. I have only read the Chronicals Trilogy...oh but what a story. I would love to see those characters on the big screen.....especially one of my all-time favorite characters, and one I think anyone who has read the books will agree with..RAISTLIN, the young mage, who after almost being killed to obtain his power, in the end becomes a GOD.

One that has not been mentioned yet (How could I forget this one? ) and would be on the top of my fantasy film list is The Company of Wolves .

Fantasy is one of my favorite genres and you’ve all already named a lot of my favorites.. especially Lord of the Rings … but I’d like to add:

Edward Scissorhands
Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Yellow Submarine
Labyrinth
King Kong
Godzilla
Highlander
Masters of the Universe
(cheesy but fun)

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Legend (Ridley Scott)

I think it is the best. I've loved it ever since my first viewing.