SummerSlam

Tools    

Whew!!!

What an event! One of the best PPVs I've seen, no doubt about it. Quick rundown of my personal thoughts.

Christian v Storm
Good fight, as you'd expect, but I really hope that E and C don't stop being buddies as Edge turns into a cnut. I like their partnership.

6 man
I really dislike Bubba-Ray. His voice annoys me, his style of wrestling annoys me, the way he punches annoys me. I do like the APA though - I love watching "power" wrestlers (Albert would fall into this category too, of course).

Taj v X-Pac
Again, two very exciting wrestlers, another good fight with some good acrobatics.

Jericho v Rhyno
Jericho slipped off the ropes twice in this match, and he did it last week too. He needs to get some more grip on his soles. I hope that the kiss on Steph wasn't just a ploy for the match - if Y2J started wooing her that would be hilarious! (And a good feud set-up for HHH's return). I thought that Rhyno might have a thing for her...

RVD v Jeff
One of - if not the - best fights I've ever seen. They had really put some thought into innovation with the ladder, and I cringe at every bump they make. I'm with JR on this - I worry so much that they could end their careers in a second - I'd rather see the extreme less often but for another 10 years than twice a week for 3. But this match was phenomenal.

Undertaker and Kane v DDP and Kanyon
Nothing but a beating, as everyone knew it would be. I'm getting a litte tired of 'taker bringing Sara down to ringside every time now. It nearly always leads to a messed up fight. But with the cage, she was (marginally) safer, and the BoDs gave DDP what everyone hoped he'd get. It was funny watching Kane just sitting on the turnbuckle watching his brother beat the @#%$ out of DDP. Would have liked to have seen a tombstone, but oh well.

Austin v Angle
Angle got bust up well here - you could see him allowing his head to get rammed into the post rather than just faking it with his hand to make sure that he drew blood - good commitment. Again, annoying to see him get screwed, because a ref should play advantage, but oh well. That's how it goes. I'd rather have seen a more believable screwing, to be honest.

Booker v Rock
Booker's wrestling is improving, but it's still not good enough to be a WWF headliner. A fair match, but not brilliant. To be fair, they had a great card to top, and I can't see how they could have done it.

A great event, kick yourself if you missed it. Admittedly I'm knackered now (it finished at 1am) but it was worth it. The only thing that it missed was some T and A - normally they always stick some in PPVs, but Trish, Stacy and Torrie are all injured at the moment.

Thoughts?

I guess these are not sumo wrestlers. TAMIGOTCHI GRABS FATSOGAME & HURLS HIM INTO THE REFEREEEE!!!!

How does wrestling suck?

It angers me when people make such crude and bland statements without any evidence. No-one really thinks that it's real, everyone knows that, but you cannot deny the phenomenal athleticism of the wrestlers. That is what makes it exciting to watch. Not to mention the fact that it's sometimes actually quite funny - if you've seen The Rock or Jericho giving banter then you'd know what I mean.

Dont mind them, Ollie, I like wrestling too but only the sumo kind. Ive just never seen the flashy american style wrestlin you have on the telly. (I know who the rock is but Ive never heard of jericho.)

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I don't really think it sucks, I just never got into watching it. I use to watch a fair amount of UFC though. That stuff was cool.

all wrestling is , and i am talking about WWF not like college wrestling like in gym or something, is a waste cause, all it is jumping on each other , beating each other up with chairs and crap and wrestlers thinking their cool yet they are total a**holes. all that stuff.

I use to watch a fair amount of UFC though
Yeah, I'm a vale tudo man. I've got UFCs 1-5, a couple of EFCs, WVCs etc. Great to watch. I train in vale tudo, as well as judo and wrestling, so I've got a fair understanding of what's going on in there.

jrs1013 - that was one of the most incomprehensible sentences I've ever read. And even if I managed to translate it correctly into mildly accurate English I don't think that it actually has any arguments.

Why not try again?

I think it's hilarious in UFC that Royce Gracie won so many times by using the power of the mind over braun. Gracie is what? 170 pounds maybe. Very thin. He used science (leverage etc) to beat out some 400lb muscle heads. I, myself was a powerlifter and used to think myself indestructible until I saw this little guy.

[quote]Originally posted by OllieO

jrs1013 - that was one of the most incomprehensible sentences I've ever read. And even if I managed to translate it correctly into mildly accurate English I don't think that it actually has any arguments.

Why not try again?
Ok, maybe I haven't used capitals well enough and whatnot. I was in a hurry. As in argument wise .....my point was clearly stated. WWF Wrestling is just that - moronic. A**holes like I said acting like idiots attacking other idiots with either chairs or other objects and God knows what else. To me it's a waste of time . Some say it's a sport. I can see yeah, at school gym but that ....that is ridiculous.

I like Greeko roman wrestling, especially that huge Russian guy who carries logs while he trains.

I, myself was a powerlifter and used to think myself indestructible until I saw this little guy
What were your poundages? My best are (at age 21):

Bench: 305
Squat: 360
Deadlift: 420

Nothing major, but not bad.

A**holes like I said acting like idiots attacking other idiots with either chairs or other objects and God knows what else.
If you really believe that they are a**holes then they must be doing a pretty good job of acting. If you ask me they're phenomenal athletes, and mike skills are important to go a long way - look at the technical excellence of Jeff Hardy, who has bad mike skills, compared to the great banter that the Rock has while not being - perhaps - as exciting to watch.

It's not real, you know... People that say it's a sport are wrong - it's sports entertainment with stuntmen. It's not the same as Olympic wrestling!

I think that you've exposed quite a lot of ignorance of professional wrestling, and you should perhaps find some good reasons why it's so bad if you want to continue having this discussion. Most people find it quite entertaining to watch people hitting other people with chairs.

I like Greeko roman wrestling, especially that huge Russian guy who carries logs while he trains
I think you mean Alexander Karelin - a real legend in Russia, a member of Parliament, and undefeated for 10 years until the last Olympics when he lost by one point (that's just one position of advantage) to some American farm boy. A real upset. He really is a scary man. Huge, trains in Siberia, and is very, very, hard.

AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!

YEAH, thats him, Karelin!! I wuz so pissed when he lost to whatshisname. WOW, what a monster & his wife is so little. I saw an Olympic thing on him & he sounds like a real nice guy. Is he retired, Ollie?

I also like the little turkish weightlifter, Name Sulemanolu, or somethin that sounds like that. I either like the little dudes or the biggies like Chemerkin.

Bench 420
Squat 510
Deadlift 500
Good lifts . I'm basically taking next year off from lifting as I've got officer training, but after that I've got the usual 300 / 400 / 500 goal (well, one third of the way there ).

Ah, the Reverse Body-lift - he's the only heavyweight that can pull it off. I think he's retired - here's his official site:

http://www.karelin.ru/

"I think that my fourth Olympiad in Sydney is my last one in my sports career. There are good guys in national team who can be my successors and become prizemen of European, World championships and Olympic Games."

Don't know if that means he just can't see himself still wrestling until 2004, but I think I heard he was going to retire.

Ever heard of Anthony Clark? He's a powerlifter... first man to ever bench over 700lbs. His current lifts (bench) are in the 800lb range. His gym is two blocks from my house. I've had the pleasure of working out next to him. You can see his 800lb presses etc on http://www.anthonyclark.com. I should be doing a lot more.. I have not been focusing on power for too long.

Any sport where gigantic men push old women off balconies and throw them through tables, is funny.

Yeah, I've heard of Anthony Clark. Awesome strength.
Wierd that he benches reverse grip!

On the WWF thread again, have you heard of Mark Henry? World PL champ that moved into pro-wrestling, but is taking some time off to improve his timing and speed at the moment.

My strength training has really slowed down recently as I've been focusing on my running and conditioning for the army.

I hang out over at the Garage Gym - it's pretty cool, they're into good lifting ( http://pub13.ezboard.com/fgaragegymi...forumgaragegym ) and I used to lurk at Bulk and Power.