The Suggestions Thread

Tools    

Heyyyyyy: any suggestions for the new site? I know you've heard me talk about a new site before, but I swear that this time, it's really, really, really going forward, and it's easily 20 times better than what I had planned half a year ago -- honestly!

What would mess this site up? What does it need to have? The whole thing is being re-done (the layout is nearly finalized! It's really something!), so now is the time to make suggestions...or forever hold your peace.

How about a spell checker?
And avatars.

I like box office reports, I don't know about anybody else. What's Dr Jones? You could have a calendar with release dates for both theatre and rentals. It would be a lot of work to keep updated tho, but you could have links to pre-order and buy new releases from Amazon. That would make you some money for the work. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/su...443685-5979137

Check out http://www.martial-arts.com/store/videos/index.html for an example. I think Amazon does all the layout. The page just opens up in a frame so it looks like part of the site. Click on one of the movies.

I'm too sleepy to think right now.

Yup, I'm already an Amazon affiliate, so links like that will be around here somewhere. It's funny you should mention the Calendar idea: I had the exact same idea. The new version of this forum comes with a built-in calendar...it'd be ideal for keeping track of new theatre releases and such!

How's about a Directing thread?

Yeah, that

Yeah, that might be a good idea. There's been a surge of directing-related threads recently...but not enough to warrant a whole forum. Perhaps I'll merge it with another subject.

A friend of mine told me that she thinks swearing is only used to cover up holes in an argument. I'm not sure I agree. Now, I'm not a supporter of gratuitous cursing, but sometimes it does enhance arguments, for the better.

I was wondering, if you would consider some sort of button on the site where you could turn the swearing on and off...like I think you should still edit all the F-words, but others will show up if you press this thing.

This is just a suggestion, to be honest I don't mind the site the way it is now. But on occasion I find that cursing is a necessary evil, if you will. What do you think?

It's an interesting idea. It might require some "hacking" of the vBulletin code, though. I'll have to think about it. I guess s**t is the one word that is below "f**k" but still not acceptable? I guess "g****mn is another. Oh, and I too agree that swearing can be useful at times.

Lol!

Actually, that filter idea is pretty cool.
Hey, how about Quicktime movie clips?

You mean like trailers? If that's what you mean, then it is a possibility, but it would probably eat up a buttload of bandwidth. It'd probably be better to just link to some others elsewhere.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Ok, I think that the site should become more than just a forum site. Opening it up to Music Reviews, Movie, Television, everything! Also have with that. The trailers to upcoming movies, keep the forum around, but have a thing like www.ewonline.com has, where you have one person write a review for the movie and people can react to that review as they please. It would basically be like the forums you have now, so now that I think about it, it's not really worth it. An online store would be nice, but instead of buying it from your site you would be directing them towards like Amazon, or Best Buy. You gotta open yourself up to more than just movies or it's not gonna be as big as it could. This could be an awesome site if it wasn't just a forum!!!
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Don't worry, I'm thinking the same was as you! Here are the things that I DEFINITELY plan to have for the re-launch:
  • Movie reviews. Users registered for the forums will be able to comment on the reviews...just to say if they agree or disagree. They should still post "full" reviews on the forums.
  • Movie news. Pretty simple and standard, and as usual, users will be able to comment on them.
  • Box Office reports. Every single weekend, I'll be adding B.O. numbers. I'm also thinking of tracking my predictions against that of a rival site of sorts, BoxOfficeGuru.com. That site kinda ticks me off...I find I can predict the numbers as well as he can, but I'm not calling myself a guru.
  • Interesting links. Speaks for themselves. Active members can have their own sites here, too.
  • DVD section! Yup, you heard right. Listings of DVDs, their features, pricing, easter eggs (hopefully), and other such things. This will take awhile to build. User comments will likely be present, as usual.
  • CONSTANT CONTESTS! Thanks to the generosity of one of our old-time regulars, I've got a ton of slightly-used (all in good condition, of course) VHS tapes I can give away. There are TONS, so I can run contests pretty often.
  • Tournaments! These include both movie trivia, and tournaments where MovieForums creates it's own lists, ala AFI's Top 100 Whatever Movies.
Everyone cool with all of those? As for music, TV, and video games: I do own domain names I could use for music and video games, but I want to move forward with this site before branching out. Don't wanna put a lot of time into a formula I havn't tested yet.

Any thoughts on this list of features? Keep it all coming!

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Well, why not put it all under one domain name. Less to type Makes Fingers Happy!!! DVD Section very cool!! I would love to help out with that. Everything else is looking good!!

Well, obviously I can't put Music, TV, and Video Games under the domain MovieForums.com. I'll consider other areas, but I'm afraid they'll be way down the line, for now. Movies are what I enjoy most, and it's difficult to put a lot of work into a subject you're not nuts about.

I like those ideas about the spolier stuff and the automatic way in which the cursing would be taken out.

For the news I'm sure you could hook up with a feed from http://www.moreover.com/ or something.

The rest sounds good too.