Who is the better director
19.05%
4 votes
Cameron
80.95%
17 votes
Fincher
21 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I would agree with that, there are betters but not a very large amount of them. But speaking of what I enjoy, I personally have Fincher and Nolan as my favorites besides Marty and Spielberg (and Coppola tied for a a 2nd place) so agree to disagree.

So, someone like Malick or PTA who are more artistic? Scorsese's lastest films were pretty strong though.
Malick and PTA maybe, but personally I would look a bit further afield than that for the best directors working today, I didn't really want to name names but since you asked: Directors like Andrey Zvaginstyev, Lars von Trier, Alfonso Cuaron, Celine Sciamma, Hirokazu Koreeda, Andrea Arnold, Michael Haneke, Darren Arronofsky, Chang Dong Lee, Park Chan Wook, Bong Joon-Ho, Xavier Dolan, Lynn Ramsay, Pawel Pawlikowski, Rueben Ostlund, Claire Denis, Nuri Bilge Ceylan. Those are guys who, to me, seem to understand the medium and how to make it beautiful, more than most.

That's a stupid statement, but I would say that DiCaprio is one of the best actors working today, with range and a very solid filmography. He's no DeNiro or DDL but I think he'll get a bit below them at the end of his career, like top 20.
He probably is one of the best but because he's bloody good, not because of profits at the box office.

To extrapolate a bit, The argument here was that the guy really disliked Dicaprio, but said he was considered the best actor in Hollywood due to his box-office draw etc. Most of his arguments would degenerate into just so much number-crunching, with the quality of the film or the acting work being disregarded for box-office stats. If not the same guy, sounds like he was cut from the same cloth.
That's nuts. Makes it sound like de Caprio has the same remit as the Warner Bros Marketing Director.

Malick and PTA maybe, but personally I would look a bit further afield than that for the best directors working today, I didn't really want to name names but since you asked: Directors like Andrey Zvaginstyev, Lars von Trier, Alfonso Cuaron, Celine Sciamma, Hirokazu Koreeda, Andrea Arnold, Michael Haneke, Darren Arronofsky, Chang Dong Lee, Park Chan Wook, Bong Joon-Ho, Xavier Dolan, Lynn Ramsay, Pawel Pawlikowski, Rueben Ostlund, Claire Denis, Nuri Bilge Ceylan. Those are guys who, to me, seem to understand the medium and how to make it beautiful, more than most.

He probably is one of the best but because he's bloody good, not because of profits at the box office.
I like Malick but he's FAR from being of my favorites, his post-TTOL work is atrocious on every single measurable level. His first 5 films are pretty good and have amazing cinematography though. So while I get what you say, I don’t think that makes you on par with people such as Coppola and Spielberg.

I like Arronofsky, Cuaron and Park-Chan Wook out that list, ill check some of the others.

Yeah, I agree with that.

I like Malick but he's FAR from being of my favorites, his post-TTOL work is atrocious on every single measurable level. His first 5 films are pretty good and have amazing cinematography though. So while I get what you say, I don’t think that makes you on par with people such as Coppola and Spielberg.

I like Arronofsky, Cuaron and Park-Chan Wook out that list, ill check some of the others.

Yeah, I agree with that.
Love me a bit of Park Chan Wook

Love me a bit of Park Chan Wook

This is off topic but Joint Security Area is solid, Handmaiden is great, Oldboy is a masterpiece and I like both vengeance movies.

Haven’t seen the rest of his filmography but he’s a great director. On par with Bong John Hoo.

This is off topic but Joint Security Area is solid, Handmaiden is great, Oldboy is a masterpiece and I like both vengeance movies.

Haven’t seen the rest of his filmography but he’s a great director. On par with Bong John Hoo.
The Handmaiden my favourite of his.

Yeah, he’s pretty great as you can see with my ratings. I think they’re all great films and he has like 1 good movie snd 2 that I don’t like. The only movie I don’t like is Panic Room but I’ll try the assembly cut of Alien 3 tomorrow since you reminded me.

The theatrical seemed an unfinished product, and really does not feel like a Fincher film and the fact he did Se7en just after makes the production issues more evident than his flaws as a filmmaker.
Count me in as another supporter of the Assembly Cut of Alien3. Just bear in mind that, like the name suggests, it was "assembled" by, I think the editor and some other crew member, from unused footage and cut scenes without the involvement of Fincher. Because of that, there are some incongruencies, I think, but it is definitely superior to the Theatrical Cut which, like you said, feels "unfinished" and chopped up.

But yeah, Fincher's production woes during that film are well documented. He abandoned the film during post-production, after constant clashes with the studio, and he doesn't even list it among his films.

Count me in as another supporter of the Assembly Cut of Alien3. Just bear in mind that, like the name suggests, it was "assembled" by, I think the editor and some other crew member, from unused footage and cut scenes without the involvement of Fincher. Because of that, there are some incongruencies, I think, but it is definitely superior to the Theatrical Cut which, like you said, feels "unfinished" and chopped up.

But yeah, Fincher's production woes during that film are well documented. He abandoned the film during post-production, after constant clashes with the studio, and he doesn't even list it among his films.
I know about that, and honestly it really does not feel like a Fincher film. I'll give it a watch next week.

His streak after it was pretty solid though.

A system of cells interlinked
I know about that, and honestly it really does not feel like a Fincher film. I'll give it a watch next week.

His streak after it was pretty solid though.

Just be aware that while the narrative flow has been significantly improved in The Assembly Cut, and now actually makes sense, there is at least one scene where they couldn't salvage the original audio, so it becomes tough to hear certain lines etc. It's a rough cut, to be sure, but is still miles better than the theatrical, which says a lot.

Just be aware that while the narrative flow has been significantly improved in The Assembly Cut, and now actually makes sense, there is at least one scene where they couldn't salvage the original audio, so it becomes tough to hear certain lines etc. It's a rough cut, to be sure, but is still miles better than the theatrical, which says a lot.
I kinda enjoyed it, far better than the theatrical but some issues are still here.

The ending is totally changed btw, but atleast it fixes some unexplained moments and becomes a more complete film:

A system of cells interlinked
I kinda enjoyed it, far better than the theatrical but some issues are still here.

The ending is totally changed btw, but atleast it fixes some unexplained moments and becomes a more complete film:
Agree. Still a flawed flick, but...

WARNING: "Alien 3 - Assembly Cut" spoilers below
at least some of the plotlines with a couple of the characters have a complete arc, and I enjoyed some of the more epic shots outside at the beginning with the work crew and the Ox, which were cut when they decided to go with the the dog instead. Also enjoyed the sequence where they catch the alien mid-film and it gets let out by one of the convicts.

Agree. Still a flawed flick, but...

WARNING: "Alien 3 - Assembly Cut" spoilers below
at least some of the plotlines with a couple of the characters have a complete arc, and I enjoyed some of the more epic shots outside at the beginning with the work crew and the Ox, which were cut when they decided to go with the the dog instead. Also enjoyed the sequence where they catch the alien mid-film and it gets let out by one of the convicts.
He did his best considering all the troubles during production.