A Song For January

Tools    

Captain Spaulding takes another breather but resopamenic, John-Connor and CaptainT all re-enter via the revolving door

1. Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now
2. Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
3. Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
4. Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (acoustic)
5. David Bowie - Life On Mars?
6. Akua Naru - Sweat
7. Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses
8. Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
9. Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
10. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
11. CHAI - N.E.O.
12. King's X - Prisoner
13. Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds

1. Radiohead - Street Spirit
  2. King's X - Prisoner
  3. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
  4. Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere
  5. CHAI - N.E.O.
  6. Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses
  7. Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
  8. David Bowie - Life On Mars?
  9. Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
  10. Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now
  11. Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
  12. Akua Naru - Sweat

1. David Bowie - Life On Mars?

2. Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner

3. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization (mostly for the Fallout 3 association)

5. Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now

6. CHAI - N.E.O.

7. Jorja Smith - Blue Lights

8. Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick

9. Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses

10. Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)

11. Akua Naru - Sweat

12. King's X - Prisoner

1. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
2. CHAI - N.E.O.
3. Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
4. Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
5. Akua Naru - Sweat
6. David Bowie - Life On Mars?
7. Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses
8. King's X - Prisoner
9. Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds
10. Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
11. Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
12. Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (acoustic)
13. Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now

Not my most favouritest round ever I have to say

2. Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere
  3. Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
  4. Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
  5. Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses
  6. Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
  7. Akua Naru - Sweat
  8. CHAI - N.E.O.
  9. Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now
  10. Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
  11. King's X - Prisoner
  12. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization

My R5 nom:
Jambo - Try

A system of cells interlinked
1 David Bowie - Life On Mars?
2 King's X - Prisoner
3 Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
4 Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds
5 Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
6 Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
7 Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
8 Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now
9 Akua Naru - Sweat
10 CHAI - N.E.O.
11 Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (acoustic)
12 Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
13 Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses

Brutal round...

01: Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds
Despite ripping-off most of their music from various more established bands, Seven Spire's new album is damn entertaining. This song? Well, a Youtube comment was rather spot on when calling it Cradle of Borgir
02: David Bowie - Life On Mars?
03: Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
04: Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
05: Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses
06: Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (acoustic)
07: Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
08: Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
09: King's X - Prisoner
10: Akua Naru - Sweat
11: Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
12: CHAI - N.E.O.
13: Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
All voted so without further ado....

1st - Yola - Faraway Look (87 pts)

Grats to Captain Spaulding on getting another tune through to the Final

Congratulations @Captain Spaulding!

Grats to Captain Spaulding on getting another tune through to the Final .
My nominations almost never advance to the final. Same goes for gbg. Yet so far we're 3 for 3. Strange things are afoot in this tournament.

Round 5 nom:
Billy Joe Shaver - Live Forever

Zero chance this one advances, but I couldn't pick a more fitting song to pay respect to one of the many legends we lost in 2020.

My nominations almost never advance to the final. Same goes for gbg. Yet so far we're 3 for 3. Strange things are afoot in this tournament.
Well, at least I'm still holding my own and not getting a song even at a shooting distance of the finals. Seems people here disagree with my music taste even more than my taste in movies

R5 nomination:
Solitude Aeturnus - Mirror of Sorrow

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
1) Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses
2) Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
3) Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (acoustic)
4) Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
5) Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
6) Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
7) David Bowie - Life On Mars?
8) Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now
9) Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick

10) Akua Naru - Sweat (The link for this video had the message "Video unavailable. This video is not available.", so I used this video instead.)

11) King's X - Prisoner
12) CHAI - N.E.O.
13) Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds

I'm too tired to choose a song to nominate right now, so I'll try to get back online early enough tomorrow to post my nom for the next round.

Let the night air cool you off
2. Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
3. Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses
5. Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner
6. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
7. Jorja Smith - Blue Lights
8. King's X - Prisoner
9. Akua Naru - Sweat
10. Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds
11. Radiohead - Street Spirit (Fade Out)
12. Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now
13. CHAI - N.E.O.

My thoughts as I listened:

Uncle Tupelo: I just recently listened to the good Uncle's debut album while I was on the elliptical. They are a big name among underground/alt country music fans, but a pretty big blind spot for me. I want to check that scene out a little more. I know we live in an unjust world, so complaining about certain deserving individuals not getting the shine they deserve is futile, but these guys clearly deserve to be known much more than they are. This is the same type of stuff Kristofferson was doing.

Ashley McBryde: As much as I love bad bitches in country music, I still haven't gotten into Ms. McBryde. She's great on this track. It feels real and honest. Performing it solo acoustic like this adds a layer of vulnerability that works really well with a lot of female country singers. I can't remember the exact song that I am thinking of, but this reminds me a little bit of one of the Caitlyn Smith songs I'm a fan of.

Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters: Probably heard this a hundred times playing Fallout and never knew what it was. It's campy, but entertaining as hell. It really sounds like ol' Danny says "uncivilized bitches" but I guess he says "pictures". Reminds me of how my brother thought that Brenda Lee said "Later we'll have some f*cking pie" when she in fact was planning on eating pumpkin pie.

Ava Max: There is something here, don't know what it is. It suffers from what a lot of pop music suffers from though, as it doesn't feel authentic in any way. One of my thoughts while listening to this was that I would be willing to bet a lot of people wrote this song. Yep six writers.

Led Zeppelin: My nom. Bonzo beats the sh*t out of the drums. Everybody plays their machines well. This is my favorite track from Zep II.

Radiohead: Never really been able to get into Radiohead. I think "Creep" is a great song, but that seems more like an anomaly to me than anything else. Radiohead is the epitome of okay to me. This song is okay. Whatever Radiohead is missing it's not the same thing as Ava Max. I do believe these guys, they feel authentic. But I guess their stuff is supposed to be pretty depressing, but the only time they get me on their side is "Creep". Maybe because it is so in your face and abrasive, and the self-pity in that song is also manifesting as anger instead of only wallowing and moaning about. Okay song that doesn't click for me.

King's X: Don't guess I know anything about these guys. This is pretty solid, maybe even pretty good if I were to give closer inspection. I'm here for the solo.

Jim Reeves: Not much to say here other than this is really good stuff.

Seven Spires: I love how f*cking goofy this aesthetic is. Which is how I feel about most metal stuff. Metal goofiness is kind of an impediment to my enjoyment. I think I'd enjoy it more if it didn't seem like a bunch of edgelord nerds cosplaying. This choir (?) in the background sounds good. That one dude has a long neck in the video. It's better than bad, but not that much better than alright.* *Allow me to issue a disclaimer about this statement I just made. I'm only speaking for myself, I don't mean for this to sound inflammatory or in judgment of someone else's taste. I'm sure there's plenty of stuff I like that others would find to be low-brow or of inferior quality.

Akua Naru: Never heard of Akua Naru. The best compliment I can give right now about this song is that there is enough depth in the lyrics that I'm sure I missed a whole lot in it. I did hear a "cracker" in there, which is obviously not as bad as using the N-word as a derogatory term. I do think in can clash with a message of a song, but I wouldn't protest the usage of the word. I'd also need to read the lyrics of the song for more context. And I agree with Akua Naru, slavery f*cking sucked. Obviously.

David Bowie: Yeah, David Bowie was pretty good. He had to be pretty good to get over while looking that atrocious.

Jorja Smith: I'm not entirely in love with this song (yet) but it's this type of pop song-writing I can get behind. Enough depth to it, that it could require a little looking into to know what everything means. Sirens are provocative, so using that terminlogy and production using sounds that invoke sirens are a good way to get your attention. Good usage of sampling on the track as well. This track feels authentic in the way a pop song can, as in it feels like the majority of this track was written by one person, but I can see that there are several writing credits here too. One of them, at least, are credits for the dude whose song was sampled though. I don't guess I know how song credits are given anymore, so maybe I should retract my statement about the Ava Max song.

CHAI: grating.

Let the night air cool you off
Led Zeppelin - Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

I swear I'll eventually stop nominating Zeppelin songs, but it's what I'm listening to right now. Zeppelin writing songs about women usually weren't the most loving tributes. Even the ones that are actually loving fail to capture the easy-going, genuine joy Robert Plant seemed to get from his dog. He says it himself "Ain't no companion like a blue-eyed Merle".

Round 4

One of the greatest songs ever written.

2. Led Zeppelin - Moby Dick
Always loved this Led Zep track.

3. Akua Naru - Sweat
Discovered her music and poetry about 2 months ago and I'm quite in love. Her mix of hip hop, jazz and Africa is sublime. The first song I heard of hers is called "My Mother's Daughter". Almost went with that but thought it might be too jazz-heavy for everyone...

4. CHAI - N.E.O.
I had no business liking this as much as I did, lol. That was fun! I think this is going on my ever growing new **** playlist.

5. Radiohead - Street Spirit
Radiohead's definitely a band I like a lot.

6. Danny Kaye & The Andrews Sisters - Civilization
I like The Andrews Sisters...never heard this one before.

7. King's X - Prisoner
I've never listened to King's X but I've heard of them. Kind of wish it were heavier.

8. Ashley McBryde - Girl Goin' Nowhere (acoustic)

9. Seven Spires - Drowner of Worlds
I also agreed with that youtube comment mentioned.

10. Uncle Tupelo - Moonshiner

11. Jim Reeves - Room Full of Roses

12. Jorja Smith - Blue Lights

13. Ava Max - Who's Laughing Now