The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Nights of Cabiria
La Dolce Vita
Juliet of the Spirits

Amarcord is probably the most densely Felliniesque film, and should be considered simply because of this.
I love all these movies, and probably Amarcord most of them, but even though it doesn't represent this, my favorite side of Fellini, I'd say everyone absolutely has to see La Strada as it is an unqualified masterpiece.

Gosh I hated Blazing Saddles, then again I can't stand Airplane! either.
Maybe I'm in the wrong forum!! My god...

Blazing Saddles and Airplane! are not in the same league though, with the former far better IMO. Either way, these are films that - like all great comedies - really need to be seen with an audience. I was extremely fortunate about 10 years back to see a screening of Blazing Saddles with Mel Brooks present and it was a singular experience I'll never forget. Even before that though, it was one of my favorite films ever. Not on the list but it would be high on a comedy only list.

I love Mel Brooks and I find Airplane to be dreadful. Don't ask me to explain it. I'm just a complicated guy I guess.
It's totally understandable. They are not in the same league of quality. Plus Mel Brooks has charm and feeling. Airplane! is just a gag factory.

I love all these movies, and probably Amarcord most of them, but even though it doesn't represent this, my favorite side of Fellini, I'd say everyone absolutely has to see La Strada as it is an unqualified masterpiece.

I think I watched La Strada in a bad mood or something. I didn't dislike it, but I was just left cold. It is an opinion that I can feel is wrong even as I type it, but what can you do?

I'll revisit one of these days.

American Beauty was the first thing I thought of with the flower clue, but I was hoping enough time had passed that it had dropped off a collective Top 100 and if I didn't name it out loud it would not manifest itself. Alas.

American Beauty was #24 on the MoFo '90s List while West Side Story was #28 on the MoFo '60s List.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

It's totally understandable. They are not in the same league of quality. Plus Mel Brooks has charm and feeling. Airplane! is just a gag factory.
Blazing Saddles was much better than Airplane! (gosh I hate that exclamation point in the title)

I'd be seriously furious if that made the list! xD
I don't even know if I seen it. Is that the one with a 10 year old Darth Vader? If so I hated it. Then again I'm not a fan of Star Wars, except the first three which were fun.

I guessed that movie because it was filmed in part in Dubai, and Dubai has what's called a 'blooming tower' which was Yoda's cryptic hint.

I think I watched La Strada in a bad mood or something. I didn't dislike it, but I was just left cold. It is an opinion that I can feel is wrong even as I type it, but what can you do?

I'll revisit one of these days.
It's easier to appreciate than love, definitely. It's a dark, dark film, and I'd pick any of the others on pure enjoyment, but I still admire it greatly

It's that lack of personal connection and almost cold indifference to its audience that I think I love about Airplane. It just keeps churning one joke after another, unconcerned if all of them will land. Because of course they all won't. But it keeps churning regardless. And after my millionth rewatch, sometimes one of those gags that landed with a thud suddenly wins me over. I find it funny in different ways every time I see it, and I think its because it isn't catering to one viewpoint or one ultimate thesis like Blazing Saddles (which is of course also great, for different reasons). It just crams every opening it can find with nonsense, while at the same time, never breaking the seriousness of its surface. It's confoundingly perfect in all its imperfections.

If it's not my favorite comedy, it's at least my second favorite.

I just looked at your Top 10 and you have some really great films there, so yup you're in the right place
Maybe just the wrong comedy place! But then, comedy is more subjective than drama, I think.

The crazy part is there's a film in there that didn't make my top 25 - it should have, but I didn't realize the list was a thing until the deadline day and rushed it out. Poor Orpheus.

I'm not sure how anyone could confidently cite a one-time watch as a top-25 favorite, especially when you consider how many films most of us have seen. For me, re-watchability is by far the most important criteria when determining favorites. There's been a ton of films I thought were great on a first watch and would've cited as potential favorites, only to re-watch them and discover that they'd already peaked with that initial viewing. (Most often that seems to happen with plot-heavy films that offer no surprises or hidden layers on re-watches.) Whereas a surprisingly high percentage of my biggest favorites are films that I didn't love on a first viewing, or felt underwhelmed by in some sense, only to find myself drawn back to them again and again, each new re-watch more enriching than the last.
Like I said before, I also value rewatchability quite a bit when coming up with favorites. Now, if the three I've only seen once come up on the list, I'll say more, but I suppose it's something that you feel about certain films. Those three I put in there were films that really blew me away as I was watching them and have stuck with me a lot.

American Beauty, not on my list, but I'm so glad MoFo decided to honor Kevin Spacey's greatest film. I was really afraid people wouldn't vote for his films because of his controversy.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2020-12-17 09-00-29.png
Views:	72
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	70271  

It's that lack of personal connection and almost cold indifference to its audience that I think I love about Airplane. It just keeps churning one joke after another, unconcerned if all of them will land. Because of course they all won't. But it keeps churning regardless. And after my millionth rewatch, sometimes one of those gags that landed with a thud suddenly wins me over. I find it funny in different ways every time I see it, and I think its because it isn't catering to one viewpoint or one ultimate thesis like Blazing Saddles (which is of course also great, for different reasons). It just crams every opening it can find with nonsense, while at the same time, never breaking the seriousness of its surface. It's confoundingly perfect in all its imperfections.

If it's not my favorite comedy, it's at least my second favorite.
Don't get me wrong, I love Airplane! I think Airplane! gets a lot of unfair flack because it started the trend of a lot of movies trying and failing badly to do what it did, tainting the whole enterprise. There's nothing wrong with a gag factory though, its just down to taste how important that personal connection is to you. To me, its why I love Blazing Saddles far more. Now, if you'd asked me when I was 13...

American Beauty made my top 10 and is the 2nd I voted for to make it after The Apartment. I did think it would make it as it's in a few top 10s of active members plus it made it before without my 20 points. Saw it at the cinema with future wifey and we both loved it, and have seen it several times since. Lester Burnham is one of my favorite characters with Kevin Spacey giving one of my favorite performances. I can't think of another character who shows those types of feelings at that point in their life with more accuracy. I relate to him in a big way. The only thing I don't like about him is his pursuit of a girl in high school. I wait til they get into college.

I did not like West Side Story one bit but I've only tried it once.

Maybe just the wrong comedy place! But then, comedy is more subjective than drama, I think.

The crazy part is there's a film in there that didn't make my top 25 - it should have, but I didn't realize the list was a thing until the deadline day and rushed it out. Poor Orpheus.
To bad you didn't send a list, there was a 6 month period to get those list in

American Beauty, not on my list, but I'm so glad MoFo decided to honor Kevin Spacey's greatest film. I was really afraid people wouldn't vote for his films because of his controversy.
Spacey's greatest film is Se7en.

Master of My Domain
The only thing I don't like about him is his pursuit of a girl in high school. I wait til they get into college.
We here at MoFo love and respect horny yet consensual, law-abiding individuals

Originally Posted by Captain Spaulding
I'm not sure how anyone could confidently cite a one-time watch as a top-25 favorite, especially when you consider how many films most of us have seen. For me, re-watchability is by far the most important criteria when determining favorites. There's been a ton of films I thought were great on a first watch and would've cited as potential favorites, only to re-watch them and discover that they'd already peaked with that initial viewing. (Most often that seems to happen with plot-heavy films that offer no surprises or hidden layers on re-watches.) Whereas a surprisingly high percentage of my biggest favorites are films that I didn't love on a first viewing, or felt underwhelmed by in some sense, only to find myself drawn back to them again and again, each new re-watch more enriching than the last
Like I said before, I also value rewatchability quite a bit when coming up with favorites. Now, if the three I've only seen once come up on the list, I'll say more, but I suppose it's something that you feel about certain films. Those three I put in there were films that really blew me away as I was watching them and have stuck with me a lot.
Me too, I had 5 films in my Top 25 that I seen only once, I know! they are bonafide greats. I'd like to watch them again someday and probably will.

Back to Spaulding's original boner statement it's odd that he said that, I mean people can know their own minds. I sure in the hell can and if I watch a film and it BLOWS me away then I'm 100% confident it's a great film. Seems kind of vacillating to need to see a film a number of times before one can finally make up their mind.