The MoFo Top Film Sequels List - Voting

→ in
Tools    

For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad & the Ugly not sequels to a Fistful of Dollars? Hmm, one of my favorite trilogies, and trilogies are made up of an original and two sequels. Which is what the Dollars Trilogy is. Whether the stories tie directly together isn't necessarily the defining characteristic of a sequel. The Indiana Jones trilogy of the 80's didn't tie directly together. They were episodic, each story contained to itself, yet Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade are still obvious sequels to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Anyways, that aside, MoFo countdowns seem to work best when they come about organically, are discussed, and grow about naturally. Hopefully that will happen here. I do think it is cool tho that you want to run it MovieMeditation

For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad & the Ugly not sequels to a Fistful of Dollars? Hmm, one of my favorite trilogies, and trilogies are made up of an original and two sequels. Which is what the Dollars Trilogy is. Whether the stories tie directly together isn't necessarily the defining characteristic of a sequel. The Indiana Jones trilogy of the 80's didn't tie directly together. They were episodic, each story contained to itself, yet Temple of Doom and The Last Crusade are still obvious sequels to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Anyways, that aside, MoFo countdowns seem to work best when they come about organically, are discussed, and grow about naturally. Hopefully that will happen here. I do think it is cool tho that you want to run it MovieMeditation
Don't misunderstand me, I personally view them as sequels, because they are in some way, especially since it is widely known as The Dollars Trilogy, though that is a fan-made thing and not the director's choice. Therefore I just personally think that the director's opinion should come before fans' opinion - that has nothing to do with whether or not the films tie together story-wise, but purely the fact that they aren't made as sequels... The Three Colors Trilogy for example, I would most likely count into this list, since it maybe isn't connected story-wise, but the director did set out to make a trilogy, and did intent the follow-ups to be sequels in this given trilogy...

So the only thing we have to decide upon here is, if the fans' opinion and fan-made trilogies and franchise actually do count or not... If we agree upon what the films are generally known as, by the director or by the fans, then fine, we can include the Dollars Trilogy... I just hope we don't run into a trilogy or franchise were this is gonna be to big of a problem to decide upon.

i'd say a lenient approach of determining sequel designation, otherwise we may get lost in details and fun can be lost

anyways, if this countdown is going to happen, Sexy Celebrity - MoFo sequel god, should be included in the making of it. at least in some capacity

i'd say a lenient approach of determining sequel designation, otherwise we may get lost in details and fun can be lost

anyways, if this countdown is going to happen, Sexy Celebrity - MoFo sequel god, should be included in the making of it. at least in some capacity
he already is.

and yeah, because of the defficulty of this list, we probaby have to have loosely based rules, and then decide upon the given sequel individually... It looks like it is impossible to make ground rules for all sequels and their franchises.

I'll do some edits later on...

For a Few Dollars More and The Good, the Bad & the Ugly not sequels to a Fistful of Dollars? Hmm, one of my favorite trilogies, and trilogies are made up of an original and two sequels.
No, trilogies are a single story told in three, usually distinct, segments and were intended to be so from the start. Sadly marketing has bastardised that and now any three films with the same character(s) is called a trilogy. I can call a table a chair, but that doesn't make it one.

I'm not saying they aren't sequels, simply that it's not a trilogy.

No, trilogies are a single story told in three, usually distinct, segments and were intended to be so from the start. Sadly marketing has bastardised that and now any three films with the same character(s) is called a trilogy. I can call a table a chair, but that doesn't make it one.

I'm not saying they aren't sequels, simply that it's not a trilogy.
Maybe now i understand why you're not crazy for the 1980s Indiana Jones films

MM, I appreciate you taking the initiative, but I don't think this is a very interesting idea for a countdown, especially since there is already so much confusion over what constitutes a sequel. I could see this working better as a tournament, maybe. Or you could just declare The Godfather Part II the winner and move onto something better.

He's not crazy for the Indiana Jones films because he's got bad taste.
Oh, dear. She's copying Honeykid now. Calling someone's taste in movies bad and using a smiley with that kind of comment.

MM, I appreciate you taking the initiative, but I don't think this is a very interesting idea for a countdown, especially since there is already so much confusion over what constitutes a sequel. I could see this working better as a tournament, maybe. Or you could just declare The Godfather Part II the winner and move onto something better.
I'd rather do something like this as a "Mother of God" kind of countdown.

But I'm not against the idea of an actual sequel countdown, though. But I imagine it'll really, really, really disappoint me.

Well, **** this countdown. Looks like people have more hate than love for this to happen, and with the attitudes people bring I'd rather just end this right here. Yes, this is more ambitious and it's a challenge to establish, but I can't see why you can't just stay out of the thread if you only have hate and negative things to say. Or at least be patient to see what it turns out to be as this is still in its starting fase. But whatever.

I'm done.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Well, **** this countdown. Looks like people have more hate than love for this to happen, and with the attitudes people bring I'd rather just end this right here. Yes, this is more ambitious and it's a challenge to establish, but I can't see why you can't just stay out of the thread if you only have hate and negative things to say. Or at least be patient to see what it turns out to be as this is still in its starting fase. But whatever.

I'm done.

I gave you + rep for this comment because I agree with most of what you said about people who hate the idea of this should just stay out of this thread, but I just wish that you hadn't added that you're done with this idea. I thought it was a good idea, and I was looking forward to compiling my sequels list.

Well usually we only run one Countdown at a time, and you just started this thread without any feedback from the rest of the site. There should be a poll to decide on what we do after the 60s rather than someone just starting a thread declaring something nextt, and i personally would like to do the 50s, Documentaries, Horrors, etc all before Sequels. I'd actually prefer redoing the All Time/ Millenium lists before Sequels as well.

Personally I think it's about time we redo the all time list. It's been five years since the last one.
I thought we were doing 60s, Documentaries, 50s, All-Time - in that order. Well that's the order I'd like it to be anyway. I think docs would be interesting and there's a lot out there to watch. 50s is necessary (40s eventually) and then an all-time list redux as we've now watched a whole lot more movies since the last one, thanks in part to these countdowns, and we have a new group of regulars here.

Also, SC:

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I had trouble hearing what the people in the background were saying.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
After. This has been set on hold because of various edits that needs to be done and because it will probably end up as a better and more solid list if we take the time it needs.

Therefore this list doesn't have a specific date yet.
Works for me. At the moment I only 12 movies on my list.

Edit: Oh. MM is dropping the list? Is anyone else taking over or is it being scrapped entirely?

Okay everybody, I'm back from spending time in the darkest corner of my room crying in feetle position while burning pieces of paper with my most hated members on it.

Anyways, on a more serious note... I don't take back all of what I said, but I do take back the way I delivered my message. I am going through some tough times, and they all came quite sudden (as such things do) and therefore the bump of this Sequels List came at a bad time for me...

JUST TO CLEAR THINGS UP: This thread should remain open and all, but everything has been set on hold until the time is right. You don't have to worry about missing anything, or that this will never happen because it will. And I will of course bump the thread and promote the voting when this is happening. Although I think it will be clear when, cause it will most likely happen at a time where members feel like it is appropiate.

And FYI, I had never done a lise before and knew nothing about the rules and such so I just threw it out there and I'm sorry of that offended anyone or threw them off... and I understand it is sudden and everybody might be a little mad thinking this might be the next list while they'd rather do something else. This is NOT the next list. I realize there's a lot of members who came before me with their list, and a lot of lists which are more fitting at the time being and therefore they will, of course, be first.

This list will happen when the time is right. Don't worry about it not happening because it will. And if you don't won't to participate, even at another time, just keep a light tone. There is no one forcing you to participate. Anyways, I hope there is still members out there that wants to do it when the date is announced and everything is set.