Last Movie From 30-70s You Saw For The First Time, and Loved?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Visitors (1972)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069466/?ref_=rt_li_tt

If you like tension without the BS, check this movie out. It's rare I give a movie an 8/10, especially nowadays.. One of Kazan's best, the only movie of his that made the transition between the 50s and the more gritty and natural 70s.

Recently saw Give a Girl a Break (1953), The French Connection (1971), Dames (1934), Down Argentine Way (1940), and For Me and My Gal (1942) for the first time. Found Down Argentine Way a bit of a disappointment, but enjoyed the rest.

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973) and Sundays and Cybele (1962) are the last two.

Also Sunset Boulevard (1950) and The Other (1972) were good, but a tad below loved still.

Seventh Heaven (1937). Enchanting love story with Simone Simon and James Stewart

My best first time viewings this year from the decades in question:

West Side Story
Jason and the Argonauts
White Sun of the Desert
Her Name Was Lisa

The Day of the Jackal. It's one of the movies that make you ask, "why haven't I seen this until now?" It's thrilling, terrifying and beautifully shot.

The Spirit of the Beehive (1973) and Sundays and Cybele (1962) are the last two.

Also Sunset Boulevard (1950) and The Other (1972) were good, but a tad below loved still.

"Sundays and Cybele" was a unique movie I liked.

I like "Sunset Boulevard" but I wonder if you'd like "All About Eve" more. Have you seen it? They're kinda similar, and released in the same year.

Kings of the Road (1976)
As for my favorite first-time watch of each decade:

30's: Duck Soup
40's: Red River
50's: All About Eve
60's: Kes
70's: Kings of the Road

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937) is excellent, and will make you feel feelings.

As for my favorite first-time watch of each decade:

30's: Duck Soup
40's: Red River
50's: All About Eve
60's: Kes
70's: Kings of the Road
All About Eve is sooo good.

I'll play this with what I watched last year...

30's: The Invisible Man (1933)
40's: Late Spring (1949)
50's: Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
60's: The Graduate (1967)
70's: Harold and Maude (1971)

Make Way for Tomorrow (1937) is excellent, and will make you feel feelings.
As Orson Welles said, "It would make a stone cry"

I love the scene with the car dealer.

As Orson Welles said, "It would make a stone cry"
I wonder what people could find if they used the forum search to find my posts regarding Make Way for Tomorrow. A differing opinion, perhaps

And I added All About Eve to my watchlist. It doesn't seem like a film I'd immediately rush to see, but maybe one day.

All About Eve is sooo good.

I'll play this with what I watched last year...

30's: The Invisible Man (1933)
40's: Late Spring (1949)
50's: Sweet Smell of Success (1957)
60's: The Graduate (1967)
70's: Harold and Maude (1971)
All About Eve is probably my favorite first-time watch of this year so far. I plan to revisit it soon to see if it cracks my favorites list.

Late Spring is my favorite film from your list, closely followed by Harold and Maude. I've been meaning to rewatch Sweet Smell of Success. My reaction to it was "I think I need to amend my definition of classic noir". I haven't seen the other two films on your list, but I'll keep an eye out for them. The Graduate has been on my watchlist for a while.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Touch of Evil (1958). Now that was a movie!

I wonder what people could find if they used the forum search to find my posts regarding Make Way for Tomorrow. A differing opinion, perhaps
Boredom is a feeling!