Captain Corelli's Mandolin

→ in
Tools    

I was watching the Meet the Parents dvd (which is chock-a-block full of Special Features!) and in the back is a preview of Captain Corelli's Mandolin. (And The Mummy Returns!) Well, the Mummy looks great! And so does CCM.

Beautiful score and visuals, looks like a winner, maybe award material until Captail Corelli turns around and... it's Nicolas Cage. Aww crap.

I don't know. If he plays it straight he will return to my list of people who can act. If he starts yelling and making faces I fear that will be the end of any hopes he has of being taken as a serious actor. Hopefully I'll eat my words later.

Why was this movie made? Nobody will want to watch a movie with the word "Mandolin" in it. And Nic Cage is the last actor on earth you'd associate with a mandolin. They would get better box office if they re-titled this "Captain Corelli's Really Big Instrument."

MovieForums Extra
LOL @ Pigsnie

I just saw the movie yesterday, I gotta admit, in all honesty, that I loved it! Mind you, I'm not a big Nicolas Cage fan (he's got about as much talent as Pamela Anderson ), but he sure did surprise me with this one!

The thing that bugged me the most from start to finish was the *crappy* italian accents, but you quickly get used to them, and the movie flows from there. If you want a love story of Titanic proportions (withouth the $250 million budget ), then this is the movie to go and see!

I reckon it might even do well at the Oscars, if critics try and see beyond the accents...

I hope john madden never makes another movie again
BTW: the book sucked too
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

the book did not suck! it was great! and if they'd have stuck to it instead of that stupid mushy ending the film would have been good too!
but i just couldnt take it seriously when every time Nick Cage spoke i expected someone to come round the corner singing 'just one cornetto!"
and i forgive John Madden of all his sins as Shakespeare in Love was great.

I liked the novel OK, but I can't imagine putting myself through two hours of Nic Cage struggling with his Italian accent or Penelope Cruz as a supposed Greek. I thought Shakespeare in Love was fine, but vastly overrated.

So no thanks.

John Madden did shakespear in love?? I did like that,and yes, if they would have stuck with the book it woulda been better

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
So this movie isn't even qualifying for a chick flick? Or it was just bad bad.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

It wasn't a bad film though; I liked it. The strange attempts at accents were amusing.

So how much did this makein the US? Not a lot I bet. And Nicolas cage is gonna be in another ww2 movie right?

Yeah, Nicholas Cage is doing another WWII movie I think it will be out in June or thereabouts though I could be wrong. It's directed by John Woo and it's called Windtalkers.

As far as Captain Correllie's Mandolin the book I thought it was quite good...it was in fact one of the books that I had to read for extra reading in my AP English class and I thought that it was quite good..but in my opinion there is no way that they could have made a good movie out of that book it wasn't really possible...especially with the casting of Nicholas Cage and Penelope Cruz who were totally wrong for the parts!